The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old April 27, 2009, 07:07 PM   #26
Willie Lowman

I bought a PACT timer and my friends and I play a game I call the shotgun relay.

Shooting stations are set up with 4 pop cans set about 10 yards from where the shooter will stand. At each shooting station there is a box with 4 birdshot shells in it.

At the buzzer the shooter loads the gun, shoots the 4 cans, runs to the next shooting staion (usually 20 yards away), loads the gun, shoots the 4 cans, etc.

I use 3x3 landscaping posts to elevate some of the cans.

5 second penalty for missing a can.
Old April 30, 2009, 05:10 PM   #27
SigSauerIsBetter

Nice...

Anyone have good carbine drills?
Old May 1, 2009, 11:28 AM   #28
Willie Lowman

Quote:
and when training my daughter with a pellet gun the 16oz-2liter bottle shaken up nice and tight waa always fun to watch the explosion on contact.
I have become a mild legend at the local wal-mart check-lanes.

Once a month, in the summer, I go through with 6-10 24packs of Sam's Choice Cola and one 20 ounce of Mtn. Dew. They used to ask me why I had one Dew and all that cola. I told them I didn't drink the cola...

Now when I do that, someone always asks "Are you the guy that shoots this stuff" Guilty as charged.
Old May 3, 2009, 05:37 PM   #29
YARDDOG(1)

GAMES??

There is no games in shooting gun... / Now thats of my chest there is compatition, Matches & other fun safe things to shoot But to call em Games No No STAY ARMED & SAFE Y/D
Old May 4, 2009, 06:00 PM   #30
fatboy02

Winter months we like to use frozen blocks of Ice as reactive targets add some food coloring for the long distance stuff and icecubes are great for the .22 rifles at a distance. Pistols are fun with frozen blocks too.

We also made a J channel run for clay pigons a spring loaded pin hooked to a string will release one at a time and roll down the j channel to shoot a moveing target.
Old May 4, 2009, 06:54 PM   #31
Hellbilly5000

Also for those of you that play golf. Grab a driver (or any other club besides a putter) and start hitting golf balls. Have a buddy about 7 to 10 feet to your left or right and a few feet in front of you (which ever side you tend to hit to) and let him shoot them out of the sky
Old May 6, 2009, 10:53 AM   #32
Glenn E. Meyer

Please specify where and with what firearm you use to do this.

Without a shotgun's limited range with small shot - this could be extremely dangerous as you are shooting at an upward angle and rifle and pistol round go a long way.
Old May 6, 2009, 12:15 PM   #33
grymster2007

Quote:
Also for those of you that play golf.
Should we let faster players play through?
Old May 6, 2009, 05:54 PM   #34
SemperFly

Pistol Poker

We take a chunk of cardboard and two decks of cards. Line the cards up in rows and then take turns at shots to see who gets the best poker hand. Throwing an ante into the pot is recommended and winner takes the pot.
Old May 7, 2009, 11:23 AM   #35
davlandrum

Helium balloons are fun. I got to do this last weekend. They bob and weave in the slightest breeze, making it a real challenge with your carry pistol.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old May 8, 2009, 03:51 AM   #36
firsttimefirearms123

Great drills

Here is an online drill search - by handgun or rifle:

http://www.rangelog.com/Resources/Se...5/Default.aspx

Does anyone know of any good drills to help prepare for competing in an IPSC tournament?
Old May 10, 2009, 07:08 PM   #37
m&p45acp10+1

Modified range poker

My brother and I take 2 decks of cards, a stapler and cardboard. shuffle one deck a few times to mix the cards up, then in rows of 4 across space and glue or staple to the cardboard. It works better if participants are not the ones putting them on the board. set up the board at a distance. We do 50 or 100 yards with 22lr rifles. take the other deck and shuffle it. The shooter then draws a card. they are then timed and have to shoot the matching card on the board. Set a time limit that is challenging. If you do not make the time or miss your round is over. First one to hit 5 wins the round.
This is great to help in selctive targeting under the pressure of time. it is challenging and fun, and can be played safely at a range. Last time we played quite a few others at the range joined in the game and it was quite a good time.
Old May 12, 2009, 09:33 PM   #38
the rifleer

I like shooting military rifles at long range.

I went skeet shooting with some friends an absolutely loved it. I likes it so much i went out and bought myself a shotgun to shoot clays with. Im not interested so much in competition, but simply shooting clays.

