The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 12, 2010, 03:34 PM   #1
FullCry

humidity and reloading?

I realize that if powder, primers or casings are wet inside that they won't shoot. What about humidity? I have an outside shop where I reload and it is as humid in there as the outside air just about. We've been getting a lot of rain for the last five days and I was wondering if this could affect my loads. Thanks for any replies, FullCry
Old March 12, 2010, 03:46 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Benchresters claim it makes the powder heavier, so you end up weighing out less than you would if it were dry. Primers may be deteriorated by moisture over a long enough time.

Most of the guys I know in your position keep the powder and primers and powder measure in the house, taking out only what they need when they need it. Brief exposure to humidity should have no lasting effect, as long as it isn't outright submersion.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 12, 2010, 04:00 PM   #3
oneounceload

Living here in dry:barf: FL where the humidity the last few days was at 100%, I leave my supplies inside until I load. On days like we've had, I don't. As mentioned, powder can absorb moisture making it denser and heavier than when dry; besides my garage is no place to be when it's like that
Old March 12, 2010, 05:04 PM   #4
FullCry

Thanks fellas, that's what I've been doing and hoping it was ok. I keep primers and powder in the house in different rooms and up high on a shelf even though I have no kids in the house out of habit because I raised two children and hope to have grand kids in the future. Thanks again, FullCry
Old March 12, 2010, 05:37 PM   #5
riverwalker76

I keep my primers in a dry box. A cheap alternative would be a military surplus ammo can. Before you buy it just open it up, and if it has that 'funny / stale' smell in there then it is working! There is a seal that runs around the lid. Just get a small bead of vaselene and run it along that rubber seal.

Your powder and primers should never get wet or damp if you keep them in a dry box or ammo can that seals properly.
Old March 12, 2010, 09:46 PM   #6
brmfan

I keep my primers and match powder (same lot #) in the house in sealed plastic bins with a big tub of dessicant year round (you can get it at Wally World). I also load the powder in the house, but go out to the shed to seat the bullets in winter/ fall. In the summer I bring in the press (I use a portable stand) because I kept getting condensation on and inside the cases.

I have pulled bullets from loaded rounds and after dumping the powder I noticed several times that Varget gets real lumpy after being exposed to humidity.
Old March 12, 2010, 10:08 PM   #7
Bamashooter

My reloading bench is in the basement and its always humid down there. I take my primers and powder to the bench only when i need it.
Old March 12, 2010, 10:22 PM   #8
TXGunNut

+1 riverwalker. I found the big ammo cans are perfect for storing thousands of primers for years at a time. Powder seems to do fine in the factory containers but I keep them in a climate controlled room and keep the cap on unless I'm actually pouring it in or out.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old March 13, 2010, 12:28 AM   #9
FullCry

Hey, Bama shooter where are you? I'm in Auburn Al.
Old March 13, 2010, 12:43 AM   #10
Bamashooter

Hey fullcry... Im in cullman.. Are you in school?
Old March 13, 2010, 01:07 AM   #11
Shoney

Humidity can be a double edged sword (pardon the expression). Everyone has talked about high humidity, but low humidity, especially in the winter, can cause problems with static electricity.

No! It will not ignite powder, but it can cause powders to "stick" in powder measures. This is a real problem with flake powders, when you load progressively with high static, it is a PITA.

The problem can be solved eassily by wiping your equipment down with a wet towel. Some people use the dryer sheets, and thats OK. I can't stand the odor.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old March 13, 2010, 02:46 PM   #12
saands

Shoney: If you look carefully, you CAN find unscented dryer sheets! For my $4, they work so well, that I wouldn't think about reloading without them! The added benefit is that our clothes don't smell like dryer sheets either ... WHAT is Proctor and Gamble thinking when they add all that perfume, anyway? :barf:

I don't think that I've ever used that smiley before, but it seems quite applicable here

Saands