The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 12, 2013, 02:36 PM   #1
leadchucker

I open carried today

And no one noticed.

I must have been distracted this morning. I distinctly remember checking the chamber and safety on my carry piece, and placing it inside my waist band like I always do. But I obviously tucked my shirt tail in behind the gun instead of over it like I usually do.

Had breakfast with my wife, who would have said something if she had noticed, went to work, stood and talked to several people, including the boss, who would have definitely said something if anyone had noticed, went to lunch in a restaurant, took off my jacket, sat down, and ordered.

After the waitress left, I finally noticed my faux pas. I just pulled out my shirt tail to cover it, and quietly went to the men's room to fix it.

Ooops!
Old February 12, 2013, 02:56 PM   #2
ScottRiqui

Yep - it's either that they don't notice, or they just don't care. The few times that I've carried openly out of necessity, no one has ever said a word. Of course, they probably see a middle-aged clean-cut white dude and just think "off-duty cop" anyway.
Old February 12, 2013, 06:15 PM   #3
Flopsweat

Happy to be in an open carry state?
Old February 12, 2013, 09:13 PM   #4
jimbob24

Don't know if this sounds weird, but anyway... I live in an open carry state but don't open carry. (Don't think my clients would approve ) Anyway... I often see other people open carrying and next thing I know, I'm at the range the next weekend with them, their wife, their friends etc. I don't have any shooting buddies really, one other dude that jumps in the car and occasionally comes out.

I can't do it but I appreciate when others do.(assuming they are responsible, safe folks)

I'm glad your experience went well... oops! Try it again, you actually meet some pretty cool people.
Old February 12, 2013, 09:30 PM   #5
WC145

VT is the original constitutional carry state, no concealed carry permit needed. Maybe that's why you don't see anyone carrying openly.
Maine is an open carry state but in the 12 years I've lived here I've only seen one person doing it.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old February 12, 2013, 09:41 PM   #6
jonnyc

May not be PC here, but I just don't get the whole Open Carry point. Is it to make a political statement, to warn-off potential attackers, assure others around that they are safe with you around?
I really like the idea that Concealed Carry allows one to maintain the element of surprise or to act with discretion. It allows me to decide when and how (or if!) to react to a threat situation in my immediate vicinity.
Old February 12, 2013, 10:10 PM   #7
jimbob24

Open carry is something I never feel upset or even question about unless I see a group of nimrods openly being irresponsible or dangerous. I feel great that THE MAJORITY of people here are not concerned when they see someone male or female regardless of age sex or color walk into a restaurant and have a burger or beer or whatever!

Long story short, open carry here is not about who has the biggest balls, the most powerful weapon, or more rounds in their mag. (Just an example )

Its something people are used to, grew up around or simply just doesnt bother them.

I'm sorry, I think we got a little off topic. I apologize to staff and mods, and anyone else that may think I started a war. Not trying to.

Topic at hand, anyone else open carry today? Weird looks, good conversations, perhaps nothing at all? Carry on!
Old February 12, 2013, 11:32 PM   #8
shootniron

Not much of an open carry fan here...glad you discovered your "oops".
Old February 13, 2013, 03:21 PM   #9
dajowi

Unfortunately OC just riles up the anti gunners.
Old February 13, 2013, 04:07 PM   #10
alex0535

Georgia is an open carry state if you have your carry permit, which is something that can be obtained easily for $80 and in 1 week.

Even though its legal, it isn't something you see very often.

I plan to concealed carry when i eventually apply for my permit.
Old February 13, 2013, 04:32 PM   #11
AndyWest

What's wrong with open carry? It deters crime against you, the establishments you visit, and people around you. I OC when it makes me comfortable and I chat up others that do too. Usually the most pleasant, polite conversations I have all day.
Old February 13, 2013, 04:37 PM   #12
Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret

I want Chicago to resemble the same area in the OP: where people are used to seeing OC. I find this very exciting.
Illinois is going to get carry in a few months. Since the cops don't have much experience with law-abiding people carrying guns; I imagine the transition will not be seamless. There are going to be cops demanding ID, demanding that OC'ers submit to a Terry pat-down, all without explaining why. After the law is passed and we can familiarize ourselves with it; do any of you feel you have a civic duty to gage the reaction of law enforcement? If utube is any indication, there will be cops out there trying to discourage OC through intimidation or nefarious actions, especially in downtown Chicago.

The process of going from 'any gun anywhere in Chicago is not tolerated' to 'citizens OC'ing on the sidewalk downtown won't be hassled by police' is going to be embarrassing for the citizens and for that it should be expensive for the city. We should organize a OC parade or something right off the bat.
We can start at my apartment.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:04 PM   #13
Salmoneye

Quote:
VT is the original constitutional carry state, no concealed carry permit needed. Maybe that's why you don't see anyone carrying openly.
Maine is an open carry state but in the 12 years I've lived here I've only seen one person doing it.
About the only time I carry openly any more is from September 1st to May 20th or so...

That would be Bear/Deer/Small-Game/Fish-Shooting Seasons back to back...

The rest of the year I generally put something in my pocket...

Old February 13, 2013, 05:53 PM   #14
lcpiper

AZ was open carry and of course had concealed carry with a permit. But Gov. Brewer, Jan to her friends , signed the latest CC bill into law we joined Vermont in that you can CC without a special permit.

All I am going to say about states that restrict you to open carry is that they are just making a target out of their citizens who only want to legally protect themselves and their loved ones.

