The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 30, 2014, 12:42 PM   #1
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Perhaps someone can answer my question on B/P making.

Here is something I come across quite often happening:
Why is it some fellows Corn their powder and prefer to shoot corn'ed in their (Rifle.)
The typical historic B/P recipe's calls for dampened green meal powder simply being screened to proper kernel size & dried for use in rife applications.

From what I know on the subject.
Corn'ed powder is actually slower burning than screened. So just what is the advantage then? (screened verses corn'ed in rifle use) thanks
Old May 30, 2014, 02:00 PM   #2
noelf2

I keep changing my response.

Corning makes the finished product more dense so you can fit more in a smaller space to optimize power. Seems to me that corning wouldn't be worth messing with for rifle powder since you can just use more of the less dense screened (only) powder and get the same results.

Last edited by noelf2; May 30, 2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old May 30, 2014, 05:03 PM   #3
Hawg

Most of the guys I've seen talking about it on various bp forums say it burns cleaner and that uncorned powder is some filthy stuff but then they do experiment with different types of charcoal.
Old May 31, 2014, 08:50 AM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

"why some others prefer to use corn (or puck) powder in their rifles."

I did a little poking around on the web. And found a acceptable answer to my question. Although noelf2 & Hawg Haggen were spot on. This also applys:

H/made Corned powder can be measured by volume like store bought B/powder is. Screened powders method of measurement is by scale weight.

For quite some time I didn't think any H/Made powder was capable of being measured by volume period. But apparently when it comes to it being corned properly to preferred F-size its a whole different story.
Old June 3, 2014, 05:12 AM   #5
darkgael

bp

Green powder (polverone) burns way dirtier than corned powder.
Pete