The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 4, 2005, 11:15 PM   #51
joab

I just bought some of those Faraday flashlights at the flea market.

Cheapies for $3 a pieace.

LED light is not as bright as a traditional light but it lights up a darkened room well enough.

Got home at 9am and turned 2 of the lights on.
At 10pm they were still burning and not that much dimmer than the one I shook up and left off.

I dropped one on the floor and temporarily broke it so these particular lights are not sturdy enough for real use but the concept is amazing.

I'm gonna look for some good quality lights for my kits now
Old September 4, 2005, 11:34 PM   #52
ATW525

One thing I'm thinking about getting is a flare pistol... they're about $40 and if I'm stranded somewhere they're probably a better way of attracting the attention of rescue helicopter than shooting at it. I imagine one might even fit in a holster in my 5.11 vest.
Old September 5, 2005, 12:01 AM   #53
BerettaCougar

I just put a ghllie in my BOB. had the ghillie for years, hardly used it.
I think a nice ghillie is a good idea for a bob. For survival mode, when you dont want to be seen.

Orange hunting clothing is also in my BOB, for survival mode when I do want to be seen.
Old September 5, 2005, 12:31 AM   #54
Limeyfellow

One also has to consider the risks of lasik surgery on the eye. My wife works with a woman who daughter went in to have her left eye fixed and ended up losing it when the surgery messed up. Its a chance you have to take though it has gotten better over the years.
Old September 5, 2005, 02:42 AM   #55
Skunkum

Maps in BOB?

Something I have not seen suggested yet is to carry maps in your BOB. You may know where you plan to go, but alternative routes may be necessary due to blockages, etc. A good set of topo maps should be included, also, for any situations that might require you to walk or scout around.

If the bo vehicle MUST be abandoned, it has been my experience that relatively healthy children over three years of age can travel 10 miles per day walking.
Old September 5, 2005, 01:20 PM   #56
itgoesboom

Quote:
Something I have not seen suggested yet is to carry maps in your BOB. You may know where you plan to go, but alternative routes may be necessary due to blockages, etc. A good set of topo maps should be included, also, for any situations that might require you to walk or scout around.
Very good idea. Would also be good to have a compass as well. And knowing how to use it would be a good idea as well.

I like the idea of having an extra pistol set aside in the B-O-B, but the only extra pistol I have is a single action .357 revolver. On the plus side it is reliable and accurate, but quick shooting wouldn't happen.

I could put a .22lr in there, but I use that often for target shooting.

I.G.B.
Old September 5, 2005, 06:33 PM   #57
missourigunner

Preparedness,BOBs, and serious discussion

I carry im my truck at all times, what I call my "Bug out Boxes" contents consist of a huge First Aid Kit, a 4 Person Tent, Blankets, Sleeping Bags, Propane Stove and 2 Propane lanterns, Firearms and Ammo ( 1 Long Gun and 2 Handguns) with about 250 Rds of ammo for each, 2 Cases of MREs plus other Foods, misc tools, axe, shovel plus several " survival kits" I have a Ford Ranger with Camper shell.
Old September 7, 2005, 09:04 PM   #58
branham91

Bravo 25

I got a good deal on a Alice Back Pack with Frame Ebay@ $32 dollars.
Excellent idea with the siphon pump Bravo. I will just cut about 5' of hose though and not worry about the pump. What kind of food is good to pack? I am thinking 3 days tops. Those lipton rice packs seem like a good idea. Also cans of tuna?? think of carbs, protein, and fat. I am thinking Rice=carbs, Tuna=protein, Fat=peanut butter. Also honey for sugar energy. All of these items keep a long time.
But I am thinking about 3 days of survival on hand in the pack. It is easy to go overboard. For home cache I have heard of this:
50lbs of rice per person, 10 lbs of beans per person, and 25 lbs of honey per person. 6mnths of canned fruits and veges. Spices: salt, pepper, cooking oil.
Also the most important survival tool--- Your Brain---If SHTF big time then a library of books would be good. I have some Foxfire books. Does anyone know of any good survival books?
Old September 7, 2005, 09:40 PM   #59
USP45usp

Quote:
Also cans of tuna?? think of carbs, protein, and fat. I am thinking Rice=carbs, Tuna=protein, Fat=peanut butter. Also honey for sugar energy. All of these items keep a long time.
That is why the MRE is the better choice then packing all of that. The MRE was formulated to take all this into account, hence why the main course and the crackers, peanut butter, cookies/fruit is very high in all of these things.

Next time in an Army surplus, pick one up and read what it has, especially the calaries. This is not diet food but energy food.

Don't buy from them (Army surplus), they go for around $5 plus per. Go through Cheaperthandirt or some other site like that.

And, from eating so many of them while in the military, they don't taste that bad to me, some are actually great .

Wayne
Old September 8, 2005, 05:58 PM   #60
butch50

Does anyone have experience with one of the inexpensive GPS units? I have never used one, but if the sattelites stay lit up it might be a good addition to the bob. Cabellas has a couple that are in the $70 range.

Opinions?

