The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 25, 2007, 07:08 PM   #1
tplumeri

Ar/m16

Ok, dumb question follows (get out now if you cant stand another one!)

Was thinking about getting an M16 type, to relive some not so fond army memories. Yeah, Im a glutton for punishment.
anyway, went to gunbroker and saw all shapes,sizes and prices.
what caught my eye was all the listings for upper 1/2,lower1/2,trigger assemblies,stocks,grips etc. One guy even has a lower assembly w/o trigger mechanism holes (for a full auto build ?)
seems like i can order all components for a "custom" weapon. and assemble myself.
so, what am i missing here? can i really build my own?
thanks
tom
Old October 25, 2007, 07:15 PM   #2
CrazyIvan007

You can do anything you want if you got the cash.

Building a weapon is a good way to save some money though.

Burst, Auto Kits and other Class III items are exponentially more expensive and require you to either have a license to buy such items or purchase a tax stamp for each item you purchase. Tax stamps are typically $200, but can vary a bit depending on location.

If you are interested in building an AR rifle, there are many good sources of information here on TFL.

Some brands are not interchangeable with other brands. Uppers/Lowers are typically universal, but internal parts, such as trigger kits may not be. Bushmaster trigger kits are not compatible with Colt lowers for example. But you can strap a Bushmaster upper receiver on a Colt lower and vice-a-versa.

Best way to decide parts and specs is to decide how you are going to use it, how much you want to spend and begin questioning about brands and such considering those two things. You also want to consider where you live and any local laws regarding such a rifle. Magazine size, barrel length (typically must be minimum of 16"), etc... are things to think about.

Because they are designed to be from a high-count production line as well as to be disassembled in the field quickly for cleaning and replacing necessary parts, assembly of a military-style rifle of any kind is fairly simple and a person with a bit of will and patience should have no problems. There are hard-copy guides you can buy to help you along and teach you more than you probably need to know to put it together. There are also online guides available on some sites to take you through the process step-by-step.
Old October 25, 2007, 07:28 PM   #3
RockyMtnTactical

Yep, you sure can. I have assembled all of my AR15's from parts. Mating the upper to the barrel is the most difficult and requires the most tools, but if you buy a complete upper you're pretty much good to go.

The rest is fairly easy and requires few special tools.
Old October 25, 2007, 07:30 PM   #4
tplumeri

thanks ivan,
so which parts do i choose. ok, if not specifically, but which manufacturer makes the "best".?
also, some of the auctions dont require special lic for the parts. I'm sure I'm missing something again here. I ship everything thru an FFL so thats no problem. but what about the special taxes etc?
if anyone has built there own pls tell me what you bought to do it
thanks
tom
Old October 25, 2007, 07:33 PM   #5
tplumeri

rocky mountain,
you posted while i was busy two finger typing. will check your sight, thanks.
still interested in who bought what and where to build one
tom
Old October 25, 2007, 07:39 PM   #6
RockyMtnTactical

We could point you in the right direction as to where to order parts from if you gave us an idea as to what you want to build. An M16A2 clone? An M4 clone? Something else perhaps?
Old October 25, 2007, 07:44 PM   #7
tplumeri

Definately an m16 clone. i have fond memories of smashing my palm against the rifle to clear a jam. really, im not kidding .
Old October 25, 2007, 07:55 PM   #8
CrazyIvan007

tplumeri,

The only part required to go through FFL or be background checked for is the lower receiver. Everything else can be bought through, from, by and however you want.

Give us an idea:

1. How much do you want to spend?
2. Do you want a flat top (A3), or do you like iron sights (A2)?
Old October 25, 2007, 07:55 PM   #9
support_six

tplumeri, I'm going to answer a question I think you asked. The only part that requires the help of an FFL holder is the lower receiver – not even the parts (controls) that fit in it. The rest of the rifle, including the menacing looking parts (upper with barrel, bolt group, etc.) are easy to order through the internet.

I found one of the on-line dealers for lowers was in my state so I went to his place of business (mostly an office with a shop behind, not really a store) and bought a couple of lowers. We did the paperwork right in his office, he made the FBI call, and after paying him, I was on my way home. This prevented me from needing to have the dealer send the lower to a local FFL near me where I would have to pay a transfer fee. I did have to pay the sales tax since it was in my state, but no shipping or FFL fees. The rest of the parts for my build, I simply picked from the myriad of good companies on the web, ordered them, and waited to be delivered to my home.

