The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 19, 2011, 01:34 PM   #26
Uncle Buck

We used to notch our piglets. Right ear, male, Left ear, female. (Two notches in the right it was a barrow, or soon would be. ) We quit doing the teeth because we were afraid of infections and raising them on dirt they have enough room anyway.

Wife bought a few pig the other night... Guess we'll be notching in the spring.
Old September 23, 2011, 02:40 PM   #27
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The way I prefer to dispatch these buggers is goin' different than most folks...

I use either my Gamo 1,000fps .177 cal loaded with an 8 grain pellet or my .22 Savage with a bulk box hollow point.

I shoot him in the noodle bowl at hair singeing proximity.

Since we use dogs, I get the options most hunters do not.
I can shoot him in the woods ('cept we don't even tote firearms for the most part), stick him with the Buck 110 or tie him up and haul him to a "hog strong" pen.

The latter is our preferred method. They calm down so long as you keep feed and water available and the dogs away...

After several days or a week... or more, I go out at night with his feed, and when he puts is head in the bucket, I drop him...

Makes for the best possible meat quality...

There is no delay from time of death to beginning processing. He has not recently been run so adrenaline in the meat has been absorbed or diluted.

But for hunting... if you look at his shield you would want to aim for just behind the low rearward corner of the shield... That is heart location.

Many people will fib and say there is no anatomical difference in deer and hogs... This cannot be further from the truth.

They are far easier to miss the heart or gut shoot one than a deer...

The lungs are often quite well protected behind a shield from all but the higher energy loads...

Me? This hog? I wouldn't expect a .30-30 at 60-75 yards to even make this guy limp on that front leg... A .30-06 at some distance won't penetrate but with the added energy, it might break the shoulder down enough to let me get a second shot off.

But I don't like to damage so much good meat and I don't like "head cheese" so my method is a "no brainer" (pun intended)...
Brent
Old September 23, 2011, 02:43 PM   #28
m.p.driver

I thought a hog shield was the plexiglass over the food stations, at a all you can eat buffet.
Old September 23, 2011, 02:45 PM   #29
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Naw that is a sneeze shield... If it were a hog shield, it would be lower making you reach up and over for another scoop of sub-par mac and cheese...

Brent