The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 29, 2012, 10:31 PM   #26
ltc444

use the one you are most accurate with
Old March 2, 2012, 11:08 AM   #27
L_Killkenny

Feel your pain with the scope being to short. 2-7x is by far my favorite hunting magnification but I too have trouble getting them onto my long action guns. Most of the time I have to step up to a 3-9x. You should be able to find a one peice base that will work for either gun but if it's like around here you won't find em locally.

As which gun kinda depends on terrain. The .270 will do fine (although I don't like em. They are like butt holes, everyone's got one) with game bullets but I don't like shooting big centerfies in populated areas where ricochet may be an issue. Even the varmint bullets for em are too heavily constructed IMO. Use the .243 and you can limit the issue a little with bullet choice.

LK
Old March 2, 2012, 02:18 PM   #28
farmerboy

maybe the reason why everyone has a 270 is because theyre a great caliber. I would love one of those flat shooters, maybe one day. I could see where youd be leary about using a gun that youd have to worry about richoshets but only if I hunted in a city where houses are everywhere. Cmon ? seriously coyote hunting? to me the 243 and 270 would be same here. I would take both incase if one has malfunctions but Id use which one I felt I was more accurate with. Personally I would try and find a 223 for this. They will reach out there, have plenty of knock down power and have little to none recoil which alot of people can shoot good for that reason and they cheap to shoot means you can practice more because the cost of ammo. Question is, which gun are you going to take??? Go have fun!
Old March 2, 2012, 02:35 PM   #29
L_Killkenny

Quote:
I could see where youd be leary about using a gun that youd have to worry about richoshets but only if I hunted in a city where houses are everywhere. Cmon ? seriously coyote hunting? to me the 243 and 270 would be same here.
Everywhere ain't Texas. I live in rural farm country and from where I sit there are 12 houses within one mile of me and another 1/2 doz if you add another 1/4 mile. Just imagine how many are within 3 miles? And yes, there's a big difference in bullet construction and thus in ricochet factor between a .243 and those available for the .270.

LK
Old March 2, 2012, 05:21 PM   #30
farmerboy

If its that bad, you ever thought bout moving???
Old March 2, 2012, 05:41 PM   #31
rickyrick

I would use .223 45gr or less specifically for varmints in that area. And don't miss. I have never heard the winchester Varmint, or Hornaday Varmint express ricochet. Doesn't mean that they don't. They will put the coyote belly up with a shot any where in between the landing gear.
Old March 3, 2012, 11:44 PM   #32
HALL,AUSTIN

So I took the 270, and I also got the leupold on the 243... 130gr corelokt do bad things to wiley. Very bad things.