The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 29, 2008, 09:41 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

CCW... & that football game...

I went to the Vikings game yesterday ( my 1st game since I began carrying )... I'm not from the metro area, & believe I'd have a much higher need for personal protection "down town" than I would day to day in my normal rural environment... they do not allow "guns" in the dome... & I guess I can understand the reasoning

I guess I didn't even give thought that they would ban guns in larger sporting events, & had to turn back & leave my CZ Compact in my truck before I could get in, they were patting down everyone... ( they still gave me a bit of grief about the empty holster, but nothing serious )

two things bother me here...

removing my gun, & leaving it in a vehical ( we were tail gating, but I was a DD so I had not been drinking ), but had to leave my piece in my truck in a more "unsecure" parking lot than I was comfortable with...

2nd... that area is not necessarily "dangerous", during the time the game is on, but in either the earlier or later hours of tailgating that "type" of neighbor hood is not my favorite place to hang out...

what do you responsible CCW holders do when attending "anti gun" type of events in areas you are not as comfortable in ???
Old December 29, 2008, 10:03 AM   #2
jfrey123

I was just at the 49ers game yesterday. I'm from NV and obviously couldn't legally carry in California. Needless to say, I left the gun at home.

This was only my second time at a game, and this time I ended up in one of their parking lots further back. Having seen what happens, I'll never be leaving an expensive belonging in my SUV again!

At best count, 7 vehicles around me had windows busted out. One guy was shouting at a girl who had come with him because she left her purse out in view and it had been emptied, so he assumed that's why his window was broke. As we drove out in the long lines, a back road that had been flooded with vehicles on the shoulder were also victimized. At least 12 vehicles, either still sitting there with broken windows or others already driven off leaving broken glass on the street. It seemed as if the vandals just walked down the back road nailing every single car. It was disgusting.

Unless you have a safe bolted to the frame of your vehicle, and hidden from view, I'd leave the gun at home when going to a game. It's what I did. The best I could do was to deeply conceal a small folding knife prior to walking to the security check point.
Old December 29, 2008, 10:17 AM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
what do you responsible CCW holders do when attending "anti gun" type of events in areas you are not as comfortable in ???
If there was a place that I was actually not comfortable without a gun, I wouldn't go there.

I see carrying as a way to protect against the 1 in a million happenstance, not as a way to protect me in dangerous places. My protection in dangerous places is to not go there.
Old December 29, 2008, 10:46 AM   #4
22lr

Guns and football games do not match.

Ya you are able to control yourself but think of the guy that comes in, gets ticked at a coach for making a bad call and unloads on him. Guns and spectator sports just don't work all that well together.

And yes I carry a gun, but honestly football games are pretty much safe.
Old December 29, 2008, 11:24 AM   #5
David Armstrong

Quote:
what do you responsible CCW holders do when attending "anti gun" type of events in areas you are not as comfortable in
As others have said, if you are not comfortable without a gun you probably shouldn't go there in the first place. Having said that, I'm quite comfortable attending ball games and other events that are no-gun zones. I have a lockbox secured to my vehicle and the gun gets moved there when we park, secured, and then removed when appropriate.
Old December 29, 2008, 11:50 AM   #6
Sam06

Wheelman, I have a Stack on safe bolted under the backseat of my truck. When I have to go somewhere the don't allow guns the G26 goes inside. I don't attend Sporting events(I have a Plasma for that) but the I went to a McCain Rally here in town. I left the gun in the safe in the truck. Good thing too the security was higher than at the airport. Those Small safes work good. I know of a few people that have them and they have protected their Valuables. I even put one in my Dads vehicle for him. He saw mine and really liked it. The sell on Amazon for about 65-70 bucks. You can google "Stack-on personal safe" and it should take you there. They have a real small one that will even fit under the seat. Its about the size of a large book.
Old December 29, 2008, 12:30 PM   #7
Keltyke

Quote:
First, +1 to peetzakilla. If I'm REALLY uncomfortable in a place without my gun, I shouldn't be there, and I don't go. My weapon is for individuals, not areas.

I obey the law. Carrying into a place you aren't allowed can get you arrested and your CWP yanked. It also gives legal CW carriers specifically and gun owners in general a black eye to the rest of the public.
Old December 29, 2008, 12:46 PM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks for the replys...

... I'm not "totally" uncomfortable down town big city... but I guess I'd be considered a "country boy"... so in general, 90% of the reason I got my permit to carry, was for going "inner city"... I feel I'd need it a lot less ( percentage wise ) in the smaller towns, than in "down town"... I certainly understand the "not bringing it into the stadium" but have also seen plenty of vehicals get broken into "down town" so we try to keep everything out of sight as much as possible when in parked vehicals... & I certainly refilled my holster as soon as I got back to the truck after the game...

I've personally watched unsavory types work crouded stairways at concerts & big venue events, & have been caught off gaurd ( many years ago ), when we let ourselves stay visiting in a parking lot, too long after the crouds thinned, by a couple bad guys that got way too close for comfort...