Milwaukee man robbed while open carrying.
http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/95999354.html

Man robbed while open carrying in VA.
http://www.usacarry.com/forums/open-...d-his-gun.html

And this guy was robbed with his own gun while open carrying.
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/0...-carry-holder/
Old February 13, 2013, 07:00 PM   #15
lwb

I respect anyones right to open carry if that is what your state allows,personally I will not do it.If I ever have to defend myself then I want surprize on my side,I dont want someone to see my gun before I can even reach for it. Just my opinion.
Old February 13, 2013, 08:06 PM   #16
Spats McGee
Staff

OC might be right for some, but not me. I don't have any philosophical objection to it, but I don't want to be the first target (because I'm the one with the gun), and I want the element of surprise.
Old February 13, 2013, 08:29 PM   #17
L2R

I agree with Conceal carry

HOWEVER;

someone else made in interesting post a couple of weeks ago.
They were tired of hiding their beliefs in their waistband.

I posted here as well that over time we have hidden our guns, speak only to those we know agree with us and even then in low tones so as not to offend others in public or at work.

Keeping this all in our pants for so many years has deceived those on the fence. When they hear the media saying we are the small minority, it sure does look that way.

I am not suggesting we start open carrying tomorrow. I prefer cc as well. But our actions means we are in some ways being our own worst enemy.
Old February 13, 2013, 08:45 PM   #18
jonnyc

So, you are saying the OC is a political statement?
It's not one I want to make at the risk of losing any tactical advantage I might have. I'm not the one planning any criminal activity, and I don't want to figure into anyone else's nefarious plan.
Old February 13, 2013, 09:09 PM   #19
Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret

Never mind. The bill states one must produce the license upon request.
Old February 14, 2013, 01:10 AM   #20
jessedehaven04

ohio is an open carry state, ive never seen anyone do it though, from what i understand they arrest you for inducing panic and then drop the charges at a later date mainly because they figure you wont sue them as there is no money to be gained, kinda crappy
Old February 14, 2013, 01:41 AM   #21
Caboclo

I'm fascinated to see that there are 3 different threads currently active about OC. For those with an interest, check out opencarry.org.

The 'element of surprise' argument does have validity. So does the 'political statement' argument. The one argument that rarely gets mentioned (and my personal reason for OC) is that it's much more comfortable. Strong side OWB is much better than strong side IWB, and Cross Draw totally beats both. But Cross Draw with a big gun and even a small spare tire simply does not conceal under anything less than arctic Carhartts.

As for the public's reaction, I've OC'd a fair bit in Colorado and Alaska, and the positive comments have out-weighed the negative by at least 10-1. I even inspired a guy to go buy his first gun, and took him to the range a few times and gave him some pointers. So the political statement IS effective.
Old February 14, 2013, 02:09 AM   #22
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
May not be PC here, but I just don't get the whole Open Carry point.
PC ain't something I do much of...

Quote:
Is it to make a political statement,
NOPE... I do that with my vote...

Quote:
to warn-off potential attackers,
Nope... I don't do much barking... Like any good ol' bulldog, I make noise when i am happy...

Quote:
assure others around that they are safe with you around?
Naw... Heck, i ain't there to protect them so if my presence gives them a safe warm feeling... it is likely a false sense of security...

Quote:
I really like the idea that Concealed Carry allows one to maintain the element of surprise or to act with discretion. It allows me to decide when and how (or if!) to react to a threat situation in my immediate vicinity.
I like that about concealed carry for those reasons too but for daily carry, I am not able to carry the firearm of my choice concealed in a manner I like...

I prefer mid to full size semi auto loader pistols bigger than 9mm... I don't think I want to stash it in a pocket...

I wear tucked in shirts and jeans with a belt... both fitting me properly not loosely... These do not lend well to IWB carry...

So I currently do not carry a firearm...

I see OC of a firearm no differently than my OC of a razor sharp Buck 110...
I know both are lethal self defense arms and I am not afraid to use either to poke holes in something endangering my life... But for some reason no one else sees the knife as a fear inciting risk...

If Florida ever allows open carry without the hunting/fishing/outdoors activity restrictions, I will be armed with a firearm daily...

Brent
Old February 14, 2013, 06:38 AM   #23
L2R

no, not saying op is a political statement

I am saying that all these things I see gun owners do, is leading.

We conceal carry
we conceal open talk about gun carry
we don't tell others we have guns as we may become a target for theft or violence.

My point was that while I do these things, there is no obvious difference between me and anti's to the general public. They don't know we exist.
So when the media says we are few in numbers, the the sheeple believe and the public is swayed.

I am not going to op and not suggesting anyone does but by doing so-where is our voice? Not here and not the media.
Old February 14, 2013, 09:22 AM   #24
leadchucker

I didn't intend to start another open-carry-versus-concealed-carry argument. This situation and the comments just made me think more about openly carrying a firearm. NC open carry laws are vague, so I can't be sure when and where it would be legal, anyway.

I feel that concealing the fact that you are armed has more advantages than disadvantages;
There is no danger of intimidating or scaring those around you, or drawing undue attention. It has nothing to do with openly exercising any rights.
You do not have to keep a close watch on your exposed weapon.
It gives you a tactical advantage in a situation where the gun's use might be required. Figuratively speaking, it is a trump card. When playing cards, I don't like to reveal my hand.

Last edited by leadchucker; February 14, 2013 at 10:24 AM. Reason: DUH!
Old February 14, 2013, 09:38 AM   #25
AH.74

Quote:
I feel that concealing the fact that you are armed has more disadvantages than advantages;
According to what you wrote, I believe you got that backwards- more advantages than disadvantages.