Also, honey may be a good thing to carry - did you know that not only will it never go bad, but that it makes a good anti-septic wound dressing? That would make it a triple threat - never goes bad, has first aid uses, and is high in calories and instant energy......heavy though.....

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old September 8, 2005, 06:51 PM   #61
mgdavis

Quote:
One thing I'm thinking about getting is a flare pistol... they're about $40 and if I'm stranded somewhere they're probably a better way of attracting the attention of rescue helicopter than shooting at it.
Does anybody know if flares will fire through a 12 guage shotgun? Last time I looked they seemed pretty close...
Old September 9, 2005, 01:41 PM   #62
GeorgeF

Found two hand crank pumps that looked interesting.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...8&storeId=6970

http://www.toolprice.com/product/7518H

First looks better quality than second. But remember, these would be for getting access to gas in a place like a gas station. Even when the pumps cant get any more, there is still plenty in the very bottom of the tanks. And every gas station has pretty easy access to the tanks, just lift the lid in the ground. To attach rubber hose to these you will have to use a tightening band of some type - plenty at Home Depots and such.

If you need to get gas from abandoned or 'found' cars, just use length of rubber hose and good ol suction. Maybe buy a box of Tic Tacs with the hose.
Old September 9, 2005, 09:15 PM   #63
butch50

What is the ultimate survival food?

Rice? It has worked for a zillion years for a zillion people. Easy to store and carry and if packaged right wont go bad. You will need water to use it though.

Beans? Same thing.

Parched corn? Light but bulky, doesn't need water. High in carbs.

Pemmican? Indians and trappers used it quite well - might be a bit heavy, but certainly contains the calories and doesn't require water.

Chocolate? Don't laugh - it is compact, high in calories and energy and doesn't require water. Not sure about long term storage even if vacuum sealed though. Anyone know?

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old September 15, 2005, 10:48 PM   #64
farmall

Guess I subscribe more to the "bug out truck" school of thought. Keep 22 pistol, usually SKS and about 500 22's and 100 or so 7.62x39. Have a large camping box just inside the garage which could be loaded in minutes....tent, Coleman lantern/stove, mre's........do need to address H2O situation, though.
First aid kit, Maglite(s). Always seems to be a change or two of weather appropriate clothing in the backseat.
I use this truck for mobile repair work, so there is an ample supply of duct tape, baling wire and other jury rigging supplies which always come in handy.
We live in a small town in southeast NE, about 40 miles south of Lincoln. My plan would be to bug out to a very good friends farm about 15 miles away. These plans would have to be adjusted according to the situation. I don't fear governmental collapse/anarchy, and the biggest threat here is probably a tornado. Fortunately, with tornados, the damage is not widespread enough to require a long range bugout, but it dosent hurt to have a plan in place.
I'm curious; I dont consider myself to be a very good christian, but think I'd want to add a bible to my bug out gear. Anyone else?
Old September 16, 2005, 01:44 PM   #65
GeorgeF

Chocolate is great idea. Shame Hershey never did anything with that 'Desert Bar'. They created a limited supply of it for Desert Storm I. It doesnt melt below something like 130 degrees F. And it didnt taste bad either - they were giving away samples that year at the AUSA show in DC. Being young and goofy I found one of the bars 2 years later as I was cleaning out my closet. Unwrapped it and ate it and still tasted good!

Sadly they never made any more. Would be a great thing to have around in a BOB.
Old September 26, 2005, 09:01 PM   #66
branham91

M&M's were created as a food supplement for the army.

I would rather take honey though. You dont have to worry about it melting and you could spread it on a lot of things to make them taste better.
Old September 26, 2005, 09:09 PM   #67
migrantmigraine

"the new car has a trunk large enough for all my guns (including long) and ammo, the BOB, 5 to 10 gallons of water, two boxes of MRE's and still have room for the camp stove, propane, and three person tent."
You need more guns, if a single truck of a single car can hold them all...
Old September 26, 2005, 09:50 PM   #68
joab

Is there a non dairy substitute for chocolate.

milk chocolate does terrible things to my stomach and probably would not be a good choice for me in an emergency situation
Old September 28, 2005, 02:49 AM   #69
SAXD9

Want chocolate that can take the heat? Tootsie Rolls!

It was on John Ratzenbergers Made In America show about a week ago. They said Tootsie Rolls had been used by US troops since WWII, and that they were the only candy that could take the heat in Iraq. They said that there were units in Iraq that got cut off from supplies for several days that survived on Tootsie Rolls.
Norinco SKS/ Wolf 7.62x39 FMJ
Old September 28, 2005, 08:03 AM   #70
Superhornet

Remember only one thing if you wish to survive any major event when the feces hits the rotating electric device. All events lead to chaos..There is never a panacea from your government...you will be on your own for an undetermined amount of time. No government regardless of what or who it is can respond as soon as individuals think they can. Only you are responsible for what happens. There is much good advice from many of the postings here. Heed it. I have lived through a few hurricanes in Florida. That old Boy Scout motto still prevails----BE Prepared.....