The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 17, 2009, 06:56 AM   #1
Bella

Mid-Range Side By Sides

The only type of shotgun I am missing in my collection is a double barrel, the side-by-side ones. I have been thinking of getting one. Does anyone one make a middle of the road double barrel shotgun?

It seems that you can buy cheap imported double barrel shotguns, or ones that would require a second mortgage to buy. I don't want a cheap one and I would like to remain married to my current wife.

So, are there any double barrel shotguns that split the price difference between these two extremes?
Old October 17, 2009, 08:28 AM   #2
kentucky_smith

For something better than a Stevens 311, I would look for an SKB 100 or Browning BSS. I have an SKB sxs in 20 gauge and it's my usual carry bird gun.

I would skip anything made in Turkey, Brazil or Russia.
Old October 17, 2009, 12:50 PM   #3
darkgael

SXS

Does it have to be new?
Maybe we don't make many SXSs anymore but we used to make some very fine doubles in this country. Many are available. You could look into those. Try Parker, L.C. Smith, Fox/ Sterlingworth, LeFever, Ithaca.
You don't say what "middle of the road" means to you but many of these can be had in field ready condition for well under $1K and will probably outlast you.
Pete
Old October 17, 2009, 05:52 PM   #4
oneounceload

Used Uggies are probably your best bet-will run about 1,000, but they will last
Old October 17, 2009, 06:16 PM   #5
Waterengineer

If I needed new in box I would probably do this. However, they are single trigger and pistol grip, which is not what I think of when I and thinking sxs, I want two triggers and a straight stock.

Franchis usually have some OK wood. And they got 'em in 12 and 20 bore. Oh, yes, and for what it is worth, they are non-selective - the right tube goes bang first.

http://www.whittakerguns.com/

(Scroll down a little)

Single Oz., is right about the Spanish guns.

By the way, $1K is no where close to the "mid-range" for a sxs new or used.

Last edited by Waterengineer; October 17, 2009 at 06:37 PM.