The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 18, 2008, 04:37 PM   #1
brockgl

.30-30 bullet in my .30-06??

I just went to the gun store and asked to buy some bullets for reloading .30-06 cartridges. The owner hands me .308 bullets that say ".30-30 .308" on the package. I asked him if the .30-30 and .30-06 used the same bullet and he said yes, since it's the same diameter. Well, i bought them, but before I reload my cartridges I want to make sure I'm not gonna blow up my rifle if I load these bullets into a .30-06 cartridge. These bullets have a flat nose, and I know the .30-30 needs this because of its magazine system, if it had a pointed nose the bullets would strike each other's primers in the magazine and possibly detonate. However, will this flat nose bullet work fine in my .30-06? Will it tumble because of the higher velocities? Will it be as accurate? Should I just give it a shot and see if it works?

Thanks!

{Edit: Oh, and these are 150gr bullets.}
Old April 18, 2008, 05:25 PM   #2
saudst

?

Brock, I don't think they would be unsafe, but I would take them back and exchange them, or better yet, would get my money back and consider buying your componets from another source. I would not buy from someone that gives you this advice.

Most of the bullet manufactures will be glad to talk to you to make sure you are reloading the right bullet for the cartrage at hand. Contact them and they will help gladly. Midway USA is a good source for most of the more common bullets.
Old April 18, 2008, 05:34 PM   #3
Jim Watson

You are not gonna blow up your rifle.

.30-30 bullets might or might not be as accurate as usual .30-06.

.30-30 bullets at top '06 velocity might blow up on impact, some hunters say it will ruin meat.

At one time Norma offered what they called a ".30-30-'06" load. It was a .30-30 bullet at .30-30 velocity in .30-06 brass. Meant for smaller game in Europe where not much reloading is done.

Saudst is right. The clerk was either ignorant or pushing what he had instead of what you needed.
Old April 19, 2008, 03:20 AM   #4
Prince55

In that bullet weight of 150 gr. you would be a lot better off with a spitzer
or pointed bullet for less drag and maybe also with a boattail base.
Old April 19, 2008, 10:36 AM   #5
TexasSeaRay

Quote:
Brock, I don't think they would be unsafe, but I would take them back and exchange them, or better yet, would get my money back and consider buying your componets from another source. I would not buy from someone that gives you this advice.
+1

Only damage you'll do will be to your accuracy, then your confidence.

Flat nose bullets typically don't perform as well at 30-06 velocities.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old April 19, 2008, 08:05 PM   #6
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Strange that you should ask

In the mid-1960s, when I was loading only for 9x19 and .38 SPL, I was given a CZ .30'06. To afford to shoot it, I decided I needed to hand load. I went down to Knight's Gun Shop in Fort Worth and bought RCBS dies and shell holder and asked Mr. Pricer what to load for for deer. Knowing I wasn't an advanced loader, he tossed off his favorite: "Anyone's 150 grain soft point and BLANK grains of 4895." (That load was slightly above today's maximum published load.) I said okay and he told me to pick out a bullet while he got a can of powder and some primers. I'd shot some Remington cartridges so I snagged a box of their Core Lokt 150s. When I got home, it seemed I'd chosen the 150 with a fairly blunt round nose, intended for .30-30 rifles.

I loaded up about 30 rounds of the suggested load. They weren't as pretty as the factory cartridges, but they shot pretty well. I sighted in for dead-on at 100 yards, but I never hunted with that rifle and later swapped it off.

Ten years later, I obtained a Ruger 77 in '06. While I was digging out my old brass and stuff, I found a box of my old hand loads. I tried 'em just for grins, and found they would group at under an inch when I did my part. I loaded some more, using the Sierra Game King Spitzers, and stayed with that load until I switched over to 165 bullets for all around use.

I hope your experience using .30-30 bullets in your '06 is as rewarding as mine was.

Best,
Johnny
Old April 19, 2008, 10:31 PM   #7
kgpcr

I used to load Hornady 170grn flatnose bullets in my 30-06. i hunted next to a wet tamarack swamp. the deer trail i shot my deer on was right next to the swamp where a deer that went 50yrds would be a nightmare to get out of the swamp. Those bullets were like the hammer of THOR. My stand was 50 yrds from the trail and all were hit behind the shoulder and with 14 minnnestoa bucks shot not one went more that 6ft. you have to pout the lungs and heart out of them. The bullet was not made for long range but close in broadside shots they were the ticket!
Smith M&P 40
Old April 19, 2008, 11:25 PM   #8
TexasSeaRay

Johnny,

Glad your experience was better than mine.

I've loaded and shot round-nose in both of my 30-06 rifles with good results. But when I loaded flat-nose bullets, the groups began to noticeably open up.

