The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 11, 2010, 02:15 PM   #1
rooster2022

new to reloading have a billion questions

Yes folks I am still a virgin to the reloading business. I Have been an avid hunter 5-10 time a year and have always used otc rounds for the last 10 or so years. Well this year I received a Tikka t3 300wsm to add to my hunting arsenal. Love it quickly became my favorite rifle. One problem ne hunt worthy round is $60 per box and up. I have noticed i am spending almost the same for the 7mm mag and the 30.60 as well. So in my frugal desperation to shoot as much as i can a year i was thinking of reloading. Actually i have been contemplating it for the last few years. So now the questions. I get the equipment list ie press, scale, trimmer, dies, etc. The problem i am having is parts for the 300 wsm. I was looking at lee brand ( new still trying to keep price down) but i cant find a round holders for the 300. I guess I am just overwhelmed with all the crap out their and am looking for a push in the right direction. This is what I am thinking of so far as far as equipment goes.

L.E. Wilson Case Trimmer
Frankford Arsenal Electronic Caliper 6" Stainless Steel
Lee 4 Hole Turret Press with Auto Index Deluxe Kit
L.E. Wilson Chamfer and Deburring Tool
RCBS RangeMaster 750 Electronic Powder Scale 750 Grain Capacity 110 Volt
Lee Auto Prime Hand Priming Tool and shell holders cant find one for the 300?
and a tumbler idn with one yet.

Ne advise would be wonderful. Should i look at something else this list is already around $300 and that is before bullets powder primers and brass. Am i really going to gain that back +? I am not a target shooter just do it to keep the skill up for hunting. Thanks for ne advise you can give and for the wonderful site to assesses the info.
Old March 11, 2010, 02:38 PM   #2
oneounceload

If you aren't going to shoot a lot, then, IMO there are two alternatives to buying all that new stuff. First would be to find a friend who has the equipment - you buy your dies and components and have him show you and let you load on his stuff. Second would be to buy used equipment in good shape for about 1/3 the price of new.

There are other items on your list you'll find useful, like an inertia bullet puller for the "oops" we all make from time to time.

Others will add to that list..........
Old March 11, 2010, 02:39 PM   #3
crimsondave

300wsm just uses a #5 holder just like most common magnums.
Old March 11, 2010, 03:14 PM   #4
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day and welcome.

Reloading manuals, you should have at least one.
The Lee collet press is a good single stage press that will be a bit cheaper but a little slower. If you are planing to weigh each charge, then it will be great for your application.

Dies.

Last edited by SKULLANDCROSSBONES65; March 12, 2010 at 05:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old March 11, 2010, 03:55 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Lee has a collet die. I think you mean the Lee Classic Cast press, and there I completely agree. That single-stage press is the best bargain on the reloading market today, being made of investment case salvaged train rail steel. It is very strong and has a lot of leverage for the big cases.

Lee has an excellent library of help videos to show you how to set your dies up, whichever press you choose.

I agree completely with the choice of the L.E. Wilson tools. I prefer the Markel priming tool by K&M Services. It is one primer at a time, but affords the best possible feel of primer touchdown if you adjust it out correctly. It has an option dial indicator that will tell you when you've gone 0.002" or 0.003" below touchdown, as Federal recommends for small and large primers, respectively.

Whether you use the Lee or the Markel tool, they work with the Lee Autoprime type shell holders. #90198 is the kit of 11 sizes. The .300 Win Mag uses #5. Scroll down this page to see the.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; March 11, 2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old March 11, 2010, 06:01 PM   #6
NWPilgrim

Rooster,

Handloading will really pay off for those larger capacity and rifle cartridges.

I don't load any magnum cartridges but I do the .30-06 and .308, among others.

You have a good start to your set up. I prefer manula versions of scale and caliper but electronic should be fine. Some suggestions:

- Get an inertia bullet puller or press mounted collet bullet puller
- Two reloading manuals, like the Lee Modern reloading and something like the Sierra, Lyman, Nosler, or Speer manuals
- You will need case lube; I prefer RCBS or Hornady spray lubes, but Dillon and Midaway have good stuff too
- I would use the Lee Safety Prime (press mounted) rather than the hand priming tool; it works really well on the turret press
- Of course with the case trimmer you will need case holders for the different cartridges (about $7-$9 ea I think)
- Reloading block to hold the cases, even though you technically don;t need one with a turret press I find them handy for holding case to spray lube on them and other things

I have never an instance in which handloading won't save at least 50% of costs, and that is compared with bulk ammo prices. Premium ammo should give you even greater savings and you can select whatever bullet construction and weight you want.

My one piece of advice is especially for rifle handloading, take your time. Handgun ammo is less picky because accuracy is not needed at the same level as a rifle (2-3" at 25 yds is good enough, compared to 1-2" at 100 yds). But rifle will be shot comparatively less rounds per session so you should not try to pump them out as fast as possible, but really take the time to make sure the case is done properly, the primers are seated right, the powder is charged consistently and the bullet is seated correctly.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 11, 2010, 07:05 PM   #7
NWPilgrim

UncleNick, where do you find the Markel tool? I don't see it at Sinclair or Midway. Sounds like a great tool for precision.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 11, 2010, 08:04 PM   #8
rooster2022

wow

Again wow what a response. I will lock around for some used equipment. thanks.
Old March 11, 2010, 08:22 PM   #9
rottieman33

I load .308 a friend of mine found this website were you put in the price of powder,primer,bullets and brass. For me to reload cost me about $8.50 per 20 rounds compared to $18.00 for 20 rounds OTC.
Old March 11, 2010, 08:40 PM   #10
golfballshootr

You will realize a monetary gain after some time reloading that offsets the cost of the equipment even if you don't shoot that much. It may take you 5 years at today's prices to break even, but even so, you can expect the ammo price, as well as reloading components, to climb ever higher during those same five years.

