The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2010, 10:27 PM   #1
ralphc21

Primer

Just trying to see if anyone know a cheep place to buy small and large pistol primer Thanks Ralph
Old February 8, 2010, 10:55 PM   #2
gearheadpyro

That's a million dollar question. I've been on the hunt now for 4 1/2 months. If you see any I've got dibs on them. (j/k)

Last place I had any luck was at a local gun show, but that was almost a year ago now. I've found some Russian primers online, but between the $25 hazmat and supporting the commies I haven't been able to bring myself to it yet.
Old February 9, 2010, 01:53 AM   #3
colospgsAVID

My local Sportsman's has a decent variety from time to time. I've gotten a little over 4k in the last 4 months of small pistol. With varying amounts of Small and Large Rifle. I would assume they have or had any of the other varieties. They get a truck on Friday afternoon so I usually call and see what they've got. They usually will put the stuff aside with your name on it. Rationed of course. I've heard stories of them telling you they don't have it over the phone but they actually do. I have never had this problem though they know me because I'm there every week. At one point I was able to buy a brick of Rem. 1 1/2 with a nice price break to boot.
Old February 9, 2010, 02:05 AM   #4
wilkersk

I got in on the tail end of a group buy. I think one of the original buyers backed out. I wound up with 5,000 WLPs (1 factory sealed case) for $160.

My recommendation is to keep an eye on local organizations. Here in the Seattle area, we have Seattleguns.net, which is an excellent source for finding deals out here.
Old February 9, 2010, 02:11 AM   #5
colospgsAVID

Nice! I have been contemplating a group buy. I just can't swallow the hazmat fee as an individual.
Old February 9, 2010, 03:24 PM   #6
HDDeluxe

The cheapest I have found are on line. Powder Valley has Wolf primers in both large and small pistol in stock. I always try and max out my order to the 50lb weight limit combining powder and primers under one hazmat fee. Even with the hazmat and shipping it is still a lot cheaper that anything local. Locally when and if the sports shop has primers they are $34@K. I can get them from Powder Valley for $26.50@K with shipping and hazmat. Just something to think about.
Old February 9, 2010, 03:29 PM   #7
oneounceload

Quote:
Nice! I have been contemplating a group buy. I just can't swallow the hazmat fee as an individual.
Most places will ship 25,000 primers and 2 8# jugs of powder in one box for one hazmat fee
Old March 13, 2010, 11:42 AM   #8
mrawesome22

Last time as was at Powder Valley, they said they had a 50 million primer back order!
Old March 13, 2010, 12:47 PM   #9
Sevens

Sounds pretty good, John, but I'm not interested in imported primers at this time.

What is the brand of primers you are importing and taking orders for?
Have you got any CCI primers?
Old March 13, 2010, 08:04 PM   #10
sig2009

Was at the quarterly gun show at Valley Forge Pa today. Dealer who was selling Wolf large and small primers and rifle primers three months ago for $27.99 per 1000 or $134.99 per 5000 had about 100,000 on the table today. New price was $23.99 per 1000 or $114.99 per 5000. No limit! Nice to see the prices finally come down to reasonable price!

Tags
cheep primer