The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 17, 2010, 09:48 PM   #26
joneb

Quote:
These rnds were over crimped to start with , or the cases were`nt a consistent length.
Or the chambers were fowled ?
Quote:
but they would stick going into the gun on quick reloads using the speedloaders in USPSA matches.
Would this happen from the get go or after some number of rounds were fired ?
Old February 18, 2010, 01:46 AM   #27
mnhntr

It was approx 8 out of 50 so I know the crimp was not it as they were all crimped the same. It was not from fowling in the cylinder either. A very experienced shooter and reloader at the match told me it was the brand of bullet. They are apparantely between .358 and .359 diameter. The other brand I bought worked just fine with same load and crimp.
Old February 18, 2010, 03:04 AM   #28
joneb

Quote:
They are apparantely between .358 and .359 diameter.
In some revolver chambers this could be tight, different makes of brass do not have the same case wall thickness. I use a medium to heavy crimp with 158gr LSWC and RNFP so I trim my brass to a consistent length so I don't bulge the case mouth on a long case.
A post sizing die will fix the problem but it will also swage the bullet and the brass, the brass will spring back more than the lead lessening the case tension on the bullet. Brass varies in hardness by its composition and the amount it has been work hardened say from resizing, this effects how malleable it is and how much memory it has.
The post sizing die may not be the best answer with these fat bullets.
Old February 19, 2010, 11:13 AM   #29
mnhntr

Why is that Jibjab? It seems to have fixed the problem. The loads are functioning and accurate.
Old February 19, 2010, 09:37 PM   #30
joneb

Quote:
Why is that Jibjab? It seems to have fixed the problem. The loads are functioning and accurate.
It very well could have, but then your expectations may not be the same as mine
Old February 21, 2010, 01:26 AM   #31
AcridSaint

Hi - for what it's worth, I use .357" swaged and .358" cast bullets. The post sizing ring on my Lee dies don't generally hit the case near the bullet. Most of the time when the post sizing die comes into play it's below the top half. I don't think that the sizing ring is that tight of a tolerance that it's squishing bullets unless they are out of spec. It has been helpful for me, but I'm not shooting bullseye competitions, I reload 357 so I can practice with my carry piece more.
Old March 8, 2010, 08:54 AM   #32
colinj

Hi All

I'm a new member in the UK having just started reloading for my Taurus Mod 66 357 Mangnum (12" barrel to comply with UK law). Thanks for all the advice given on this forum, it's great for newbies!

My question is picking up on a comment from GP100MAN:

"If crimped too much ya get the case bulge & that`ll cause problems chamberin , when adjustin die body down go slowly & check often. "

Does overcrimping also affect accuracy? - My reloads are showing case bulges around the bullet and accuracy is a real problem for me as I have not been able to acheive a consistantly accurate load. I've tried bullseye 4.8 - 6.0 gr for low-medium power and am now loading 13gr of 2400 for higher power magnums all with 158gr LRN bullets in once fired magtech chrome cases with CCI small Pistol Primers, could it simply be down to a too tight Roll Crimp?

I've got a Lee classic with Lee Dies and the Bullet Seater and Crimp seems to work really well, although the same cannot be said for the auto-rotation I have already managed to destroy the square plastic washer due to being a little too enthusiastic!

Many thanks in advance for any assistance

Colin
Old March 8, 2010, 09:25 AM   #33
colinj

removed as already included

Last edited by colinj; March 8, 2010 at 09:26 AM. Reason: removed as already included
Old March 8, 2010, 09:36 AM   #34
zxcvbob

Do the cases bulge when you seat the bullets, or when you crimp them? If you crimp and seat at the same time (that's what I do), back the die out 1/4 to 1/2 a turn and see if anything changes. You may just have thick-walled brass and slightly oversize bullets -- especially if cast bullets.
Old March 9, 2010, 08:35 AM   #35
colinj

Hi zxcvbob

I'll take a look tonight when I make some more - for info, the bullets are .358 so are slightly oversized so you could well be right.

Would you suspect the lack of consistancy (accuracy) to be due to the powder charge rather than a too-tight crimp?

thanks

OK - made some rounds (I do have a combined Seater/Crimper die) and the seating is causing the bulging, not the crimping, Ive dialed back the crimp half a turn anyway and will see if it makes a difference on the range

thanks for the advice.

Colin

Last edited by colinj; March 10, 2010 at 04:21 AM. Reason: update
Old March 10, 2010, 08:46 AM   #36
WESHOOT2

actual testing (yes, it helps that my range is 2 steps away)

Vary crimp and test, because crimp certainly affects accuracy.
Old March 12, 2010, 08:06 AM   #37
colinj

Hi

thanks for the advise WESHOOT2- the new rounds are better with a reduced crimp - I'm going to back it off a bit more to see if I can get more improvement as the grouping at 25 yards is still around about 5" diameter with 13gr of 2400 which seems to be a very regular load amongst forum posts I have seen.

Up until now, I have been roll crimping case so that the top edge is touching the vertical face in the canular groove on the bullett, so I'm going back it off so that the roll crimp just edges into the bottom of the canular groove and then make up batches of 20 setting the crimp a bit tighter each time - does anyone think the initial crimp would be too light for 13gr of 2400?

Many thank

Colin