The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 25, 2007, 10:44 AM   #1
Groundhog

Pocket Carry Practice?

I have noticed many folks on here that advocate carrying a pocket gun for CCW. I don't know if all these types of guns are referred to as 'mouse' guns or not but I'd have to assume they are pretty small. My question is this:

If you use a pocket carry gun as your primary CCW, do you also practice with it regularly?

This is mostly a curious question from my perspective. I tried a number of pistols before settling on carrying a full sized service pistol. My rational ended up being that I wanted to have on me a gun that I was willing to practice with A LOT so I'd get good at it. After trying those small guns, it just seemed like they'd be really painful to shoot very much. So, if you carry one, do you really practice with it a lot or what?

"Remember, a valid point never overrules a family tradition." - Me
Old May 25, 2007, 10:56 AM   #2
Spenser

You can get away with something a bit bigger that doesn't kill you to practice with. For instance, a Glock 26 or 27 can hide pretty well in the right kind of pocket. Those are two pistols that aren't bad to shoot a lot.

I do agree that most people don't practice a lot with the pocket mouseguns. They bite, or recoil so sharply they just aren't fun to shoot. I think the majority just practice enough with them to prove they work, and that they can sort of hit what they are aiming at. It's the whole "carry a lot, shoot a little" thing.
Old May 25, 2007, 11:04 AM   #3
gvf

Colt Detective

I just got a Colt Detective. (2", .38). No bite, little perceived recoil, highly accurate, fun to shoot. Get one of those, better made 60 years ago than present ones. You'll want to go back to the range the next day. Known as THE most accurate snub. Guns & Ammo: http://www.gunsandammomag.com/classics/ct0507/
Old May 25, 2007, 11:10 AM   #4
kcshooter

I shoot my Kimber Ultra Carry more than I should probably, about 300-500rds a month. Love shooting 1911's and the compactness of that one doesn't discourage shooting.
I shoot my Taurus 651 .357 only as much as I have to because it's not really a fun gun to shoot. I prefer a larger frame and barrel on revolvers. Maybe 150 rounds every couple months.
I shoot my P11 just enough to know I can count on it. Maybe 100 rds a month after I got thru the first 500-800 rds of proof firings. I'll be slowing down on that one too now that I know I can count on it, most likely 3 magazines a month, 36 rounds.
Not really pocket guns as I don't pocket carry but they are all small concealable guns.
You have to practice and prove the guns you carry most, even if it isn't as much fun as the fullsized 1911 or 92fs or other guns that you bring to the range with you for the fun of shooting.
Old May 25, 2007, 11:14 AM   #5
Johannes_Paulsen

I just got a Kahr MK9 that I intend to mostly carry in the pocket. It may not quite be small/light enough to be considered a mousegun, but close enough for me. I put 100 rounds through it last week, and don't think practicing with it will be too much of a problem. (Wasn't quite as fun to shoot as the Glock 19 was, but I'm not complaining.)

I am more worried about being able to present it well. I bought a cheap Uncle Mike's pocket holster for it, and I'm not too impressed with it so far -- it seems to come out with the gun maybe 20% of the time when drawn. I suspect that many pocket carriers don't practice presentation nearly as much as they practice shooting.

(I have a slightly different setup for my jacket/vest pocket carry which works perfectly, but with summer coming up, I'm going to need a better pocket holster.)
Old May 25, 2007, 11:16 AM   #6
osuflipster

I pocket carry my Kel-tec P-32, and practice with it a-lot. It is actually enjoyable to shoot and is accurate when doing two handed slow fire. I also practice one and two handed rapid fire. I can put all seven rounds of 32 on target, so don't feel undergunned. I also have G26 with pocket holster that never gets carried, I agree you can make it work, but you have to dress around the gun. The P-32 fits in all pockets, thus it always gets to go out.
Glock 26; Kel-Tec P32
Old May 25, 2007, 11:20 AM   #7
slow944

I carry a KT P3AT in my front pocket most of the time. I take it to the range with me when I shoot my other guns for practice. I always put a couple of mags thru the P3AT just to make sure it's still working with the load I'm carrying and to see if their still hitting where I'm aiming.
Old May 25, 2007, 11:30 AM   #8
rantingredneck

I shoot my Guardian .32NAA about once every other month. 2-3 mags or more per session. I can keep 3 mags of Corbon 60gr ammo in the 9 ring at 7 yds. Plenty accurate for a 2 inch barrel and no sights.
Old May 25, 2007, 12:28 PM   #9
Don H

I pocket-carry a Kimber Ultra Carry in .45ACP. I'm getting close to 3,000 rounds through it and neither I or my wife find it painful to shoot it a lot.
Old May 25, 2007, 02:27 PM   #10
workingstiff

Snub

I conceal a 642 in the front pocket in a Mika holster. I quit regular practice with it at about 1,000 rounds. It went bang every time. Now it gets 100 rounds before its twice yearly cleaning. If I'm gonna clean it I'm gonna shoot it first. Pretty acccurate at close range point and shoot.

