The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 17, 2007, 09:49 AM   #1
chuckmatlock

are the browning BAR's worth the money?

I am looking for a BAR in .270 but they seem quite expensive, are they worth it?
Old November 17, 2007, 10:35 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I don't guess I've ever heard a bad comment about them in all the years they've been in production. My only objection is the weight, but that's just me.

The gist of it all is that they're an accurate semi-auto, and quite reliable. I've never shot one, so I can't comment about the trigger's quality.

FWIW, Art
Old November 17, 2007, 11:08 AM   #3
chuckmatlock

thanks, it is a browning or a winchester 740?

can't seem to make up my mind, big price difference though.
Old November 17, 2007, 01:07 PM   #4
Scorch

The Brownings have a solid reputation for accuracy and durability. Although I also think they are a bit heavy, I love BARs.
Old November 19, 2007, 09:09 AM   #5
TreyNC

I have and old one my grandfather had. It's on target every time and I have taken many deer with it. It is even heavier than the newer ones. The only complaint I have about the BAR is that Browning doesn't make guns, BAR's are not American made. Can't say this is true for the current year production run, but I bet they say made in Japan.
Old November 19, 2007, 09:18 AM   #6
Dirty_Harry

My father has one in .308. It is an extremely nice rifle, accurate, nice fit and finish, and handy. The trigger is ok as triggers go, his is an older model so they might have improved them over the years.

Also have you looked at the Remingtons? I would get the BAR or the Remington, the winnies just have not been out as long.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old November 19, 2007, 12:52 PM   #7
Gewehr98

They might say "Made in Japan"...

Or they might say "Made in Belgium" like mine, or even "Made in Belgium, Assembled in Portugal".

My 1969 Belgian BAR in .30-06 will go with me to my dirt nap. I'll need a big casket, but it's been a real sweetheart of a rifle to me.

Neural Misfires
Old November 19, 2007, 01:35 PM   #8
TreyNC

Mine is a '68 with the engraving on the side. "Made in Belgium" is what it says. How's you trigger Gewehr98, mine is crap. Never noticed until I decided to try for some bench rest shooting just to see what it would do. I also cannot find a gunsmith in my area to boot.
Old November 19, 2007, 02:27 PM   #9
Gewehr98

Typical Browning trigger.

Crisp, around 3.5-4lbs, no problem.

I do clean my BAR upside-down, though. It's an old trick that I learned which keeps the gunk out of the lockwork where I would imagine it could affect trigger pull.

Neural Misfires