The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 28, 2009, 09:35 AM   #1
DBLAction454

870 4-Position Stock

I'm thinking about buying a new stock for my 870. I'm considering 2 different choices. Mesa Tactical makes one that I've found for $160 and Wilson combat also makes one under their Scattergun Technologies name for $150. I know Wilson Combat makes excellent products and their customer service is exceptional....and....its cheaper . Just wanted to know if anyone had and experience with either of these stocks?.... Heres some links

Thanks

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/sa_870_cs_pg.asp

http://www.mesatactical.com/index.php?id=55
Old November 29, 2009, 03:09 PM   #2
redline659

Try the Knoxx. I bought the 870 tactical that comes with that stock. It's great. It also reduces recoil. I can shoot it from the hip with no problem.
Old November 29, 2009, 05:47 PM   #3
Kmar40

Quote:
It also reduces recoil. I can shoot it from the hip with no problem.
How does the Knoxx Stock reduce recoil when shooting from the hip? Are you placing the buttrstock on your hip????
Old November 30, 2009, 12:56 PM   #4
redline659

Here's what I mean. If you look at the Knoxx Special Ops Blackhawk stock manual, it says the shotgun moves rearward over the pistol grip slightly more than 1 inch when fired. I haven't noticed this because it must be lightning fast. Besides that it has a really nice pad on the back which itself is a shoulder saver. By the way, because of this rear travel of the gun over the pistol grip there is a warning in ther about using oversized safties and it also says to make sure the model stock you use is made for your particular shotgun. So be careful to get the right one if you do get it.

I have a Winchester 120 and a Rem 870 tactical with the Knoxx stock. I don't remember ever trying to shoot the 120 from "the hip" as I called it. What I meant was shooting it from my right side with the gun between hip and stomach level without putting it up to my shoulder. Someone at a gun shop told me this is hard to do on a shotgun because it is hard to control and you really feel it on your hand and wrist.

I did try this with the Remington with Knoxx stock and it was very manageable. My whole point was that I suspect if I didn't have the Knoxx stock which lets the shotgun travel back into the stock over 1", I would have felt a lot more recoil.

Bottom line is that the stock is great