The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 20, 2012, 12:08 PM   #1
jpla

Un-Chambering a Shotgun

I have a JC Higgins Model 20 12ga shotgun. It is currently loaded with 2 shells, 1 in the chamber and 1 in the mag. I would like to get both shells out without firing. How do I do it? Thank you for your help!
Old May 20, 2012, 12:22 PM   #2
zippy13

Keep it pointed in a safe direction, hit the action release (I sold my JC Higgins in '67 so I've forgotten where the release is) and cycle the action twice -- both shells should be ejected via the side port.
Old May 20, 2012, 12:24 PM   #3
PetahW

There should be a small tab next to the trigger guard of your High Standard M200 pump gun - it is the slide release.

If you hold it depressed and cycle the forearm/slide handle, the bolt will be operated and should eject any shell in the chamber.

Since shells in the magazine will also be chamberd at the same time (one for each "pump"), just keep cycling until the gun is empty - being sure (LOOK ! ) the at the last bolt closure no ammo is being chambered - OR leave the gun "open" with the slide handle all the way "back".

The tube magazine can be manually unloaded - but it's not for someone inexperienced in the actions required to manipulate the various latches.

Old May 20, 2012, 12:28 PM   #4
jpla

Terrific, all done and safe! Thank you!
Old May 20, 2012, 11:34 PM   #5
darkroommike

Most shotguns also have (for lack of a better term) a shotshell release inside the magazine tube, depressing that will get shells out of the shotgun magazine tube without cycling the action, you get the chambered shell out by racking the slide. And keep your finger out of the trigger guard!

HOWEVER, you never load any weapon for the first time until you are sure you know how to unload it safely AND you should never chamber a round into any weapon until you are ready to shoot. The second part is most important in hunting when climbing fences, crossing ditches etc. It's also useful in home defense situations, I know that if I were a bad guy and heard someone rack the slide on a shotgun I would be looking for the closest exit even if I had to make a door on the closest line of departure.

Forgive me if I'm sounding preachy but I grew up around guns and a lot of people did not.
Old May 21, 2012, 12:40 AM   #6
jpla

Thanks for the tips!