I have other revolvers and pistols for range duty.
Old May 25, 2007, 04:25 PM   #11
Mannlicher

I have used a Sam Andrews Pocket holster for many years. It just is the best. Does not print, and the rough leather keeps in in the pocked when you draw the revolver. This is a Taurus 85CH, DAO .38 SP.
The Taurus gets regular range time, with HydraShock 125 grain JHPs.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old May 25, 2007, 07:48 PM   #12
UltraTacky

I have a Kimber Tactical Ultra II that I love, but I carry my 642 more often. I go to the range about every two weeks and I always run 50 rds through the 642, with at least 50% weak-handed. I found a remarkable increase in accuracy and recoil control with this routine.
Old May 25, 2007, 11:37 PM   #13
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
If you use a pocket carry gun as your primary CCW, do you also practice with it regularly?
Yes, and because it is a smaller gun and of a smaller caliber than I would rather be using for self defense, then practice is all that much more critical. Along the same lines, I also practice with both hands. Should I end up in a situation where I lose the use of my strong hand, then my situation is undoubtedly very bad and so it means that it is that much more important that my weak hand shots are effective.
Old May 26, 2007, 12:19 AM   #14
GeorgeF

Yup - put at least 24 rounds through my Mustang Pocketlite every range session (2x a month). Pleasure to shoot and reasonably accurate - pie plate at 7 yards easily.
Old May 26, 2007, 12:50 AM   #15
Overman

I carry a snubnosed Smith & Wesson most of the time. .38 or .357 depending on my mood. Fits very well in a front pocket. Practice with them a lot. If I'm practicing with hot loads, I'll wear a shooting glove. Or just practice with light .38 loads.

Sure, with an Airweight S&W, it can hurt shooting hot loads, but I don't practice for enjoyment but to know how to use my weapon when I need it. So I'll shoot some hot loads, then back off with some lighter loads and a glove. And so what if it it hurts a little. Getting used to that, and shooting with precision and without blinking or flinching is good practice in and of itself.
Old May 27, 2007, 07:53 AM   #16
Voyager AL

Like Overman, I carry a Airweight in a Mika in my front pocket, and yes, I practice pulling it out often. The Mika has NEVER came out with the gun. Its a pain in the butt to get the holster out. Its a perfect holster. I now never use my smartcarry, Mika for me!
Old May 28, 2007, 09:07 AM   #17
tegemu

I pocket carry my Kimber Ultra Carry II and fire it abiout twice a year to keep it functioning. Most of the time I shoot one of my other 1911's for practice.
Old May 28, 2007, 09:25 AM   #18
MacGille

When I do carry,(not often) I use a .38 derringer. I have shot it at cowboy action shoots enough to know where the bullets go, but I don't practice with it for obvious reasons. It is for those situations when I have no other choice but to kill someone. (pretty rare) I am confident that at 10 feet or less it will be effective. Since I don't live in a war zone, it is sufficient. Although living in Stockton, CA is close to a war zone. Reality is that if you don't hang out in the bad part of town and don't dress like a gangster, there is not much to worry about. I also carry a Scottish fighting dagger sometimes although it isn't as easy to conceal.(10" blade) I find the knife to be a great deterrent in close encounters. Just show it and the BGs flit.

Since I don't mind getting close in bad situations I don't need a huge gun or a zillion bullets.
If ye love wealth better than Liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animated contest of Freedom, go from us in Peace. We ask not your counsel or Arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. --Samuel Adams--<*ixoye><
Old May 28, 2007, 09:36 AM   #19
glassman

I pocket carry a beretta tomcat when I have to go into the city (philadelphia). I go to the range an average of once a week and put 50 rounds down range at each session before moving up to my cz75 or python. My thinking is that if I have to use it, I want it to be second nature to me! At home, I practice drawing it from my back pocket, point of aim, flipping the safety and dry firing on a snap cap.
Old May 29, 2007, 03:13 PM   #20
Stevie-Ray

Whenever I go to the range I shoot all 3 of my normal carries. Kimber UCDP .45, G26, and KelTec P32. I also carry a HKUSP45C once in a while, but it has been fired way more than the others with the same ammo as the Kimber. It gets the range treatment about every 3 trips. As the P32 performs double-duty as primary at times, and as BUG, it is used every trip.
Old May 29, 2007, 03:27 PM   #21
bisley7

Colt Mustang PocketLite in the front pocket of Wrangler relaxed fit jeans. I take it to the range for "exercise" all the time.
Old May 29, 2007, 03:29 PM   #22
dyoun06

S&w 340pd

My S&W 340PD weighs in at 12.5 ounces (unloaded), is scandium/titanium/SS. Uses 357 or 38+P loads. And can be comfortably carried in pocket or concealed holster.
Old June 5, 2007, 12:09 AM   #23
pangris

I've used my daily carry - a S&W 642 - at several classes, including a revolver class at Thunder Ranch and a regular pistol class at Shootrite.

It is HARD to keep up in a "regular" iclass filled with autos, if not impossible, but it makes you think...
Old June 6, 2007, 10:59 PM   #24
biere

My backup handgun is a s&w 642 and generally it is pocket carried.

And yes I practice drawing and shooting it.

One thing I noticed right off is that in some positions my iwb is hard to get to while the pocket gun is easy. And sometimes the opposite is true.

I mostly shoot 38 special instead of 38 special +p in the 642 just because I prefer lots of practice with the 642 vs. the price the +p ammo brings into the equation.

I sold my glock 27 after getting tired of trying to practice with it a lot.

IWB I carry an all steel 1911 in 45acp, either fullsize of 4.25 inch slide length.

I don't mind taking a class with the 1911.

I know from trying to get proficient with the 642 that it is a backup gun and not something I am going to carry multiple reloads for.

And that is just how things worked out for me.