The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 4, 2016, 10:34 PM   #26
Andy Blozinski

Jim. I sent my Rhino to the factory and they lightened it up for me, free of charge and they even paid the freight. It's still revolver long, but it's pretty easy now.
Old December 4, 2016, 10:43 PM   #27
Targa

Quote:
The heaviest I tried recently was a 6 inch 686 which was fine for about 50 rounds before I started feeling the weight being an issue.
I go shooting 4 times a month if time allows it so 50 rounds is about the maximum I care to shoot per session.

SS
Stainless your doing pretty good, I do not have tendon issues and that is about all I am good for with a 4" 686.
Old December 5, 2016, 02:05 AM   #28
BWM

SIR you can get some 110 JHP and some 125 JHP I think the 686 is the way to go or you might find a Dan Wesson 38/357 with a full under lug the older mod you can change the barrel they come 2 4 6 8 good luck
Old December 5, 2016, 05:43 AM   #29
Stainless_Steel

Thank you for all the thoughtful suggestions.

My local store has a 327 fed mag SP101 used which I will take into consideration as well. It seems like a versatile little revolver which can handle 5 different loads varying greatly in recoil.
Any downsides to these?

SS
Old December 5, 2016, 05:52 PM   #30
Targa

For the reasons you stated, I don't think that is such a bad idea myself. I am surprised someone hasn't chimed in. I don't own one but have shot everything but the .327mag, quite a bit of versatility there and the people that own them seem to think very highly of them. I guess ammo availability is the biggest issue but it is still available, they had a very small selection at Cabelas when I was there today but that is irrelevant, order on-line and you will have better costs and options anyway.
Old December 5, 2016, 06:43 PM   #31
reddog81

The 327 would be a good option. The only downside and it's a significant downside is ammo availability. You can find .38 special in any shop that sell a decent selection of ammo. .32 caliber rounds are going to be hard to find and limited in options. I'd plan on buying all my ammo online or reloading it if purchasing a .327.
Old February 18, 2017, 02:38 AM   #32
Stainless_Steel

I was wondering, while still looking for a suitable Revolver in .357, if there are any new Revolvers out that are up to par with the old stuff.
Are there any smooth trigger high quality new Revolvers out? Only thing I found so far is the new Colt Cobra, which is said to have a really smooth trigger and decent weight for a snub.

If I can't find a decent new one I think my best bet would be a Model 66.

SS
Old February 18, 2017, 03:49 AM   #33
Wendyj

I tore a Rotater cuff a few years back. Recoil wasn't what bothered me at the time but the weight of hand gun and stance and grip would make it hard for me to hold the gun up in line of sight for much more than a few rounds. I was trying to shoot old faithful 686 plus with 4 inch barrel. No recoil at all that I can tell but weight was killing me. Started using glock 26 and sig 238 which both snap a little more but the weight didn't hurt my tendons so bad. Took me about a year to get strength enough to go back to heavier guns.
Old February 18, 2017, 07:26 AM   #34
Siggy-06

Go with a S&W Model 66. It's a few ounces lighter than the 686, and can handle any .38 special with ease. Also look into maybe getting a shooter glove. They'll help absorb a little bit more recoil if you wanna shoot a few .357 mags rounds off. Lots of good aftermarket grips for the K frames for softer shooting.
Old February 18, 2017, 11:20 AM   #35
HighValleyRanch

Interesting that you list heavy guns as the 625, yet you have rotator cuff problems. Seems like you would want to go with lighter guns. Usually the rotator cuff limits holding the arms high, so the heavier the gun, the harder on the tendons.

The tendons don't come into play as much with recoil?
Proper stance and bone alignment would help.

A lighter gun with lighter loads, such as a Smith model 10 with target loads would be my recommendation. Even might go with the Ruger LCRX 3 inch model and light loads.
Old February 19, 2017, 09:16 AM   #36
tallball

Some kind of 32 revolver. 327 would be fine. You can shoot 32 S&W long out of it and it feels like a 22. 32 H&R magnum is still pretty easy. 327 is more spicy. Everything you need, from super mild to sort of wild.
Old March 2, 2017, 02:47 PM   #37
Stainless_Steel

Found something

Went for a 64 no dash until I find a 65. Super clean.

SS
Old March 2, 2017, 03:22 PM   #38
Siggy-06

Congrats Stainless on the no dash 64. Post a pic when you get a chance.
Old March 2, 2017, 10:21 PM   #39
James K
Member In Memoriam

A revolver will probably be better. An auto pistol has to have a certain level of recoil (i.e. bullet weight and velocity) to function, whereas a revolver will handle any load that will get the bullet out the barrel. As to gun weight, guns like the S&W K frame series (Model 15, Model 19) can be used for loads ranging from "powderpuff" to hot defense loads (and .357 Magnum in the Model 15), yet be light enough to handle well even with weak hands. I don't suggest the small J-frame guns; the light weight and short barrels relegate them (IMHO) to defense guns, not target or "fun" guns.

Jim
Old March 4, 2017, 12:09 PM   #40
Rogervzv

OP if I were you I would look at the S&W 686 or the 627. Shooting .38 special, which is a very good round both for the range and self-defense, these guns are very kind as regards recoil. I own both and they are a joy to shoot with .38 specials. Accurate as all get-out, soft recoil, and just plain fun.

The 625 is not bad, but you are shooting .45s. Not sure how you will feel about the recoil. You also need moon clips with this gun, which is a little extra hassle. Be sure you buy the moon clip tool or equivalent if you go this way.

If you want a semi-auto, I'd look at the CZ75BD 9mm. This is an all-steel gun that has a real following due to its excellent accuracy, simplicity, and recoil characteristics.

