The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 13, 2010, 07:02 AM   #1
Ike666

TTAG Reloading for FN 5-7

I have recently acquired (yesterday) an FN FiveSeveN and am looking for tips, tricks, advice, and guidance for reloading the 5.7 cartridge. At $0.50 unit price per round, I'll need to roll my own to have much fun with it. I'll be reloading purely for plinking and punching holes in paper.

I am an experienced reloader (pistol & rifle) and running an RL 550B primarily. I use a Rock Chucker for case prepping rifle brass before feeding it to my progressive.

In no particular order:

So, who has die sets for the cartridge - are any better than others?
What are the best primer-powder-bullet combinations? For what applications?
How about that sharp shouldered neck - any special precautions or considerations?
Crimp?
Which websites have the best load data?
And anything else unique to this little baby rifle cartridge...

Thanks for your shared wisdom - Ike
Old March 13, 2010, 12:59 PM   #2
Sevens

Hello Ike

I don't know squat about loading this round, but I can tell you that it has popped up from time to time. It's not the easiest round to work with, that much seems to be said by most who do it. Has something to do with the lacquer that is on the factory rounds that help it either feed or chamber? Not sure.

Anyway... purpose of my post...
Try the TFL search engine with very specific terms, it's a horribly powerful and yet under-utilized tool. With the the right search terms, you'll get a brimming wealth of information and it takes just moments.

Welcome, good luck.