The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 10, 2010, 09:14 AM   #1
FullCry

Lee Turret Press auto index problem

I got a turret press last week and now I'm having problems with it indexing properly. When you index it then it stops right before where it should--just enough to cause problems and right before it clicks into place. If i work the press fast then it does pretty good but still acts up some. Is there some kind of adjustment to advance and retard this thing or any kind of fix that any of you know? Thanks in advance for any replies, FullCry
Old March 10, 2010, 09:19 AM   #2
rwilson452

There is a nut on the end of the indexing rod. Rotating it in the correct direction should fix your problem. You will likely need two wrenches to do this as they use something like locktight to insure it doesn't move.
Old March 10, 2010, 09:30 AM   #3
twice barrel

RWilson has it right and there are instructions with the press that speak to it. Failing that; there is a fragile plastic square piece in the plastic clamp that rides on the twist of the square indexing rod that actually provides the auto-index motion to the turret. As a rule, NEVER force or impede the turret counter to its normal rotation direction. Inside the small plastic pack that came with your turret was a spare. Its a small plastic SQUARE. If you didn't toss it out with the packaging already, get it, and save it to a safe place.

I made the mistake of turning my turret backwards a couple of times instead of just moving it thru normal rotations and this ruined my auto indexing. Yes, it still indexed "mostly" but never precisely. Learned about this square piece, opened up the clamp and discovered the original still in place. Removed it (it looked fine), installed the new one and voila!...indexing restored.

3000 rounds later its still going strong. Ordered more of those little squares just in case though.

Regards,

TB
Old March 10, 2010, 12:36 PM   #4
FullCry

Thanks but I need more help

My instructions don't show anything about it but I found the nut to adjust and the small black plastic piece. The black plastic piece is hanging up and I removed the other plastic piece to get to it and dropped the thing and so now I don't know whether the bevel goes up...which seems logical, or does the bevel go down on the tiny piece? Thanks a lot, FullCry
Old March 10, 2010, 03:57 PM   #5
TheBigO

see link... center page two "Adjusting the Index"

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data...uct/TP2131.pdf
Old March 10, 2010, 06:56 PM   #6
shepherddogs

Do you have the 3 station or 4 station press? I never could get my 3 station to work properly. It would work right occasionally but was mainly a giant pain in the butt. I got the 4 stage conversion and that solved the problem.
Old March 10, 2010, 08:17 PM   #7
PaulTX

I have a 3 hold turret and if it doesn't quite make it all the way around I put a little lube where the turret and frame rub - all the way around. That usually solves the problem.

Paul
Old March 11, 2010, 12:14 PM   #8
FullCry

Thanks gents, I adjusted the rod and got it working right. Thanks again for all the help, FullCry