The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 13, 2009, 04:16 PM   #51
res45

This is what I use for my media separator $4 at Harbor Freight store.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=98415
Old May 14, 2009, 05:32 AM   #52
Xwrench3

i have both here. but in my 3 years or tumbling, i have been using walnut shells with frankford arsenal polish, and nu-finish car wax in it. the cases come out nice and bright. one of these days, i am going to try tumbling some loaded ammo in the corn cob media.
Old May 14, 2009, 01:00 PM   #53
Rembrandt

For my Dillon CV2001 I use walnut and cob mixture....works great.

Just got some of the Ceramic Porcelain media for the RCBS Sidewinder....will let you know how it works.

Old May 31, 2009, 05:16 PM   #54
nattie

Pet Supplies Plus has corn cob media, 40 cents a pound-bulk. Just scoop as much as you want into the bag,they have a scale right there. they also have bagged walnut!
Old May 31, 2009, 05:21 PM   #55
snuffy

Quote:
Pet Supplies Plus has corn cob media, 40 cents a pound-bulk. Just scoop as much as you want into the bag,they have a scale right there. they also have bagged walnut!
Ya, but it's so big you can only use it for big handgun cases from 40 on up, ask me how I know!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 1, 2009, 03:38 AM   #56
nattie

Ya, you are right.works great for 44mag and 45long colt! the stuff i got would be no problem in any of the 30 caliber rounds either.
Old June 1, 2009, 04:44 AM   #57
M&P40

Frankford arsenal corncob media and a dab of Nu finish. If I find a lot of weathered brass from the range then 2 dabs.
Old June 1, 2009, 04:47 AM   #58
kiwi56

Media

I use walnut but I mix about 1/4 of a can of Brasso metal polish in it which usually forms lumps in the media so I let them dry for a few days then just break the lumps up in my hands. The cases not only come out clean but also polished. I also made up some spindles to go in the battery drill and these spndle have a little rubber tapered boot which fits into the case neck so I give them a quick spin on the battery drill holding a cloth in my hand to give them a last minute polish.

Last edited by kiwi56; June 3, 2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old June 1, 2009, 06:51 AM   #59
fatboy02

I thought you guys with the dryer sheets were crazy..........

well call me crazy too. I have been using the dryer sheets for about the last 10 loads and my media seems a lot cleaner and even seems to be performing better longer. The dryer sheets sure do come out dirty
Old June 2, 2009, 05:23 PM   #60
Pocketfisherman

I use Corn Cob with the addition of two cap fulls of Hopps number 9 cleaning Solvent. DON'T USE COPPER BORE SOLVENT, it will eat the copper in the brass alloy. Also add a squirt of Midway brass case cleaner/Polish. Let the tumbler run for 3 minutes after you add the cleaners before putting the brass in to keep clumping to a minimum.
Old June 2, 2009, 08:06 PM   #61
aerod1

Lizard Litter and a couple of cap fulls of NuFinish.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old June 3, 2009, 11:42 AM   #62
Dan The Sig Man

Well I am now using Walnut media and Yes I too have jumped the Dryer Sheet Bandwagon and it is working wonders on keeping my Media nice and clean. I swap out my sheets every 2 loads and it has worked perfectly so far.
Old June 6, 2009, 07:00 AM   #63
N.H. Yankee

What I put in my tumbler, EMPTY CASINGS!! Someone had to say it, I actually clean my cases with 1 cup vinegar, 5 drops dish washing liquid and 4 cups warm water. I then (put the lime in the coconut and shake it all up) I think maybe only us geezers may catch that phrase.

I shake it up in a tuperware container ( my wife wonders why our tupperware smells of vinegar, I hate it when she accuses me of doing something stupid ) I then rinse 3 times and dry in the oven at 250 degrees for about 20 minutes or until dry. They come out nice and clean, then I put them in my tumbler for about 30 minutes with corncob media.

If you don't own a tumbler or vibrating case cleaner the vinegar method works great also. Just make sure they are rinsed well, yup my wifes collander works great for that too! I just wish she'd stop using my cherished pistols as HAMMERS! Maybe she's trying to tell me something?
Old June 6, 2009, 09:45 AM   #64
snuffy

Quote:
I shake it up in a tuperware container ( my wife wonders why our tupperware smells of vinegar, I hate it when she accuses me of doing something stupid ) I then rinse 3 times and dry in the oven at 250 degrees for about 20 minutes or until dry. They come out nice and clean, then I put them in my tumbler for about 30 minutes with corncob media.

If you don't own a tumbler or vibrating case cleaner the vinegar method works great also. Just make sure they are rinsed well, yup my wifes colander works great for that too! I just wish she'd stop using my cherished pistols as HAMMERS! Maybe she's trying to tell me something?
You are joking right?! If not, I hope nobody has eaten any food processed with those kitchen utensils. You can't help but get some of the lead styphonate from the primer residue on those plastic utensils. ANYTHING that ever touches anything used for reloading should be relegated to only be used for reloading from then on. The possibility of contaminating with lead or especially the salts of lead,(styphonate), is a very real concern.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 6, 2009, 07:13 PM   #65
tpareloader

60/40 corn cob : walnut , squirt of polish (one shot) and about 4 hours in the tumbler. Only down side is the corn cob gets stuck in the primer pockets.
Old June 7, 2009, 10:27 AM   #66
N.H. Yankee

Yeah only joking, I use the sole piece's of tuperware and collander I bought for doing just this.
Old June 9, 2009, 08:11 AM   #67
SQUAREKNOT

Nu finish car POLISH-WOW

Simplist and least expensive is any cheap auto polish (not a liquid car wax, a POLISH!) such as Nu-Finish is any good as it gets.
THE BRASS ACTUALLY HURTS YOUR EYES TO LOOK AT IT!