The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 5, 2013, 08:25 AM   #51
Ricklin

As Wayne mentioned, the screws don't shear they pull out. Or the wood door frame fractures.
The three inch long screws should reach the stud the door is framed with.

I use the hardened drywall screws. Not for shear strength, just to prevent breakage when being driven so deep.
Old August 5, 2013, 07:10 PM   #52
ClydeFrog

I disagree...

Most savvy travel or business travel people know where to stay & what to look for.
In a new city or area, you can roll around the property or check around first then decide if the hotel or motel is worth going into.
There are a few other tricks & tips but most tourists/business people spend the $$$ to get a decent stay.

A lot of it is common sense & good judgement.
Old August 6, 2013, 07:55 AM   #53
TXAZ

Flamethrower security link

Per my earlier post, here is the text link:
http://survivalandprosperity.com/tag/flamethrowers/

In there they note "In the meantime, Jesse and Charlie came up with two defensive features for the Willis bunker. One is a bed of metal spikes that swings down from the bunker roof into unsuspecting bad guys. The other is a handrail with a flamethrower built into it. Dastardly evil stuff."

I'll see if I can find the video on line from the referenced show.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes

Last edited by TXAZ; August 6, 2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old August 6, 2013, 08:27 AM   #54
baddarryl

Quote:
I own my home and live in a semi country setting, I only have one close neighbor. So my approach to home security is I have two doberman pinschers that are fully trained guard dogs. They alert when someone comes close to my house, even if they are walking down the street in front of the house. So I will know immediately if anyone is close. I feel that gives me plenty of time to retrieve my firearm if I need it, first the person would have to get passed the two dogs. I have two so I can at times take one with me and still have one at home protecting my house. I walk them around the neighborhood so every one knows I have them. I have not had any security problems since I bought the dogs.
Where do you get dogs like that? My girlfriend has access to retired police dogs, but I am wary of the potential health problems with them.
Old August 6, 2013, 03:48 PM   #55
csmsss

Not all "upscale" hotels have any higher level of physical security built into their rooms than any other hotel. Many hoteliers (franchisees) buy up lesser-brand hotels, throw down some new carpet, drapes and furniture and a fabulous lobby and rebrand as upscale hotels without doing a thing to make the rooms themselves any more secure. I've stayed at a Sheraton where a stiff breeze could have knocked the door down, but also at a Motel 6 that was only slightly less well-built than Fort Knox. What an upscale *generally* gives you is a place in a better neighborhood than a cheaper place, which hopefully means there are fewer miscreants bouncing around in the lot and lobby.
Old August 6, 2013, 04:12 PM   #56
IdahoG36

I'm with the OP. I carry 24/7, and keep a gun near me at all times in my house. It's just a fact of life in the world that we live in these days. A threat can arise at any time, in any place.
Old August 6, 2013, 05:01 PM   #57
Tactical Jackalope

Door to door massacre in Miami. (Preparation?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoG36 View Post
I'm with the OP. I carry 24/7, and keep a gun near me at all times in my house. It's just a fact of life in the world that we live in these days. A threat can arise at any time, in any place.
Thank you. I'm glad to see they're more of us out there.

And right it doesn't bother you one bit? It's like putting on underwear for me.
Old August 6, 2013, 06:30 PM   #58
IdahoG36

I don't even think about it anymore. It's automatic.
Old August 6, 2013, 06:41 PM   #59
Garycw

I keep a firearm on me most all the time or on nightstand at night. I fell most vulnerable when in the shower. Especially if alone. I've since started keeping a less valuable one in bathroom and I typically turn alarm system on when showering. Call me paranoid, but I don't want to be caught with my pants down. A potential burglar close to house on hill could see in lower level where I usually shower and see it as a open invitation for a snatch & grab or worse. The time you're most going to need a gun is when you don't have one with you it seems.
Old August 6, 2013, 07:17 PM   #60
FireForged

Pay attention to what is happening around you and have a plan to fight in whatever circumstance you find yourself in..(public, home, yard, office). Don't waste time, don't second guess your gut when it comes to danger. If you have to fight for your life then be a freaking tyrannosaurus until its over.
Old August 6, 2013, 07:40 PM   #61
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
Any discussion on this matter in terms of preparation?
Just how often does this happen in Miami? THIS scenario is an anomaly - plain and simple. If you try to prepare for any and every possible scenario, including natural disasters, zombie apocalypses, etc. you will have wasted your entire life living in a state of fear. That isn't living.......

