The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 27, 2007, 06:48 PM   #26
rush-2112

Let me see... 20 bucks....naaa... maybe 150 for the pair...who knows... That way I can get my paws on a set of yugo 24-47's...
(")_(") (")_(")
Old November 27, 2007, 10:32 PM   #27
Clemson

Harry, what you have is actually a K98 that the Yugoslavs took, ground off the German markings, and restamped. I think I have seen them referred to as 98/52. It is not an M48. It has the full length action and bolt of a K98 and was not originally built with the safety breech. The M48 and 24/47 actions were made up originally with "intermediate" length actions and safety breeching. That would be my guess anyway!

It should be a great rifle!

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old November 28, 2007, 09:37 AM   #28
Harry Bonar

98?

Sir - Clemson:
I get it! In other -words, they're a different rifle built up by them - I'd never come across one. So, evidentally the bolt is like one I saw years ago for a German target rifle that did not have that projection on the left side of the bolt-face - I understand.
Any-way you did one heck of a great job on that one. P.O. Ackley did experimentation with the "close breeching" years ago. You did it about as neat as can be done - thanks for the reply!
I've got a M48 like new - I love Mausers.
Happy holidays for you all!
Harry B.
P.S. I like the way you made that extractor cut - I just got a Grizzly mill that the table rotates and the vise and head. It's humoungus! You have a worm drive to move the ram and head. The way you did the extractor cut will work on Springfields and Enfields also - thanks for the idea. I'll have to make locating pins and holes for the vise angles.
Old November 28, 2007, 09:49 AM   #29
rush-2112

O.K. just a bit off the topic i started, but what is the general thoughts on the Smithy, or smithy type machines? I don't have room for seperate machines so I was wondering about the "all in one units", are they actually worth while or are they kinda like a leatherman, the work but the individual tools are better?

Ted
(")_(") (")_(")
Old November 28, 2007, 09:22 PM   #30
srtrax

I have not used the all in one machines, so i cant say. But i have a mill that is a horizonal and vertical with two seperate drive motors, havent got to use it yet, so that will be interesting!
Got your P.M.----I will reply Friday if that is o.k., got to get through one more day of going out of town, running on empty-I'll send P.M. Friday...
Old November 30, 2007, 11:33 AM   #31
srtrax

Pm sent............You may want to check out the Grizzly like Hary has posted, seem to be good machines for the money, i hope so i got one but have yet got to use it.
Old November 30, 2007, 12:35 PM   #32
rush-2112

All I know is that I need a big shop 320'X240' or so.... That way I can work on my guns and my motorcycle...I know they don't go together exactly but what ya gonna do.
(")_(") (")_(")