The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 31, 2012, 05:54 PM   #1
ASchul98

Coyote Calls

I've just recently been getting into coyote hunting. I've only went out once so far, and I didn't call anything in, but I thought it was pretty fun anyway. I've looked at the various calls on the market, and I liked the electric calls I saw (foxpro especially) but they are a little out of my price range. When I went out the first time, I used a Primos Mini-Mag Howler. Now, i've followed the instructions that came with that damn thing, and I can't produce a sound that seems anything like a howl or a bark or whatever it's supposed to make.

So, TFL, what have you had success with so far? I just want something that brings in the dogs, plain and simple. I've heard that switching calls after shooting one dog can keep the other one interested even though his buddy is dead/squirming, but i'd like to keep it simple and cross that bridge when I come to it. Besides, i'm not going to be calling in 2 at once. I'm nowhere near that lucky.
Old January 31, 2012, 06:16 PM   #2
rickyrick

I like open reed type mouth blown calls . They have been coming to johnny Stewart dog howler
Old January 31, 2012, 08:04 PM   #3
Blind Dog Jake

The same as Rickyrick
Open reed mouth calls. I also have some calls from Arizona Predator they are closed reed calls but work well.

http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm#Calling
A lot of calls on this site, most are mp3.

The fawn killers are into their breeding season now, you may see more than one at a time.

.223 22-250 .243--anything, shot one with a 45-70 T/C contender once.
10-12ga. #2 copper plate shot ---#4-2-0-00 Buck
Old January 31, 2012, 08:17 PM   #4
rickyrick

This guy has an extensive collection of freebies.

http://www.mscustomcalls.com/

I made the Varmint al e caller, it was a simple but fun project.
Old January 31, 2012, 08:32 PM   #5
PunchinPaper

I use a RedRock 512 electronic caller with Jonny Stewart Cassete tapes.
It's a nice handy lil package that works!
I normally use it with a spot light and a cottontail wiggle decoy at night or late evening.
Let the tape play and periodically light up the area look for eyes glowing.
I started with mouth calls but I have found that this set up works better for me. I have a open reed howler there is a curve to learning how to use them But once you get the hang of it they are effective. I also have closed reed calls that I have used in the past with success. Tapes or MP3s are about the easiest way to go tho.... One thing I have noticed is if you don't switch up calls/tapes (sounds) after you shoot acouple off of a spot they seem to recognize said call as danger and won't come as close. Or so it seems....
Old February 7, 2012, 02:00 PM   #6
mdd

Cabelas carries some from a group called the verminators. I have a few of theirs and have had the very best luck with a solid black one they call thumper. Also look for calls by a guy named Randy Anderson as they are very good also. Both of those guys are reasonably local to me and their calls flat work.
Been calling coyotes for several years now and it is my favorite type of hunting. The open reed calls are challenging to get the hang of but are the best in my opinion. With the electronic callers, what you have is what you get. With the mouth calls you can vary everything to suit any situation.
Doubles are not that uncommon so never say never. I pulled in a triple off one set before I'd ever called a double. Just shows anything can happen but that's where the fun is.
Old February 7, 2012, 07:28 PM   #7
"JJ"

Well AS, don't expect to call one in every time! But when it happens it is exciting!

With that howler being an open reed call it does take a bit to learn to play it!
The 1st thing I did wrong was try to blow to hard. Blowing harder changes the pitch. Grip the call about mid way down the reed with your lip on the bottom and your teeth on the top. Hold the call up at about a 45 degree angle.(changes the pitch and holds it tight to your teeth) Slowly start to blow on the call and slowly slide out to the tip while keeping pressure on the reed.

Barks can be done by quick breaths on the call. Sort of making like a "PA" sound. You have to tweek it a bit, its not really the same motion to make a "PA" sound but that will get you started.

Now PRACTICE, PRACTICE & then PRACTICE some more!

A nice closed reed call will make a nice distress sound with a lot less learning curve. But mastering an open reed will allow you to make almost every sound!

Good luck!
Old February 7, 2012, 07:33 PM   #8
rickyrick

I was watching a deer hunting show and the guy was rattling antlers. A coyote came in real close, needless to say he got smoked. With a deer rifle.

I was like, hmmmmm.

Does this happen often? I don't deer hunt, but any extra trick could be handy.
Old February 7, 2012, 11:47 PM   #9
langenc

If you run across a 'Red River howler' better grab it. They were made by Dan and I dont remember his last name. He went to heaven to get coyotes at Christmas time. Calls are excellent.

He was a real sportsman/man.
Old February 8, 2012, 11:13 PM   #10
mrawesome22

Go outside and listen to them howl at night. Unless you live in a major city, you will hear them. Just sit on your deck and listen.

Once you can distinguish the males from females and pups, you'll know what to try and produce.

Howling.... you gotta talk to them.

The only way to learn howling to coyotes is to be out there and get experience.

EDIT: I've been known to get a few beers in me and howl with my voice at them late at night lol. I swear it works though. I don't kill them around the house though. Practice yotes. When they kill a rabbit up behind the house, you couldn't tell the difference between the real thing and the Circe.