The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 9, 2017, 08:49 PM   #26
AxlMyk

Looks more like a Rhino than anything else.
Old January 9, 2017, 09:27 PM   #27
gc70

The designers have certainly taken an interesting approach to achieving an extremely low bore axis.
Old January 9, 2017, 09:36 PM   #28
jimbob86

Not a 1911. Not even very 1911ish.
Old January 9, 2017, 09:37 PM   #29
Kreyzhorse

Just, no. It is terrible and I wouldn't call it a 1911 or even styled after one.
Old January 9, 2017, 10:06 PM   #30
JKP

It has the fine looks of a Hi-Point.

Last edited by JKP; January 11, 2017 at 12:04 AM.
Old January 9, 2017, 10:45 PM   #31
redlightrich

Wow!! Tough crowd here!!! I think their marketing ( or whoever referred to it as a new 1911 didn't realize the reverence bestowed upon the 1911 design.

This might be a great gun ( it had better be with that price tag) but it isn't even remotely 1911 like, or ish, or anything.

Time for a new marketing approach

Rich
Old January 9, 2017, 11:20 PM   #32
2ndsojourn

This is heresy. I don't even have my glasses on and can see it looks nothing like a 1911.
Old January 10, 2017, 01:47 AM   #33
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
The oproblem is not that people resist something new. The problem is that whoever is behind this has apparently made an intentional effort to link this "something new" to something old that is often considered to be the finest semi-automatic handgun ever designed. IMHO, if you want to successfully promote something new, you don't tie it to a 100-plus-year old design.
And yet almost every negative comment on this gun has been linked to it not being a 1911 and therefore bad.

Everyone agrees that it is not a 1911, but does that mean it is bad?

Case in point:
Quote:
Hudsons were characterized by excellent engineering and superior performance. I see nothing to suggest that this atrocity offrs either.
You haven't even seen it in the flesh and you've already convinced yourself that it will be a badly made firearm...

But my comment was more of a general observation.

People say that each gun is just a rehash of an existing design, usually based on a Browning breech but I've seen it many times: a new, innovative design comes out and its "Ain't no Sig" or "Gimme a BHP anyday". That is all I'm saying. People want new and when it arrives, they suddenly decide they don't.

That is just my impression over the time I've been on here. Not a rule, but a trend.
Old January 10, 2017, 02:40 AM   #34
FrankenMauser

I'm willing to give it a chance.

I won't be buying one any time soon, but I'm willing to see how it does.

As mentioned, the 1911 references are not from Hudson. Don't blame them for that garbage.
Old January 10, 2017, 03:03 AM   #35
mr bolo

looks so Futuristic

I kinda like it, it looks so Modern and unique, almost like something out of a science fiction movie like Blade Runner

or TOTAL RECALL with Arnold Schwarzenegger

Old January 10, 2017, 03:27 AM   #36
Koda94

I think its funny how on their website they say that pistols remained unchanged for half a century yet in their effort to improve upon this they use the trigger design and ergonomics from one of the oldest designs still running. This isnt bad though, the 1911 got it right over a hundred years ago why deviate?

This is not a 1911 of course. It only says its inspired by the 1911 and uses the 1911 type of trigger, I don't blame them for copying that into modern technology.

I do like it. Same grip angle as the 1911 is perfect, thin like the 1911 yet "high cap", low bore axis, striker fired, metal frame and for the purists can even come with a manual thumb safety. I think they have a winner.

I find the extra tall dust cover interesting, must have to do with the extra low bore axis is my guess.
Old January 10, 2017, 06:30 AM   #37
CajunBass

I wouldn't interest me, but then not many semi-auto pistols do.

My son was going through my tape box in the Jeep one day. He pulled out Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, Johnny Horton. "Dad...do you have anything by anyone who's still alive?" I thought for a minute..."No."

