The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 24, 2019, 01:19 PM   #1
Tankist

Beretta 92 Billennium

Not a common pistol these days, but i'm sure a bunch of folks on this forum will be familiar with it. I bought it ages ago as a shooter. It has a few thousand rounds through it, but is still mint and completely stock.

Wanted to see if someone could perhaps talk some sense into me...

It just so happens that I'm in my "modding" phase right now. Hence, wondering what I can do to "improve" this pistol a bit. For one thing, I was never quite crazy about the rear sight. I have seen others install after-market sights on these. Something low profile for casual shooting. But for the life of me, cant quite see how they get it done without cutting into the slide.

Another aspect, I might be interested in improving is the finish. Current finish is certainly pretty, but in my estimate, not very durable. Thinking about doing something like a battle worn finish I've seen around recently. What do you guys think? Who would be able to do that?

Finally, I would like to lighten the trigger up a bit. For a single action pistol, the current trigger is pretty heavy at 4lb. Not sure who I would trust to get this done.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Tankist; April 26, 2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old April 24, 2019, 01:51 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I can't tell if it has the regular Beretta rear dovetail. If so, Aristocrat and LPA make sights. Looks like it has a front dovetail, too.

I'd contact Ernest Langdon and see if he will work on the Billenneium trigger. Sights too, for that matter. I know he gets great reviews on his regular Berettas.

https://www.langdontactical.com/

I'd just keep using it and let it get that worn look with real... wear.
Old April 24, 2019, 07:20 PM   #3
GarandTd

I'm not a fan of the battle worn finish, but, not my gun. If you've had this pistol for ages and it is mint with a pretty finish, what makes you question it's durability? Why not get a worn finish the old fashioned way?
Old April 26, 2019, 02:28 AM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Not a common pistol these days...
Not a common pistol period. There were only 2000 made.
Quote:
Current finish is certainly pretty, but in my estimate, not very durable.
About the only thing harder than the stock Billennium finish would be hard chrome. Are you really seeing a lot of wear on the finish? What makes you think it isn't durable?
Quote:
I was never quite crazy about the rear sight. I have seen others install after-market sights on these. Something low profile for casual shooting.
Beretta sells some adjustable sights for their 92/96 series and could probably answer questions about whether or not they would fit the Billennium. I kind of doubt you need to alter the slide to put a different sight on it--unless Beretta went to the trouble to use a non-standard dovetail in that model.

Before you start altering it, you might look at what they sell for now. You might be able to make enough money on the sale to buy another gun and also pay for lots and lots of mods to it.
Old April 26, 2019, 03:29 PM   #5
Tankist

One of the reasons its not worn down more is that I haven't really shot it much, and one of the reasons I haven't, was due to observing finish damage happen early on at pretty much all contact points. Not an on-common thing, but in this case, the damage seems to be much more biting than on any other pistol I own. The most visible spot is at the front top of the barrel that goes under the slide hood.

Hard Chrome is an option. I happen to have one pistol that is hard chromed. It is as rep goes... pretty much indestructible. For some reason, I was thinking that there might be better options than HC now.

Last edited by Tankist; April 26, 2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old April 26, 2019, 03:52 PM   #6
Tankist

Thank you John.

My understanding is that the current finish is some type of satin/polished nickel‑alloy. I can see pieces of it where it came off at various contact points, particularly at the top of the barrel. Not a deal breaker per say, as I did buy this pistol to be a shooter. The other problem with it is that it takes a lot of cleaning and polishing to keep its appearance. Way more maintenance, appearance wise after every session than any other pistol I own.

I suppose I can leave it alone and shoot it more! Otherwise, you could say that I'm just looking for some not too crazy ways to make it more resistant to wear without all the finish flying off of it. No way of knowing if that will actually happen, as I've yet to observe what a high wear one looks like. In fact, most folks don't seem to shoot these much.

All other things aside, the trigger could definitely use a bit of work especially when compared to a modern high end single action pistol such as CZ-75 TSO.

@Jim. Thanks very much. I will check with the vendors you suggested. Perhaps one of them can help me with some sight upgrades. Rear sight mount does not seem to employ standard Beretta dovetail. I'll need to take a closer look at it or as John suggested, give Beretta a call.

Last edited by Tankist; April 26, 2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old May 8, 2019, 04:46 PM   #7
Bart Noir

That few were made? Guess I was privileged to see even one offered for sale.

And, I kid you not, my first thought when I saw the name on it was "They named a Beretta after Bill Clinton?"

After all, he was the Prez then.

Bart Noir
Old May 11, 2019, 08:51 AM   #8
Fullclip610

Don’t do it!

For a somewhat rare pistol most people like to keep them in mint condition yet you want the battle worn look. I would seriously think twice about that. That’s like buying jeans and putting holes all over them!
Old May 12, 2019, 01:40 PM   #9
dgludwig

Quote:
That’s like buying jeans and putting holes all over them!
Hard to believe, I suppose, but when that fad was most faddish, some people did just that!