Its gotten to the point where i am trying to replicate things that tom knapp does, such as put a shell in your mouth (gun completely unloaded) throw the clay by hand, load the gun and shoot the bird. you gotta be pretty fast to do that.

then there is throw 3 clays by hand and shoot them. (3 is my current limit, tom knapp can do 9, with a benelli of course)

One thing a friend an i did was with an airgun One of us would turn around and promiss not to peek and the other would go hide a soda can in the bushes and then you had to find it an shoot it as quickly as possible. that's fun, but you spend more time hiding the can than you do shooting.

then there is the, put two soda can, one on top of the other at 50 yards and hit the top one without hitting the bottom one with a shotgun. if you aim about a foot above it you can pull it off.
Old August 8, 2010, 03:02 PM   #39
Jo6pak

I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to add a few of the range games we do. Freindly competition, more for fun, but also for bragging rights

7-up
Tactical carbine or combat pistol.
Timed, Quick action drill.

Set-up
1= Take 7 boxes and mark them consecutively (1,2,3...etc) large enough to easily read from 40-66 metres. (black duct tape work great)
2= Affix a 9" balloon to the top of each box. (Balloon size can be modified to suit your personal preferences)
3= Arrange boxes between 40-60 yards (for carbines) or 15-30 yards for pistol. (You can alter the distance as you see fit.) This is meant to be a quick action game as opposed to a precision shooting drill.
4= Have the shooter turn around and mix up the boxes, Both range and order can be changed, but try to keep the ranges similar for each shooter.

Shooter up
1= The shooter starts on firing line with weapon unloaded and back turned to targets.
2= On "GO" the shooter must turnaround, insert magazine and shoot the targets in numerical order.
3= Shooting targets out of order is an automatic disqualification.

Fastest time wins

We often limit the number of rounds in a mag to 10. This helps level the field for our friends that shoot SKS, M1, 1911s, etc. It also essentially gives a time penalty for missing more than 3 times (since a reload is required.)

Ill gladly post a few more games if you guys wish.
Old August 10, 2010, 07:43 PM   #40
Sgt.Saputo

I got a fun one for ya just takes a few cheap things. You need cannon fuse which is cheap and can be bought at any fireworks store (make sure to get the thick kind), firecrackers or those fireworks flares, and some plywood. Now setup a large piece of plywood downrange (distance varies with skill and firearms), take some heavy duty clear tape (the kind used for sealing boxes when you ship them) and tape the fuse and your choice of firework on the board(paper wrapped pyrodex works a bit like a flare and there's no explosion to worry about). Make sure that you put a foot a foot or so off of the board so a runner will have time to light it and get back behind the shooter (At this time rifles should be on SAFE and out of the hands of shooter because we don't want someone getting shot). On the board paint (or use a marker) a clearly visible red line, the shooter cannot load or fire his weapon until the fuse burns down to this mark. At this point the shooter loads his weapon and attempts to sever the fuse before it sets off your firework. When you miss you are out, continue until one person is left. It's always fun for everyone to throw a dollar in the pot and give the money to the winner.

**PLEASE**
always remember to keep your weapon unloaded until your runner gets behind you. I will not be responsible if someone is hurt due to their own stupidity.

Have fun, but BE SAFE!

"Stock padding? Mosin not cater to girly men. Mosin tough like hammer, take abuse, keep fighting. Defend homeland!!!" -spetznaz1337

Last edited by Sgt.Saputo; August 10, 2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old August 26, 2010, 02:55 PM   #41
Sgt.Saputo

Ok so here is another one not quite as crazy as the last. Most of you don't know but I am a huge zombie fan, I love all things zombies.
You will require at least 1 friend for this. You will also need a nice big piece of wooded property with no other houses around.

You can order zombie targets online for next to nothing, or you can find zombie pictures and print them to make your own. Have your friend place targets on the sides of the trail while you stay back in the house so the locations will be unknown to you. Grab a shotgun and sidearm and head off into the woods following the trail and trying to eliminate all the targets. For added fun use water bottles filled with jelly or fake blood and tape them to the back of the target where the head is to simulate brains (the kids love this ). It's always a blast to have the friend follow behind you with a stopwatch and see how quick you can be. You can then get fresh targets and do the same only with your friend shooting and you with the stopwatch. Have fun and be safe!

"Stock padding? Mosin not cater to girly men. Mosin tough like hammer, take abuse, keep fighting. Defend homeland!!!" -spetznaz1337
Old August 26, 2010, 03:12 PM   #42
oneounceload

Try something a little humbling like sporting clays or FITASC.....
Old August 26, 2010, 04:22 PM   #43
Sgt.Saputo

^ but that's much to simple......

