The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 17, 2007, 03:14 AM   #1
Dannyboy303

For all of you who have had cases stuck in FullLengthDies!

i had a brain wave the other night.

i got a shell stuck in my lee full length die and couldnt get it out no matter what i tried. I needed to use it to load ammo because i was going kangaroo shooting that night and had no ammo left, i would have used my spent shells through a neck die but my rifle had just been rebarreled and none of the shells that had been through my old barrel fit the new one.
All of a sudden i thought why not tap a thread into the shell and then screw a bolt into it and lever it out. So i went about doing that and within 5mins i had the shell that was stuck, unstuck and then went on to make a good bit of money shooting that night. Obviously you need to use a tapping bit that is a bit smaller than your case so you dont hurt the die, i only threaded about 1/2" of thread into the shell which was plenty. just thought id share that idea with you guys, dunno if any of you have done that before. You do need a tap and die set to do it but even if you dont have one, a friend is bound to.
Before i thought of tapping a thread into it i was about to come on here and ask you guys how you get your shells out without sending the dies back- so how do you?
Old October 17, 2007, 07:05 AM   #2
rgitzlaff

I haven't gotten a case stuck in a die YET. However I have heard of other people tapping the case to get it out the same way you have.
Old October 17, 2007, 07:24 AM   #3
Linear Thinker

Danny,
Most commercial stuck-shell extractors work on the same principle. The Hornady' set I use has the shellholder-sized threaded insert, so you can use your press' leverage to muscle the stuck case out of the die. Much swearing is required.

If you reload .223 sized cases, you WILL get a case stuck sooner or later. The thin rim affords a poor purchase, and shears off at the first sign of resistance. You should get a stuck-shell remover, it's one of the must-have tools.
LT
Old October 17, 2007, 07:55 AM   #4
CrustyFN

The easiest way I have found to remove a stuck case from a Lee die is to loosen the nut that holds the decaping pin. Take a punch the same size and drive the pin and case out of the die. That usually takes about 30 seconds.
Rusty
Old October 17, 2007, 11:47 AM   #5
UGH

Check out this link on stuck case removal
Sooner or later it will happen to everyone.

http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/relo...eloading2.html
Old October 17, 2007, 12:41 PM   #6
Shoney

Step 1: Get the following parts -

1/2" Socket (1/4" drive)
1/4" x 1" Machine bolt
1/4" Tap
13/64" drill bit (came with the tap)
1/4" x 1 1/2" Washer (to keep from gouging the top of the socket)

Step 2: Back the decapper/expander plug out as far as you can.

Step 3: Drill out the flash hole with the 13/64" drill bit. It would be best to hold the die in a vise, vice-grips will do.

Step 4: Tap the hole with the 1/4" tap

Step 5: Place the Socket over the head of the case

Step 6: Thread the machine bolt through the washer, through the socket, and into the threaded hole in the case head.

Step 7: Tighten the machine bolt, drawing the case out of the die.

This is identical to the commercial setups.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old October 17, 2007, 01:13 PM   #7
Red_Eagle

I have an RCBS stuck case remover. You just drill and tap the case, put on a metal sleeve the same size as the die. It has a hole the same size as the tap that the screw goes through and into the tapped hole. As you tighten the screw the case is pulled out.
Old October 17, 2007, 02:40 PM   #8
CrustyFN

Why drill and tap? It really is this easy. http://www.leeprecision.com/html/Hel...k%20case-1.wmv
Rusty
Old October 18, 2007, 03:23 AM   #9
Dannyboy303

Well there you go, i didnt know they made tools specifically for shell removing from dies. That Vid was great to crusty, only prob was the complete base of the shell has been torn off not just the rim, i guess the case was about to pull apart anyway
Old October 18, 2007, 09:14 AM   #10
fxdrider

RE: For all of you who have had cases stuck in FullLengthDies!

Well, I tried the drilling & the tapping, etc. - but in my case, my case was REALLY stuck! It's a Redding FL Size die in .308 Win. I called Redding and they said to send it in with a $6.00 check to cover return postage and they'd be glad to unstick it for me. I explained that the size button had been hopelessly damaged in my efforts to unstick the brass, and asked them how much extra I should include for a new one, and they said not to worry, they'd replace it for me at no cost. I sent it off to them yesterday.
Old October 18, 2007, 12:29 PM   #11
Master Blaster

You have a stuck case? here is how to avoid it in the future:

First get rid of that can of Hornady One Shot, It smells like crap and doesnt work any better.

Then get a tin of imperial sizing wax, and use that or use the Dillon lube according to directions and you will never have a stuck case in .223.
Old October 18, 2007, 05:57 PM   #12
castnblast

There are two types of loaders...Those that have had stuck cases, and those that will get stuck cases...
Old October 19, 2007, 09:17 AM   #13
cdoc42

Master Blaster why are you so vehemently opposed to Hornady One Shot? I've used it for the last 15 years or so without any problems-?
Old October 19, 2007, 10:49 AM   #14
Unclenick
Staff

And I use Imperial sizing wax and missed lubing a case and got it stuck anyway. At least the spray is hard to miss with. As to the tap-and-extract method? Tore the threads right out. Case is still in there. After a lot of consideration I have concluded the way to go is to pick up some dry ice and cool the thing gradually to that temperature, then try to get the case out. Brass has a greater temperature coefficient of friction than steel, so it will shrink more than the steel as it cools. Since I have several other dies in .223, I haven't pursued it with any sense of urgency, but will let people know if it turns out to work OK?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 19, 2007, 08:09 PM   #15
TEDDY

stuck case

I just had a 45 colt stuck in a truline die.no way to put punch in.cut head of with hacksaw.a three cornered file cut a slot in case,pealed case side out.bought Lee carbide 45 colt set.went back to loading 45 colt.
Old October 19, 2007, 09:35 PM   #16
swmike

Just remove the expander/decapping pin from the top. Then just drive the case out with a drift punch. The LEE pin can be used as a punch if you wish as it is stout enough.

Then just use good lube and you won't have this problem again.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".