I'm a pretty big guy, & my brothers bigger, so we are not looking like easy targets, but we also look more like tourists than inner city guys, so we may be percieved as worth while marks ??? I try to keep my side arm handy as much as possible when I'm out of my element...
Old December 29, 2008, 02:24 PM   #9
Garage Dog

It's illegal to carry at any sporting event here in Fla.
Old December 29, 2008, 02:35 PM   #10
Don H

Quote:
Guns and football games do not match.
Guns at spectator sports doesn't seem to be a problem around here.
Old December 29, 2008, 03:44 PM   #11
Joe Gunns

A upstanding citizen was fatally stabbed by one of the street people that Seattle tends to coddle as he and his family were leaving a Mariners game during daylight a number of years ago. Both the Mariners and Seahawks stadia are in higher crime locales. Weapons not allowed.
Old December 29, 2008, 04:00 PM   #12
freakintoguns

guns at football games woudl be a bed mix. sober i would have shot half the cowboys fo rtheyre "play" yesterday!
Old December 29, 2008, 04:35 PM   #13
22lr

Ever read stories of a dad who killed another dad at a kids hockey game?
How about guys who have heart attacks because they screaming at the refs (LOL my sister is a nurse in the heart unit and got that one, LOL poor guy was mad as the dickens when he found out he missed the game).

People get to carried away at such events. Not to say a responsible person couldn't control themselves but we all know that not all CCW holders can be considered responsible, there for we all arnt allowed to exercise our right. Not saying the law is always right, but in this case it is.

BTW: that 23-0 shut out of the Titans yesterday was amazing.
Old December 29, 2008, 05:46 PM   #14
jfrey123

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankintoguns
guns at football games woudl be a bed mix. sober i would have shot half the cowboys fo rtheyre "play" yesterday!
Yet drunken typing suits you well.

I agree carrying at games isn't a good idea, but man after watching the 49ers play last night, this Nevadan felt very uncomfortable around the Ghetto Superstars in the parking lot. Not to mention the uncountable amount of cars that were broken into. Crime is huge around the stadiums.
Old December 29, 2008, 09:04 PM   #15
Dwight55

When my son was younger (he's 29 now), . . . I made it a rule never to go any place where he was not welcome, . . . kept me out of some places I should not have gone to.

My son is happily married, . . . so now, . . . my new rule is more or less, . . . if my gun ain't welcome, . . . maybe I should rethink why I would be welcome there.

Yeah, . . . Dr's office, . . . post office, . . . etc. are a pain, . . . but from what I know of high profile sports from Columbus, Ohio, . . . I just don't go. Too expensive for one, . . . in junk areas of town for another.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old December 30, 2008, 01:56 AM   #16
Slopemeno

You did the parking-at-the-'Stick thing huh? You should try driving about a half mile east of there sometime...I go down there for work and hear some horror stories. One of my vendors employees was brained by a full beer thrown from the passenger side of a passing car recently.
Old December 31, 2008, 10:25 PM   #17
dakota223

its against federal law anyways. Didnt think you could carry anywhere where alcohol was served. am i right or mistaken?
Old December 31, 2008, 11:03 PM   #18
troy_mclure

Quote:
its against federal law anyways. Didn'T think you could carry anywhere where alcohol was served. am i right or mistaken?
there is no federal laws regarding concealed carry. its all state laws.

louisania says that you cannot carry in a place where the major source of income is from alcohol. unless you are the owner bartender.
that means you can carry in restaurants that serve booze, you can even sit at the bar, you just cant drink.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 1, 2009, 06:57 AM   #19
Kline605

I have also mounted a weapons safe under the back seat of my vehicle, and it has served me well. I agree with avoiding places that don't allow you to carry as a general rule, but sometimes it can't be helped.
Old January 1, 2009, 03:24 PM   #20
Don H

Quote:
its against federal law anyways. Didnt think you could carry anywhere where alcohol was served. am i right or mistaken?
Mistaken. Many, but not all, states prohibit carry + alcohol in one way or another. For example, Utah has no prohibition on carrying in a bar, etc., but it is illegal to "carry" while under the influence.
Old January 1, 2009, 03:43 PM   #21
scorpion_tyr

I don't go to places that don't allow CCW's. Exception: Federal Buildings, Police Stations, Military Bases, Gun Stores, etc. I have no problem leaving the gun at home or in the car when I go to these places because there are already a lot of people with big guns to protect me there.

When it comes to sporting events, concerts, etc. I don't go at all anymore. I'm not that big of a sports fan, loud music hurts my ears, I don't like crowds, and at all of those type events that I've been to there have always been acts of violence somewhere. Most of the time I never saw anything, just caught it on the morning news the next day.

Thousands of people + excitement + alcohol (sometimes) = a dangerou situation.

