The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old September 7, 2001, 09:53 AM   #1
nswgru1

Military Training Target

Is anybody interested in seeing the newest target the SEALs are using?
The world breaks everyone and afterwards many are strong at the broken places, but those that will not break, it kills. It kills the very good, the very kind, and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these rest assured it will kill you too, but there will be no special hurry.
Old September 7, 2001, 12:48 PM   #2
PUMC_TomG

Ok, I'll bite... go ahead and show us.
Old September 7, 2001, 02:09 PM   #3
nswgru1

Having trouble getting the image uploaded. Will post image as an attachment.
The world breaks everyone and afterwards many are strong at the broken places, but those that will not break, it kills. It kills the very good, the very kind, and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these rest assured it will kill you too, but there will be no special hurry.
Old September 7, 2001, 03:24 PM   #4
nswgru1

Ok here it is:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg target.jpg (50.3 KB, 168 views)
Old September 11, 2001, 08:41 PM   #5
VictorLouis

And this is special, or unique, how?
Old September 12, 2001, 09:14 AM   #6
First On Race Day

Come on, don't you know that anything the SEALs are using just has to be unique. ooooh-ahhhhh! I'm going out and buying two.
Old September 12, 2001, 11:09 AM   #7
Rainbow Six

I know I feel better having seen a SEAL target.

R6

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper
Old September 12, 2001, 01:27 PM   #8
nswgru1

LOL you guys crack me up, but seriously here is some more info to mull over. These are used in CQC training.

The box on the side of the target contains a return fire device. The target plate has a sensor to detect when it has been hit. The target doesn't require an external power source so it is completely fieldable. Also what you can't see in the picture is that the target has a series of lights one set green one set red they are set behind the target plate and when they are turned on by the controller they look like eyes. The green lights indicate a "friendly" target and the red obviously a "foe". I will post some pics of the target interface controller. It is a "touch screen" based controller. The first pic will show the main page. You will see eight sihlouetts. To access the setup page for an individual target you simply touch the torso of the target and you go to the setup page. You will also notice a colored bar at the bottom of each target that indicates the status of the target you can touch that bar and it will take you to a diagnostic page that keeps track of particual target settings and response times etc. The targets are activated by either breaking a lite beam, pressure sensative pad, or by a operator pushing a button on the controller box. The control box can control up to 16 targets and each target can be activated by up to one of 16 different "triggering" devices.

Here are some photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg multitarget main page.jpg (61.6 KB, 64 views)
Old September 12, 2001, 01:28 PM   #9
nswgru1

This is the target setup page:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg multitarget setup page.jpg (57.8 KB, 51 views)
Old September 12, 2001, 01:29 PM   #10
nswgru1

This is the results page:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg multitarget result page.jpg (65.9 KB, 44 views)
Old September 19, 2001, 04:27 PM   #11
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Yup.

What R-6 said.

I'm sure it is most impressive in action.