The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 6, 2010, 06:08 PM   #1
joyrock

32acp reloading data?

Ok, this is going to sound odd. The LEE reloading data says for UNIQUE use 2.5gr as starting and never exceed 2.5gr? But Alliant says 3.2gr (MAX?) (http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...tid=21&bdid=14). So I started with 1.9gr and 2.0gr, just to see what would happen. Well they fired and hit there target, but just piked on the top (I shoot phone books). So I upped the charge to 2.3gr. And it went in deeper, but there still not `off the shelf' and at 2.3gr seemed really weak. So why does LEE say 2.5? and Alliant says 3.2? Should I just jump to 2.8-3.0gr? I also have Alliant 2400 on hand, I have read that 4.0gr of 2400 works? Any ideas? Thanks. Matt.
Old March 6, 2010, 08:08 PM   #2
Don P

All well and good,BUT bullet weight would be helpfull. here is a site with lots of info.
http://stevespages.com/311p_1.html
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 6, 2010, 09:20 PM   #3
joyrock

Thanks, I have been using 71gr FMJ, the 2.0gr charge is just to to weak. So I will up it to 2.5, and then try 2.8. Is it just me, or does it seem that Alliant 2400 will work in allmost anything?
Old March 7, 2010, 04:53 PM   #4
jal5

You might try Bullseye, got some great results using it with 71 gr. RN plated projectiles.

Joe
Old March 7, 2010, 06:15 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

2400 is too slow. It will burn incompletely, inconsistently, and dirty in amounts that will fit in the .32 ACP case.

The Lee manual lists loads from other manuals. They didn't develop their own loads for it. To be safe, it generally lists the lowest starting load and smallest maximum load among all the manuals and other data they found.

The Sierra manual puts 2.7 grains of Unique as maximum. QuickLOAD says that will run around 13,00 psi when the case and barrel length give Sierra's 900 fps number from a case with 10.2 grains of water capacity in a barrel 3.86" long (Sierra's number). Most U.S. load manuals seem to limit themselves to right around 15,000 psi with the cartridge. The CIP, however, rates it up at 1600 bar, which converts to 23,206 psi (I don't have the SAAMI pressure limit in my data). It should remembered Europeans used it as a police cartridge for a long time. Which pressure limit you want to observe will depend on the strength and age of your gun. Powder charges will be approximately 20% higher for the CIP limit than they are for the 15 kpsi limit.

In my estimation, even Unique is a bit on the slow side for the tiny bit of powder space in this cartridge. Another issue is that unless you weigh every charge, the metering difficulty that Unique is famous for could be a problem in .32 ACP. I would strongly suggest you use Winchester 231 (a.k.a., Hodgdon HP38) because the spherical propellants are the easiest to meter consistently from a measure, and that is appropriate in these little cases for safety reasons.

Hodgodon, observing the 15 kpsi limit, lists 2.1 to 2.3 grains of either 231 or Hp38 as the load range with 71 grain FMJ's seated to 0.978" COL.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; March 9, 2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old March 8, 2010, 11:45 PM   #6
amamnn

+1 on the 231 ---or bull's eye if you keep a close eye on the charge weight,
both have worked fine in my .32
Old March 10, 2010, 01:10 AM   #7
chris in va

My Lyman manual lists a 71gr FMJ at .984oal with 2.0-3.1max of Unique.

It also points out that Bullseye and HP-38 are the most accurate of the powders tested.
Old March 10, 2010, 03:57 PM   #8
Clark

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

I have done some hot loads with a stock Kel-Tec P32
a) 71 gr 6.8 gr AA#5 .984"
b) 60 gr Gold Dot, 6.5 gr Power Pistol, .970", lots of trouble getting all that powder to fit.

And I have done even hotter in the P32 after I TIG welded up the feed ramp.
a) 110 gr 5.2 gr Power Pistol, 110 gr 1.175", penetrates 5" Douglas Fir, sheared off slide stop/ejector
Too much recoil broke the pistol
Old March 10, 2010, 04:45 PM   #9
oneounceload

When I reloaded 32ACP, it was with both Unique and Universal and both loads were right about 2.5 grains.

IIRC, so were my 32SWL loads in an older gun....

In any event, no load was over 2.7, so be careful when you get into 3+ range, watch for pressure
Old March 10, 2010, 05:16 PM   #10
joyrock

Thanks, I'm putting this in my 1917 Frommer Stop. I started reloading cuz I can't seem to find 32acp (well cheap for me to shoot it(20$ a box from wal-mart, if they got it)). And I have been told that the Frommer need a `stiff' round to get it to work the long recoil. So far the new ammo I have got (seems to get pricer every time I buy it) does not work well. I just got some S&B (steel jacketed bullets?), from what I have been told it works well. I have not shot any of them yet. If I'm lucky I will this week end. Well when I have the time, I will work up to some higher powder charges. What should I look for as for over-pressure goes? Thanks again, Matt
Old March 11, 2010, 04:09 PM   #11
Clark

The guppy belly case bulge [from feed ramp intruding under thin case wall ahead of the case web] or primer piecing threshold may be very close to book loads for some 40sw pistols, but the same pressure signs are a long way from book loads for most 32acp pistols.
Old March 11, 2010, 04:25 PM   #12
rattletrap1970

If you don't want to beat the gun up too much by running max loads and you find it isn't cycling properly, you can always get a lighter recoil spring for it.

You may not find an off the shelf solution, but if you:
1. Remove the spring and count the number of total coils
2. The free length (uncompressed)
3. Measure the diameter of the wire the spring is made of
4. Measure the inside or outside diameter of the spring (whichever is the pertinent to how the spring fits in the gun)
You may be able to find a spring that is a close enough fit. Based on the info from the spring you have you should be able to determine the rating for that spring.

Then find something with a "Slightly" lower rating. Lets say (hypothetically) your spring is a 4 lb spring, you may be able to find a 3-1/2, etc.

So if you find a light load that is accurate, you may want to tune the gun to your load.