Good luck. BTW the S&W 617 .22LR revolver in my opinion is very fun to shoot and of course has no recoil worth mentioning.
Old March 25, 2021, 05:12 PM   #41
FTurner90

You need to exercise and strengthen your tendons.
Old March 25, 2021, 06:13 PM   #42
Alan0354

This is an old thread, so I am not going to address anyone specific. I just want to say, regardless whether you agree with me or not about NOT squeeze the gun to death in shooting, relax the hands to shoot. The more you fight the recoil, the more you feel.

I never thought it make much difference between shooting like 9mm, 38spc or even 45ACP to 22LR. You just go with the flow. I have been shooting with hands relax as much as possible for years, I was actually surprised to learn people actually hold their gun tight to shoot. Then I hear people complaining about recoil.

Shoot with hand relax works, I am not a great shooter nowhere even close, but I am definitely above average judging by looking at other people's target. I don't shoot 357 magnum that often, but it still doesn't bother me when I shot them. The only one that recoil bother me was 12 gauge shotgun.

I am not trying to change anyone's mind, BUT anyone have problem with their hands that keep them from shooting, have an open mind and give it a try if it is choosing between not shooting OR try shooting with relax hands.

On the subject of exercise the hand, it works. I am 68, all the joints started to hurt, my knees started to buckle two years ago, feet hurts, back, neck..... I stay active, I exercise a lot, about 5 hours a week doing weights and aerobics and stretching. The pain and knee buckling got a lot better. Exercise works, I can easily keep up with people in their 30s and 40s. I can run circles around my two stepsons, I out pushup my 21 years old grandson.......... Just stay active and keep exercise. I still exercise with kick boxing type, punching and kicking on the kicking bags. I even pick up stick fighting lately.

You cannot help getting old, but you don't have to be old and act old.

Peace.

Last edited by Alan0354; March 25, 2021 at 10:46 PM.
Old March 25, 2021, 06:33 PM   #43
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
Why do people have this TENDONCY to address old threads?
Ha HA!
Old March 25, 2021, 06:54 PM   #44
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTurner90 View Post
Advice from a medical doctor?
Old March 25, 2021, 07:54 PM   #45
Alan0354

Exercise works. I am living proof, I used to go to a hard core gym until the pandemic. There were plenty of old people even into the 80s. You see them walking around doing weights, it's just so normal..............Until I went on a cruise, people even in my age using cane, walker and even wheelchairs!!! They were lazy, had to take the elevator to go up or down one floor!!! I ran up 7 floors double steps non stop. One person said "show off"!!!

It's all on you, you cannot depend on your kids, they have their own life and family, you are really on your own. If you cannot be independent, you end up in senior homes.

My wife is 75, she still go to the gym 3 times a week until the close down last year. since the pandemic, she really have trouble, body deteriorate a lot. Now that the gym is open and we got our 2nd covid shots last week, she can't wait to go back to the gym. She still walks better than her older son that is 57 years old.

In my 30s, I was into martial arts and injured my back, at one time, I couldn't even stand for 2 minutes without tingling going down my legs to the toe. I worked my way back, I am still punching and kicking heavy bags as aerobic exercise. The regiments that helped me is weight training. exercise works.

BUT it is important if you are out of shape, start slow, have a trainer to start you up and monitor you.

Last edited by Alan0354; March 25, 2021 at 08:00 PM.
Old March 25, 2021, 09:39 PM   #46
Urbanrecon

Alan, so you feel confident in assuming you know why those folks on the ocean cruise trip you took had their various disabilities?

They were weak and unwilling to take care of themselves, right?

Must be nice. I wish I had your intuition.
Old March 25, 2021, 10:36 PM   #47
Alan0354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanrecon View Post
Alan, so you feel confident in assuming you know why those folks on the ocean cruise trip you took had their various disabilities?

They were weak and unwilling to take care of themselves, right?

Must be nice. I wish I had your intuition.
I took many cruses like two or three times a year for many years( not last year, we had to cancel because of covid). The picture is the same, just different people. Don't take my word, take a cruise. People in Carnival are younger, but try Princess cruise or others, you'll see.

Two years ago, I started to have problem with my knees and foot, I started to have problem going down the stairs. I work out, but more concentrate on the upper body as a lot of people do. My knees started to buckle when I walk down the stairs. This is not good!!! I started concentrate on my lower body. I start doing squat( no weights), it was so hard to go down. I started making squat as part of my daily regiment, just go low to within comfort, but slowly go lower and lower until I can go fully down. I practice everyday after shower, squeegee the wall and the shower door and squat all the way down 10 times or so a day. I also holding dumbbells and wear weighted jacket totaling 120lbs and do squats 3 sets of 10 once a week as exercise. Nothing to write home about, but just keep active.

Then I started going up and down the stairs to 2nd floor, going 2 steps per step when going up, repeat 14 times, once a week, stretching the knees and other exercise. The foot pain and knee buckle are gone now.

I don't have a medical degree, I cannot suggest anyone to do anything. I can only talk about my experience and my journey of getting old, overcome pain and injuries.

Last edited by Alan0354; March 25, 2021 at 10:48 PM.
Old March 25, 2021, 10:56 PM   #48
Urbanrecon

Wow Alan, you sound like a seventy year old Bruce Lee! I bet when you get angry enough you can almost crush a grape!
Old March 25, 2021, 11:16 PM   #49
Alan0354

Well, you can make fun of it, it's not my loss. I know there are a lot of old people here, I thought I share my experience.

Peace.
Old March 26, 2021, 12:07 AM   #50
JohnKSa
Staff

Begone undead thread!