I'm sort of the same way about guns.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 10, 2017, 07:18 AM   #38
Spats McGee
Staff

It's certainly not a 1911. It may be '1911-inspired,' but that's a pretty squishy phrase. It's homely. It's heavy for a capacity of 15 rounds, but I guess recoil ought to be next to nothing. It's a "meh" for me.
Old January 10, 2017, 07:30 AM   #39
m&p45acp10+1

The price of it keeps me away. For that much I could get a Gold Cup with a few dollars left over for ammo.
Old January 10, 2017, 07:42 AM   #40
ttarp

Quote:
I think there are way, way too many 1911 purists to let this 'thing' to get a hold. This will be discounted within a year. Truth is it may be a great gun but it will never be able to stand up on it's own.
The gun could very well possibly stand on its own, what it can't do is stand on the 1911's design and history, it has nothing to do with purist, its no more a 1911 than it is a glock.

Quote:
And yet almost every negative comment on this gun has been linked to it not being a 1911 and therefore bad.

Everyone agrees that it is not a 1911, but does that mean it is bad?
The negative comments are because they have the audacity to call it a 1911, which it clearly doesn't have a lot in common with.

Its like taking the engine out of a Corvette, putting it into a Honda Civic, and calling it a Corvette. It might have a few guts of the Corvette, and might be the fastest thing on the block, but a Corvette it is not.
Old January 10, 2017, 07:47 AM   #41
madmo44mag

John Browning is rolling in his grave for sure.
Old January 10, 2017, 08:19 AM   #42
Wishoot

Guys. Please. Calm down a bit.

Hudson makes only one reference to a 1911 in their marketing material and that's in regards to it's "1911 STYLE TRIGGER". That's it. Nowhere else does Hudson try to make any comparisons between their offering and a 1911. Go to their website and look for yourselves.

Blame goes to the dink at Outdoor Hub.
Old January 10, 2017, 08:35 AM   #43
Skans

I would like this gun except for several things:

1. It STILL has a trigger dingus! WHY??? Please, just add a manual safety and get rid of the stupid trigger dingus - hiding it doesn't make it go away! The trigger can feel like the best 1911 trigger in the world, but when you plop a trigger dingus on top of that it turns a GOOD trigger into a CRAPPY trigger. What nimrod thought they needed to add a trigger dingus?

2. A version without the dumb rail would be nice. The clunky rail detracts from what would be a really nice looking gun. Trim the fat off of the belly of the frame and I think you will be surprised at how nice this gun would look!

3. I like the way the controls are more flush with the gun. I really like this!

4. I like the 15 round capacity. Yes, 15 rounds is necessary!

5. I like that it does not appear to have a silly grip safety.

6. I like the more rounded edges; almost looks like a nice melt job.
Old January 10, 2017, 08:40 AM   #44
drobs

I kinda like it. Go watch the video on their website. Big 1911 reference.
http://hudsonmfg.com/

The low bore axis reminds me of the Sig P210.

Edit: Ambi-safeties will be available.
Nice to see something new from the US instead of Turkey.
Old January 10, 2017, 09:15 AM   #45
jimbob86

Quote:
Hudson makes only one reference to a 1911 in their marketing material and that's in regards to it's "1911 STYLE TRIGGER".
How is it a "1911 style trigger" yet is striker fired?
Old January 10, 2017, 03:30 PM   #46
5whiskey

Quote:
How is it a "1911 style trigger" yet is striker fired?
It appears to have a straight-pull trigger, which can be pressed straight to the rear, instead of a hing type trigger that rotates on an axis point (trigger pin). If it were somewhere in the realm of being reasonably priced when compared to many other excellent pistols with great (though not 1911 inspired) triggers, such as a CZ75 and it's variants/clones, then I may would be interested at trying one. At their asking MSRP, you have almost the entire pistol market to compete with (excluding custom guns).

I see the straight-pull trigger on a striker pistol, along with some other apparent designs they incorporate, to be interesting. Interesting doesn't necessarily mean good... more like it could be good if they pulled it off.
Old January 10, 2017, 03:39 PM   #47
TopMCITWS

Ugly and not even close to being a 1911. Without question, a pure marketing move.
Old January 11, 2017, 12:00 PM   #48
Mike Irwin
Staff

About time someone updated that ugly piece of pig iron called the 1911...

(ducking for cover and running like hell!)

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 11, 2017, 12:16 PM   #49
sgms

Mr Irwin, you sir have a very dangerous sense of humor
LOL
Old January 12, 2017, 02:07 PM   #50
peggysue

Has the bore axes of the not very good Diamond Back FS9.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...+1+9mm+4.75%22