The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 22, 2013, 09:28 PM   #26
Ozzieman

A lot of people don’t see the use of pistol caliber carbines I think for the wrong reason. They think we buy them to replace rifles and they are not rifles. Just long barreled pistols.
I have 4, and MP5 clone, Beretta Storm carbine, a Marlin and a Rossi ranch hand in 44 Mag.
The Beretta is a 9mm and I can shoot it all day for pennies a round (reloads) and it’s a lot of fun.
Shooting it with a mounted Aimpoint is very good for offhand practice and as another mentioned it’s nice to have a long gun that uses the same round and magazine as your handgun.
No, it doesn’t have the power of a 223 but at 1100 FPS and 124 Gr it makes a good home defense gun.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old March 22, 2013, 10:42 PM   #27
Loronzo

My Keltec Sub2k makes a nice backpack gun for hiking/camping. It folds up into a 10 inch by 5 inch rectangle or so (haven't measured it but fits into the front pocket of my hiking bag rather nicely.) One loaded mag of good hollowpoints and 2 backup mags of .40 and I'm confident I would be ok with some of the wild dog species we have here in TN. It's also very light, I even forget its in there. Plus as others have said I can shoot it at indoor ranges and since its a.40 I have extra ammo to share between a subcompact and something with a little more umph.
Old March 23, 2013, 12:25 AM   #28
4V50 Gary
Staff

Why?

They're civilian non-selective fire versions of SMGs. They're for fun.
Old March 23, 2013, 01:14 AM   #29
katana8869

I have a Hi-point 9mm carbine and will be picking up a Marlin Camp .45 from a friend in about a week (Hardly ever fired, w/3 Wilson 10 round magazines for 320 bucks ).

The Hi-point is my go to truck gun and it also does ALOT of shifts on HD duty at night next to the bedside. It shares that duty with my Benelli Nova Tactical. I actually prefer the PCC over the shotgun. It's shorter, carries more ammo, it;s semi-auto, less recoil, and has a MUCH lower level of muzzle blast than either a shotgun or a centerfire rifle... All are big pluses in my mind.

Once I recieve the Marlin and have the opportunity to test it for reliability, replace the buffer and install a 21lb rcoil spring in it, it will likely become my primary HD gun for all of the above reasons. And then there is the idea of using it at close range and driving a .45acp out of a carbine length barrel.... I like the sounds of that

Last edited by katana8869; March 23, 2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old March 23, 2013, 08:31 AM   #30
valleyforge.1777

I've got a Thureon Defense 9 mm 16 inch barrel carbine on order.

http://www.thureondefense.com/conten...-magpul-mbus-g

It will take about 6 months to get it. Price will be about same as a 5.56 AR. I saw some videos that Hickock45 did on this rifle. He uses a slidefire stock on the one he tested, but I ordered one without that. Whether one likes or hates the slidefire stock is a different topic for a different day, but the carbine itself looked pretty cool. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf4ZsK1QrIg I expect it to be fun to shoot and play with at the range.

Since ordering it, I have been giving it a lot of thought and I am starting to wonder what exactly I will do with this thing when I get it. I can reload 9 mm for a lot less money than I can reload 38 and 357 for my lever rifles, or 223 for my AR. That is one reason why I ordered it. But I am not sure about this carbine anymore. I guess it would be great for home defense because it will be very handy to handle and operate, lower flash and less recoil (i.e., faster follow up shots) than a shotgun, more capacity than my HD handguns.

Yet, I am not convinced that I want this thing after all. I've got time to decide. They did not require a down payment or pre-payment. They said demand is so high that if a customer declines to purchase an ordered carbine, they just go to the next guy on the waiting list and sell it to him. I'm almost definitely going to get this carbine but in the back of my mind is a little bit of doubt.
Old March 23, 2013, 08:49 AM   #31
mxsailor803

Like many people on here, I too am a PCC fan. It's nice when I can reload one round for multiple platforms (still working on a balance between reliable feeding/extracting and reduced recoil). My wife loves her Hi-Point 9mm. It's ugly to me but she thinks my 91/30 is ugly lol. My next PCC will most likely be a Henry Big Boy in .44mag/special. It will pair up nicely with my S&W 629 and my Ruger Deerfield. To the guy that was buying a Marlin Camp .45, I'll give you 475 for it lol.
Old March 24, 2013, 08:02 AM   #32
specs

Since I had a Ruger P89 and also a P95 I chose to wait to find a Ruger PC9. Not only common ammo, but same mags for all 3. I know, Ruger does not make them anymore, but they really strong and overbuilt. If you can find one snag it. I actually ran into mine at a yard sale.
Old March 24, 2013, 09:09 AM   #33
arch308

I'm a big fan of PCCs for the above stated reasons. My Marlin Camp Carbine goes very nicely with my 1911s and use the same magazines. I've got two Rossi Model 92s in .357 & 45 Colt and have hunted deer with both. They go well with my Ruger BH 45 and my GP100 .357. I think they would be good medicine for a SHTF situation.
Tons of fun also! I'm considering a Ruger BH in 30 Carbine to go with my Father's old carbine.
Old March 24, 2013, 08:12 PM   #34
jake99

I'm picking up a Rossi Circuit Judge in a couple days, it shoots .45 Colt and .410 shot shells. 5 shot revolver. I figure it's good for HD and general fun. Getting it in stainless because it looks cool.
Old March 25, 2013, 04:25 PM   #35
Erno86

My Sterling Type 2 carbine in 9mm, is a concealable back pack gun, that sports a 32 round magazine. It can fire with the stock folded --- in which the Kel-Tech cannot. My ammo for the Stirling...is compatable with my 9mm 1911, or my Browning Hi-Power.

I can shoot the sling mounted Stirling with the stock folded at our pistol range, where pistols are only allowed; save for designated machine gun shoots.

Probably the most common ammo found in the streets of our world --- is the 9mm --- in which I should have no problem in picking up; save for these ammo starved days.

Last edited by Erno86; March 25, 2013 at 04:34 PM.