See if there is a dealer in your state or hometown that sells good lowers. The rest you can do from your home!
Old October 26, 2007, 08:18 PM   #10
tplumeri

Gunbroker Listing

I like the upper here (but what do i know). if its a good deal, should i buy the other offered parts as well? want a quality weapon w/o spending 1000 bucks.
still not sure what assemblies are needed.
thanks tom

RARE M4 Custom Shop upper. This is made up of the same components that Rock River Arms uses. The same receivers can also be found on Bushmaster weapons. This is one of the highest quality uppers you can buy. Just check my feedback. Save big on this deal! You won't find this deal anywhere and a custom order will have you waiting at least a full month. Buy this one now, skip the wait and save big. The barrel is a Wilson Arms 14.5" M4 with a phantom flash hider. The barrel with phantom measures a legal 16" and is chromoly steel with a rare government profile, light under M4 handguards. Flash hider is not permanently attatched so if you want to add another attatchment you can. The bore is rifled 1 turn in 9" with the larger feedramps in the barrel. A4 “flat-top” Cardinal Forge upper Receiver is Forged and has the Military RAS numbers on the rail so you know where you last mounted your optics. This allows you to return them to the correct spot for an instant zero. Upper is new and in perfect condition. Chrome lined chamber and perfect bore for super accuracy and long life. Auction is for the upper assembly only, a brand new headspaced, matched bolt carrier assembly and charging handle will be available to the high bidder for an additional $129. If you want, the winning bidder can also add a matched forged A2 carry handle with sights for $85. I prefer Money orders
Old October 26, 2007, 09:19 PM   #11
Barber2678

tplumeri,

If you buy that upper, you better have a registered SBR or pistol lower to put it on or you will be in violation of Federal law. The upper has to have a fixed barrel length of 16" to be legal. If you want a removable flash hider, have a 16" inch barrel. If you want a shorter barrel, the FH better be fixed.

Nothing about that upper sounds "Rare" to me either. If you want to build it yourself, buy good tools and get a quality kit and milspec lower. If not, buy a good carbine; remember, you get what you pay for.

CMMG was selling some M4 clones of decent quality on their website for $550 a few days ago; I would consider one of those for a beginner. I have been thinking about getting some just to stock up on.

My 2 cents.
Old October 27, 2007, 08:16 AM   #12
lockedcj7

I wanted a K.I.S.S. carbine but I wanted something nicer than some of the "plinker" guns on the market. I wasn't brave enough to go for a full build so I searched the equipment exchange pages here and at AR15.com and found what I was looking for.

I bought a complete DPMS 16" upper with 5.56 NATO chamber, 1:7 twist, chrome-lined chamber and bore with A-1 sights, A-2 flash hider and bayonet lug. I bought an Olympic lower with A-2 butt stock from another guy and just pinned them together.

I'm very happy with the outcome and I've got a grand total of $605 invested in it, including shipping and FFL transfer fee for the lower.
Old October 27, 2007, 07:16 PM   #13
tplumeri

Barber, thanks for the rec. just ordered one of the "bargain basement " $550. guns.
figure ill beat it up and figure out what i really want for the next one.
Old October 29, 2007, 08:35 AM   #14
VUPDblue

Well, here I am again, clearing-up some mis-information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyIvan007
Burst, Auto Kits and other Class III items are exponentially more expensive and require you to either have a license to buy such items or purchase a tax stamp for each item you purchase. Tax stamps are typically $200, but can vary a bit depending on location.
First, full-auto fire control groups (FCG's) are not NFA items by themselves and they are not much different in price than semi FCG's. They are, however, illegal to own at the same time you own a semi-auto AR. It is called "constructive posession" of an unregistered machinegun.
Next, the National Firearms Act tax on machineguns is $200 period. It makes no difference where you live or what color your aunt's hairdoo is.
Now, if you want to talk about what it costs, legally, to get into an automatic M16, then I'd be happy to discuss Registered M16's, Drop In Auto Sears or Lightning Links.
Old October 29, 2007, 11:18 AM   #15
Arabia

tplumeri are being serious that you want a AR? It seems you have a pretty negative opinion of them so why do you want to buy one?
Old October 29, 2007, 08:13 PM   #16
Lifizgud

Another question

Hi gents - looks like great info here!
I am new to this sort of thing also, and being somewhat overwhelmed too, would like to know if there is any significant difference / advantage of the different manufacturers? I have seen Colt, Bushmaster, Olympic Arms, and Rock River brands at my local gunshows and was wondering if anyone prefers any of them over another and why or why not. Thanks for the great info in all the threads!
Old October 29, 2007, 09:05 PM   #17
sevensixtytwo

Does anyone know where to get good parts for an AR? I've looked at impactguns, and CMMG's website...
Old October 29, 2007, 10:18 PM   #18
CrazyIvan007

Go to www.AR15.com

There are tons of links along the top that will take you to various AR15 part's sites.
Old October 30, 2007, 08:32 PM   #19
tplumeri

arabia,
i actually loved carrying my m16 when active duty. the only negative memory is banging the palm of my hand onto cold steel to unjam it. i guess the good news is that it was easy to get shooting again. but my hand still hurts thinking about it....
Old October 30, 2007, 08:53 PM   #20
W.E.G.

Buy the first one pre-assembled unless you already have some experience building guns from a pile of parts.