The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 10, 2009, 01:54 PM   #1
Doodlebugger45

After taking a 9 month break from shooting my 44 magnum...

Last night I brought my 44 magnum out of the closet and shot it again for the first time in about 9 months. It's a great revolver (S&W 629 with an 8 3/8" barrel) and I used to shoot it quite a bit. But last year I got to shooting my new SA revolvers in 357 and 45 Colt a quite a bit. Ever since I started reloading for them, I've been consumed with shooting them every chance I got, trying to find the best loads and just trying to get comfortable with them. Anyway, last night I shot the 44 again. Boy! I guess I had just gotten so comfortable shooting relatively moderate loads that I forgot what real recoil felt like! It wasn't bad, mind you, and the 5 shot groups were still WAY better than the other revolvers. It's just eye-opening though. Even a fairly hot 357 mag load doesn't punish you like the full-power 44 mag loads do. After 3 cylinders full, I remembered how the trigger guard can really rap your knuckles in a painful fashion. After 5 cylinders full, I figured I had had enough fun for the evening.

It sure is nice to pull out a gun that you haven't shot in quite awhile, just knowing that you are going to shoot some nice tight groups again.

Anybody else occasionally put an old shooting friend in the closet for awhile only to re-discover what a joy it is to shoot again? It's almost like the thrill of getting a new gun.
Old June 10, 2009, 02:46 PM   #2
batmann

I think we all have an old favorite that we 'bypass' for something newer. My old favorite is not a handgun, but my Winchester 9422 in .22Mag. I 'bypass' it then I will grab a box of ammo and hit the range with it and my Ruger Super Single Six with the Mag cyl and I'm left wondering why I don't do it more often.

Last edited by batmann; June 10, 2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old June 11, 2009, 12:57 AM   #3
EK and KK in FM

Ruger Single Six

First handgun I ever bought--nearly 40 years ago. Had it stored for over 30 years, including several moves and finally "found" it again. Cleaned it up--amazingly--it wasn't too bad, a little rust, but it looks great again. And what FUN TO SHOOT! For just "plinking" at the range, it's a blast, plus accurate as heck. I shoot more .22LR than mags, but LOVE the sound of the mags when I shoot them. Glad to rediscover an old friend.