Be aware, yes; be reasonably prepared for normal situations, absolutely; but trying to determine and prepare for the sky falling is a waste of breath, IMO. I am too busy trying to enjoy what time I have left to spend it living in fear and trepidation while looking for BGs under every bed and behind every bush..... YMMV
Old August 6, 2013, 11:07 PM   #62
Levant

Quote:
But I think there's having a smart plan & being paranoid.
There's a difference between paranoid and prepared. Paranoid is when you're afraid and looking over your shoulder. Prepared is when you don't have to be afraid or look over your shoulder.

I have to wonder if the real paranoid are those who are more afraid of carrying their guns and what it means about them. Didn't Freud have something to say about people afraid of guns?

Quote:
Because even the slowest person on earth would have had ample time to retrieve a firearm from anywhere in an apartment and been ready to go by the time the bad guy got around to breaking into that apartment. Unless he's Flash Gordon, of course.
This is not even close to accurate. One kick and the door is open and the bad guy is in. If your gun isn't so close that you can grab it while ducking for immediate cover then your gun is useless in a home invasion. On the desk if you've drilled and drilled on ducking under the desk while grabbing and pointing your gun. On your hip is even better.

Quote:
That's your opinion. I am quite comfortable knowing a firearm is easily accessible from wherever I happen to be at home. I don't need the reassurance of having it resting against my body.
I'd be more comfortable with my gun resting against my body.
Old August 7, 2013, 07:00 AM   #63
Tactical Jackalope

I also second Levant.

Plain and simple is it IS faster and more adequate to have the gun on your person. Any way someone tries to justify otherwise, I'm sorry you're incorrect. If that were the case LE officers should have car holsters only. (Mild joke)

"Prepared" & "Paranoid", yes. Two very different things. I laugh, joke, eat, watch movies, talk, an do just about everything normally when my gun is on me. Why does one assume carrying at home means you're shaking in your bones and scared crapless about who's going to come barging in? Is beyond me.

It's an option to retreat out on the street when you're alone. In a car. Even with family. People CC then without thinking. However in your home, your "castle" you have no idea how much you should not retreat then. Like a captain abandoning ship. So why second guess being more prepared at home?

Also, anyone ever had to wake up suddenly from REM sleep, grab their gun and deal with a threat? One word: disoriented. And it sucks. That's just on a general topic. Obviously can't carry when you're asleep. Although I do during hurricanes with the AR by my side. But that's a whole other story.
Old August 7, 2013, 08:58 AM   #64
redhologram

Constantine,
You're forgetting to throw in my favorite word "helpless" with paranoid and prepared.
But I made a mental note as I got out of bed this morning.. in order.. I got up, picked up glasses off nightstand (to make way to contacts eventually) then picked up my gun. Walked to other side of room, put on T-shirt and sweats, put gun in pocket. Picked up phone off bed. Left room to go get morning coffee.. morning routine I do every morning without thinking about it. Paranoid? Nope. Helpless? Far from it.. Prepared? You bet.. Alert and living in reality.. Even more so.
Old August 7, 2013, 02:45 PM   #65
Yankee Traveler

First, as a homeowner, solid doors and locks. Screwed into the studs as previously mentioned Basement door and window are "fortified".

Second, again, I own my own home, a B F D. Or two. My choice, and fortunatly my wifes, is a GSD. His name is Eddie. For no other reason then both of my kids were brought home from the hospital in an Eddie Bauer Explorer. Eddie LOVES those kids.

Third, alarm system, but that can be more of an irratant to a determined BG.

Fourth, firearms are accessible, and I feel my wife or I would have more than enough time to reach them if a break in is attempted. BUT. I am leaning more and more towards 24/7. A man was robbed nearby by a couple of dirtbags that were posing as door to door meat salesmen. I think I need a set of matching Colt Mustangs for my wife and I.
Old August 7, 2013, 07:19 PM   #66
Glenn Dee

I gotta side with Kraigway here. Sometimes you just have to force the door. In my case it was 24 stories up... a bit difficult to slip a window.