When I do have to leave my weapon in the car I always make sure it is well hidden. Immediately after getting back in my car I always make sure it is still there, loaded, and one in the chamber, and make it readily accessible again. In the event my weapon is stolen the insurance policy I have will cover it, and I have plenty of handguns I can use until the check comes in to replace the stolen one. That's the number one reason I own more than one firearm.
Old January 1, 2009, 06:41 PM   #22
Sevens

I can't get on board with the consensus of this thread at all. It seems like most everyone thinks that nobody who is legally allowed to carry is bright enough to keep from going goofy when watching sports and being forced to drink alcohol because they serve it.

It's ludicrous that anyone believes a man has a RIGHT to carry a concealed weapon, but the same man doesn't have the brains, common sense or self control to be responsible with that concealed weapon because he's at a sporting event.

If you go somewhere that serves alcohol and you carry, you don't drink, it's that simple. If you go somewhere that people act like buffoons and you carry, you learn to walk away-- not shoot them.

I don't know of anywhere it's legal to carry at a large sporting event. Most states eliminate them as a place you can carry just by law, others exclude themselves individually by proper signage. Either way, it's not legal, so I don't do it, ever. I don't do it because I value my right to own firearms and I value my concealed carry permit, so I guard them by following the law. Best I can come up with: a tiny can of pepper spray.

NO, "don't go" isn't an option. Frankly, that's a really poor answer. That's like telling the guy who lives in Ill, Wisc or Calif to "just move, man." That may be the eventual way around the problem, it may even be the easiest way around the problem, but it's not right, and it doesn't solve the problem. It's a band-aid and it's lousy advice.

If you work in a crappy part of town, you don't change jobs. (most of us don't) Or if they forbid carry on their property, you don't quit and make the wife take on a second job. If you attend live sporting events or concerts or the ballet or a comedy show, you don't quit going to those, either.

Myself, I'm a season ticket holder to a sporting team, so I go as much or more than anyone who'll read this unless you work for some team in some capacity. And NO, I don't feel like I need a gun on me while at any game or event or show.

But guys-- that walk to the building from my car, and back? It is without a doubt the single most dangerous place my life takes me on a regular basis. It's the city. It's a mile or two or more (often less) from where the muggings, the beatings, the drive-bys, the gang initiations and all the other ridiculous human events take place most often.

And like one poster said-- when you show up for a sporting event, park your car and leave it, ANYONE with half a working handful of brain cells can watch you leave and know for certain that your car will be left alone for at least 3 hours. It's the single best time I can think of for your handgun to get stolen from your car.

Everything I've written in this post is my opinion. I apologize for the length of it. But as I see it, there's only ONE right answer: The state says it's legal for me to carry a concealed weapon, but it's not legal for me to carry to a sporting event. That's just plain idiotic and irrational and totally ignorant and anyone who apologizes for the state's position on that needs to, IMO, re-think their position.

Just like the dumb restaurant that places a placard on the window advertising a criminal protection zone, so goes large public and sporting events. If you are a law-abiding citizen: hope, pray, cross fingers and rub your rabbit's foot that some loony doesn't sneak in a gun and starting mowing people down. If you are a criminal, however, and you don't follow ANY laws, here's a place where people are SPECIFICALLY forbidden to protect themselves with firearms. As a lawbreaker, it's business as usual, since you don't follow either the good laws or the stupid ones.

Gun owners, please quit apologizing for ignorant, short sighted and nonsensical laws. For sure, the bad guys LOVE the fact that you and I cannot carry there, or back to our car, either.
Old January 1, 2009, 07:31 PM   #23
Don H

Quote:
I don't know of anywhere it's legal to carry at a large sporting event.
Utah, for one.

Quote:
Just like the dumb restaurant that places a placard on the window advertising a criminal protection zone, so goes large public and sporting events. If you are a law-abiding citizen: hope, pray, cross fingers and rub your rabbit's foot that some loony doesn't sneak in a gun and starting mowing people down.
Placards and other signage carry no legal weight here (except churches and homes).

I can't think of anywhere I've been in the last year that it was illegal to carry, including my granddaughter's school.
Old January 1, 2009, 07:39 PM   #24
Sevens

That's terrific and most all of the other states in our nation have a good example to follow in your state of Utah.

Some are worse than where I live... in NC, you aren't legally allowed to carry in ANY place that you paid admission to enter. A sporting event, movie theater, or a model train display club.

In Ohio, I can't carry in a school. In fact, up until just months ago (September) I couldn't even carry in my person and sit in my car and pull up to the school to pick up my daughter. Right now, as the law reads, I can NOW pick her up when I'm carry as long as I don't exit my vehicle.

Of course, if I choose to exit my vehicle, I must leave my firearm in it, BUT THEN I MUST PARK IT OFF SCHOOL PROPERTY. Like across the street. Anything else is illegal, will have me jailed and revoke my right to carry.
Old January 1, 2009, 07:58 PM   #25
mnhntr

hey heres a thought. quit going to anti gun sporting events were all you are doing is buying a way overpriced ticket to pay a common thug a high priced salary to play a game. then he can go home to smoke weed and beat his wife or maybe kill his exwife and her new man. aint America great.
this is an opinion and not meant to offend anyone except weed smoking, wife beating, dog fighting, pro atheletes and their team owners and coaches.