I can definitely see the utility in them in a 30-06, however, for close range shooting at game. I bet they would just flat knock the hog-slobber out of a deer.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old April 20, 2008, 12:05 AM   #9
dipper

bullets

brockgl,

Don't mean to come off like a smart alec, but you need to get a good reloading manual and READ it.
If you are buying components to reload cartridges than you need to know what you are buying and a manual will explain that to you.
What you need to look at when when buying bullets ---as far as safety goes is----is the bullet I am buying the correct diameter for the caliber I am reloading.
In your case the answer is yes--the 30-30, 30-06, 308 and others ALL use a .308 diameter bullet---if you use a .308 diameter bullet and load with the right powder etc. what you have will be safe in your rifle----maybe not the most accurate but safe.
Again, a manual will explain all this to you.
The bullets were probably marked 30-30 because of the flat nose for reasons you have already explained.
They are not going to tumble or fragment or blow up if you carefully select the correct powder and use it in the proper amounts (grains).
The only thing that makes what you have a "30-30" bullet is the flat nose which is the ONLY style bullet one should use in the 30-30 with a tubular magazine-- other than that, it is a .308 dia. bullet and is fine to use in any caliber that calls for .308--the clerk was not stupid and did nothing wrong.
He did not sell you something unsafe.

Rich

Last edited by dipper; April 20, 2008 at 12:32 AM. Reason: addition to text
Old April 22, 2008, 07:46 AM   #10
Theodore

I agree with Dipper. Take the time to read, read and read some more in manuals, magazines etc...study what you read then remember that every gun is different and will react to loads differently..and I agree with others that say find a better or more honest dealer.
Old April 22, 2008, 08:11 AM   #11
CPTMurdoc30

Bullets for a 30-30 are going to be round nose bullet which are not known for tack driving accuracy. The bullet diameters are the same at .308" Your 30-06 will shoot them just fine. For the 30-06 if you wanted to stay with the 150gr bullets I would look at Nosler Ballistic tips or Hornady SST. They are going to provide more downrange power because they will stay at a higher velocity longer.

I would load them up and plink with them and call it good. Then I would change the place I buy my components and get a few reloading manuals. They will explain the difference between all the different bullet profiles.
Old April 22, 2008, 10:29 AM   #12
dipper

Nothing wrong with the honesty of the dealer---according to what the OP wrote, the clerk/dealer did not lie to him.
The OP did not walk in and ask for a specific bullet as in Nosler Accubond or ballistic tip or game kings or whatever---the clerk did not talk him out of anything or say the bullets he sold him were better.
You need to know what you want and ask for what you want---the clerk gave him suitable bullets for his application.

Dipper
Old March 11, 2010, 10:34 PM   #13
jaredb03

Sorry to resurrect this thread but i didn't want to start a new one.

I reload my 30-06 with hornady 150 grain BTSP, and i just recently bought a Marlin 30-30 lever action, and im starting to reload it also. My question is are those bullets i use for the 30-06 OK to use in the 30-30?
Second question is can any 30-06 bullets be used to reload 30-30? It would be nice if i could just buy a bulk 30 cal .308dia auction off gunbroker and use it with both 30-30 & 30-06 so i don't have to buy them separate.
Old March 11, 2010, 11:07 PM   #14
Gbro

I will say NO, the pointed bullet is not for loading into tubular magazine's. other than that if you are shooting targets then maybe as long as you load singly.
The bullet for your 30-06 is not going to preform on game when used at 30-30win velocity's.
Old March 11, 2010, 11:27 PM   #15
GeauxTide

Bring them back. The 30-30 bullets are made for 2200-2400fps and would make a mess at the 2700-2900 level in the '06.
Old March 12, 2010, 08:14 AM   #16
riverwalker76

I will say this. If you are going to load 30-06 and 30-30 from the same bullets you are better off going with a Hornady FTX .308 dia. bullet. At least then your 30-06 has a chance at recovering some of it's dignity from the pointed tips.
Old March 12, 2010, 02:43 PM   #17
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

As noted the 30-30 flat nose bullets are designed to open up at lower velocities. Load them light and keep your shots 100 yards and under. Your accuracy should be acceptable and for hunting adequate.

Other than a grizzly there isn't a critter in the lower 48 that this bullet wouldn't work for as long as you remember the power level isn't 30-06 level so your range will be shorter. Most people are over gunned in the woods anyway unless they mostly shoot in open country where long shots are the norm.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old March 13, 2010, 01:44 AM   #18
bamaranger

I did it a good bit w/ 170 gr flat noses for 30-30 in .308 Win, just backed off the charge a bit to minimum'.

The guy I did this for claimed they were fantastic killers, pretty soon I had another guy wanted some. Then one of the guys in the club in question started loading for that bunch and I was out of the loop.
Old March 13, 2010, 01:32 PM   #19
James R. Burke

Geauxtide is correct. Wont hurt to return just to be on the safe side of things.