The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 10, 2010, 08:12 PM   #1
spacecoast

I like Remington primers

I had been using CCI primers up until last night, then broke into a box of Remington small pistol primers. I like the way they are a little more squared off than the CCIs. Just an aesthetic thing mainly, the color is a little different too. They are also packed more efficiently into the boxes, on their sides rather than flat. When I'm using them, I dump them into a small flat tray so I can pick them up easily (hand press).

Last edited by spacecoast; March 11, 2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old March 11, 2010, 12:15 AM   #2
medalguy

I prefer Remington too. Smaller packaging and they load into a primer flip tray easier than most other brands. And, I like the brass colored primers, look more like military primers when loaded so it's easier to pick out my brass when I shoot with a friend who likes to use CCI silver primers.

Have you ever gotten a tray with missing primers? Happened to me several times where there are one or two primers missing out of a new tray. Also gotten a couple of primers missing the anvil, nowhere to be found. When you're producing gazillions of primers, stuff happens.
Old March 11, 2010, 08:24 AM   #3
spacecoast

No missing primers yet, but I've only gone through about 3000 of them so far.
Old March 11, 2010, 07:39 PM   #4
Smokey Joe

SP primers...

I used to think that primers made a difference. I still think they do, for RIFLE applications, with an accurate enough rifle.

However, loading for pistol is, as they say, an equine of a separate spectral radiation.

I shoot league bullseye with a .357 revolver, so have loaded "a few" small pistol primers. I've used CCI, Remington, Federal, and Winchester primers that I can recall--NO OBSERVABLE DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE OF THE RESULTANT AMMUNTION. None. I have a box of Magtech primers that I'll try one of these days. I expect it'll be no different.

There are so many factors that go into accurate pistol shooting, most of them coming under the general heading of "operator error," that any performance differences caused by the primer are infinitesimally small.

--Smokey Joe
Old March 11, 2010, 07:56 PM   #5
orionengnr

Well, a lot of people seem to think that CCI makes a "harder" primer, so if you have had any work done to your gun (esp revolvers) such as lighter springing, you may suffer misfire with a hard primer.

I prefer Winchester primers, because I have had absolutely zero misfires with any of my semi autos or revolvers while using them.

I have had a number of misfires with Wolf LP primers, a few with CCI, and a few with Magtech.

None with Remington so far, but an insignificant sample size so far with them.
Old March 12, 2010, 06:45 PM   #6
greco

Maybe it's just me, but the brass colored Remington primers always seemed to fit tight in the primer pockets. Sometimes they have to be forced more than I like. On the other hand, when loading brass with loose pockets, they fit just right.