The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 16, 2011, 06:03 PM   #26
Shotgun693

I use a Marlin in .38-55. It'll kill anything I'd hunt in Texas except buffalo. If I can ever afford to go hunt something big I'd get another Remington Rolling Block likely in .44-77, maybe in .40-70.
Old September 16, 2011, 06:31 PM   #27
jimbob86

Quote:
You can't hunt everything from moose to rabbits with one rifle.
You could if you knew how to handload and cast your own lead bullets for reduced loads for the small stuff.......

It is, as usual, all a matter of skills and determination.
Old September 16, 2011, 06:41 PM   #28
Jo6pak

I vote for the 6.5 Swede.....but then again that's my answer for most questions
Old September 19, 2011, 11:28 AM   #29
bamaranger

OK..moose to mice

Duly noted.

You can hunt everything with one rifle, but it'll be a bunch of time/effort easily avoided by the acquistion of a .22. Some guys are into cast bullets and reduced loads and sight settings to get same to point of aim/point of impact and then back again, etc, etc.

But ........my clincher.....who wants to own just one rifle??????????
Old September 19, 2011, 02:25 PM   #30
Shadow9

Jimbob - I haven't had the range room (25 acres of privately-owned deep forest is my "range") to do a 100-yard test, but I do have the "Accuracy card" from Steyr that shows exactly 1-MOA, and was shot from rest at the S-M Factory in Austria.

bamaranger - This is true, a .22 has been on the menu, however I am considering an accurate pistol instead of a rifle...something I can draw and shoot quickly, as well as bolster my pistol-shooting skill with. As far as one-rifle? Well, I'm young and looking at a mobile-lifestyle in the next few years (moving in with s/o to new apt, space-limitations, etc), and having more than 1-2 guns will impede this.
Plus, I used to have multiple guns...it was...fun...but I really had 1-2 out of 7-8 that I'd ever shoot regularly...and 6.5 I'd be addicted to easier than 7-08/6.5/20g/7.62x54/30-06/etc etc.

RE: Marlins/Winchesters/Remingtons - consider me blasphemous, but I wouldn't drop money on any of the aforementioned...it's a personal taste thing, the Winchesters are the only American rifles that I've taken any kind of interest in, but even that's limited. I dislike Remington actions (despite their pedigree track record), and Marlins, although EXCELLENT woods-rifles, I also cannot really form a good "relationship" with. Again, elitist-eurotrash reporting in... :P

That said, I do have access to a 336C with a 1.5-5x Marlin scope, German #1 reticle in .35 Rem. Excellent rifle for woods, but it's not mine, and I just don't really take to the lever-action/narrow/tall feel of the Marlins. Something about a good ol' Bavarian hogsback/full-stock rifle feels so right, especially the 527 and 452 FS's that I've held.

Now I just need to find a !$#% 550 FS to HOLD to see if my suspicions are correct... >.< Advice here appreciated, looks like I'm on the same wavelength as the rest! That is, adding a 6.5x55 to the collection (keeping it to one set of dies), and getting around to a .22LR pistol for close-range hunting later.

Any recommendations on a good, accurate .22LR pistol? Mark III, Single-six and Browning Buckmark were the ideas I had...Walthers I do not own for personal reasons (bad experiences/dislike the weapons), and the P22 has had it's well-known host of problems. The other .22LR pistols I've encountered offer cheap plinking, but less-than-stellar accuracy....or I'm not aware of others..
Old September 19, 2011, 02:57 PM   #31
Outlaw81

As far as 22 pistols go u absolutely cannot go wrong with a Browning buckmark. Personally im just about as deadly with mine at 100 yards as I am with my Adams & Bennett 10/22. U can usually find em at gun shows for less than $300 too!!