Old August 26, 2010, 05:34 PM   #44
g.willikers

And the winner is......................
Sgt, Saputo.
Zombies, shotguns and red goo.
What a great idea.
Halloween isn't too far off, either.
Might be just the thing for a fun match at the local club, too.
Old August 26, 2010, 06:48 PM   #45
Sgt.Saputo

I can't take all the credit . I have been watching hickok45 on YT for awhile now and got the idea from one of his videos, I just added what I thought would make it more fun and what I thought was lacking.

Here is a link, enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzQku-3IZLM

He's actually a real cool guy with some awesome videos.

Old August 27, 2010, 10:57 AM   #46
g.willikers

Hickok's tactics could sure stand some improvement.
Maybe he needs to review those zombie documentaries more.
Forgetting to reload after each engagement, running out of ammo altogether, not using the trees for cover, making enough noise to, er, raise the dead.
If they were traveling in their usual packs, he'd be meat.
Come midnight, the score might have been Hickok - 0, Zombies - 1.

Wouldn't it be neat if the zombie targets could be attached to a bungee or something so they could come charging out of the woods?
Or on a rope and come zipping down out of the trees via gravity.
Or as a swinging target with their intended victim out in front.
And the blood and gore, fur sure.
You've opened a Pandora's box of ideas.
Old August 27, 2010, 12:03 PM   #47
Sgt.Saputo

Actually I was working on some ideas for attaching targets to pulleys to simulate charging last night! I haven't really come up with any solid ways of working them, but I think a bit more and give them a try. I'll be sure to post the results .

Old September 16, 2010, 07:52 PM   #48
woodguru

My friend and I will set up cans such as 10 on each side and see who can clear theirs first, the range gets kicked further and further as we go.

I set him up big time after selling him a Ruger 10/22 target with the hammer forged barrel and a Pentax scope. I had had that rifle for ten years or more but when I got my Rem 597 I didn't need it anymore, I think the 597 is a way better rifle in many respects. I asked him if he thought he could shoot more than me of 100 cans in a "shoot as fast as you can go" type match. He got two clips from me and hadn't picked up anymore.

Meanwhile I had accrued almost 20 magazines and had tuned up most and those that weren't dead reliable were good with five or six bullets but not all the way full. Larry is a competitive little bugger and wanted to go a buck a can on the offset. I was having a tough time as he dug himself deeper and deeper with terms. I asked him if he wanted a reload clause and he said heck no, you load at your own speed.

I had 12 magazines ready to roll with CCI Geen Label target loads. We decided on about 80 yards and put a little dirt in each can so there would be no low shooting that topples three or four cans a shot if done right (I had already pulled that one on him before.

We start and I'm paying attention to his mag change speed, it's horrible because of the typically fussy Ruger magazine removal and insertion. Meanwhile the 597 mag drops out and free with the lightest touch, and a new one clicks home in a split second. As he's reloading his first mag after burning 20 rounds he watches me drop a mag and put my fourth one in, he's still loading as I put my fifth one in at which point I'm approaching the middle point of the line. He yells out "hey, how many friggin clips do you have?" I was laughing hard enough that it was making me miss more shots as I told him he was the one that didn't want a reloading clause. I added that he better hurry up or he was going to owe me thirty or forty bucks.

He wanted a rematch that stopped at 20 rounds for a reload, 80 yards was just enough that the difference in ammo was decisive, I had target loads that cost eight or nine bucks or so for 100 and he was using bulk whatever.

We have done the same with bolt actions, I have a CZ HM2 varmint with a 6-18x Buckmasters side focus that is sweet for cans at out to 100 yards. A .22 just won't keep up with a hit ratio at longer .22 ranges like that.

I like competitive practice like that.
Old September 16, 2010, 07:55 PM   #49
woodguru

With .17HMR's we use .45 brass (unloaded) lined up at 100 yards, the .17 drills the most perfect little holes in them.
Old September 16, 2010, 11:33 PM   #50
cdutton

Got a couple.

My family and I went to Lake Shasta in Cali and rented a houseboat. Naturally, all our firearms went with us. At this time, they were letting out 18" of water every few days for irrigation, so underwater trees now became above-water targets. We took turns plinking at the tree limbs (Wood chunks wood fly as a reactive target), kindof like the game H-O-R-S-E. Loser had dishes for the night.

Another one. For trap-ish, at home on property, we would trade off with two shooters simultaneously, and a puller/thrower. Each shooter stood with weapon empty, action closed (pumps allowed only, no semi's), hammer back (so you gotta use the action lock release), with a live round in the support hand. Upon acknowledgement of being ready from both shooters, the thrower would let fly one clay at the moment of their choosing. Once the birdie was released, both shooters had to load, acquire, and fire. First to hit the target won. Draws were settled with the throwing of two targets, each shooter taking the target closest to their position.

Just a bit of fun