As for the actual act of the reloading, take the advice many others have already given you and get yourself some of the many available manuals that are out there. Read them many, many times before you ever start the process and then, start out towards the lower end on the charge for your round. There are some combination's that work better with the lower end and if it isn't where you want, you have the room to go up. If you start out on the high end of the extreme and have an accident due to going for the gusto right out of the blocks, it would not be good.

Take your time, and be extra observant in what you do and consistent in how you do it.

Who knows, you may get into it so much that, you end up having the addiction to do it, and that $300 initial cost didn't seem that large!

Good luck.
Old March 11, 2010, 09:28 PM   #11
rooster2022

Ok so no one has recomended the 4 way over the single stage press. is this an acresym thing or are they junk. i will only be using it one stage at a time untill i get the hang of it. The last tresd brought out a point my wife has been concerned with. Bad mistakes. what are some of the potintial out comes. i am not stupid. (just cant spell to save my life) i have a degree in bio chem. i would like to save my hands and face how ever. is that a possiblity. i would never over load or charge a round. I fell that it is reclewss and well stupid. That being said. NE one selling some older stuff lol.
Old March 12, 2010, 12:09 AM   #12
coptersteve

new to reloading

rooster2022, I have a lee 4 hole turret press. It works great. If you take the rod out of the middle of the press it acts like a single stage. You've gotten great advice so far. Here's my 2 cents. Check out You Tube. Type in what you want to reload and see what comes up. You will learn in a hurry what the other guys are doing. Plus get the book the ABC's of reloading. About 20 bucks at Barnes and Noble, you may find one cheaper on e-bay. Buy your equipment from midway usa. Great service, great prices. I have a speer load book and the Lee modern reloading book. Check out Leeprecision.com. Everyone is concerned with making mistakes. Take your time. Don't get distracted. Read these forums. You'll do fine.

Good Luck

Coptersteve
Old March 12, 2010, 12:39 AM   #13
crimsondave

Quote:
Take your time. Don't get distracted. Read these forums. You'll do fine.
and when Unclenick posts.....LISTEN!
Old March 12, 2010, 12:45 AM   #14
Jim243

No the Lee Classic Turret press is anything but junk, but it's best use is in making handgun ammo. To start out with a single stage press would be the best for you to use for what you want to do. I have the Lee 4 hole Classic Turret and would recommend it to everyone that needs to turn out lots of rounds, but on rifle I do only 20 of them at a time and then test them. Once I have the correct combination of components for my rifle I will then do them 50 at a time. This I do on a single stage RCBS Rock Chucker press eventhough I have the Lee Classic. Loading for rifle is a different process than loading for handgun, it can be done on Classic Turret but makes more sense on a single stage press. Lee also make some very good single stage presses too.

I noticed that your list did not include a "powder measure" for despensing gun powder. If you are purchasing the Lee Dies they come with a "dipper" that you can despense powder with, I would recommend that you get yourself a "powder trickler" to use to get your charge up to what you want with your scale, this is how I started loading rifle till I purchase a very expensive electronic powder dispenser about three years after I started reloading.

You will need something to trim your cases with, may I recommend a Lee Zip Trim and you will need to purchase both the "cutter handle" and a "case length gauge" for the caliber you will be trimming.

I have a web page that has the basic equipment and choices on that might be of help:

http://targetshooter.jmlco.com/reloading_2.htm

Good luck and don't forget to get some reloading manuals.

Jim
Old March 12, 2010, 01:26 AM   #15
rooster2022

Ok a single stage it is. i am thingk that is best. i shoot around 600 rounds a year so at least i will have something to do. thanks for the link good info. my dad use to reload so i now have his trimer tumbler and a 505 scale. money saved. again thanks
Old March 12, 2010, 03:31 AM   #16
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. Try this cartridge cost calculator.
Old March 12, 2010, 08:43 AM   #17
Uncle Buck

Rooster, Welcome to the forum and the wonderfully addictive hobby of reloading.

When it comes to shell holders, I wish I had shelled out a few more dollars and bought the set of twelve that Lee offers. I was only going to load for one round, then I decided to load for another, then.... Well, you get the idea. In the long run it would have been cheaper to just purchase the set of twelve.

I bought two loading blocks before I discovered I could make the same thing with a drill bit and a block of wood. They come in handy not just for reloading. When I unload my guns, I place the shells in the loading block so they do not roll all over the place while I am cleaning the guns.

Check out some of the used bookstores in your area, they may have a manual or two on reloading.

Some areas I would never scrimp on would be Quality. Cheap does not always translate into money saved when you have to constantly replace something that is broken.

You have also found one of the best sources for answering questions you may have, right here on TFL. These guys helped me figure-out all the questions I had and provided some very sound advice.