The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 13, 2015, 02:24 PM   #1
Sheriff Gotcha

Aimpoint's good for Tavor and AR?

I've had my Tavor for quite some time now and I am long overdue for an optic for it. It is my first rifle so I have nothing else to work with here and I have no idea what the terminology used means etc etc.

I want an optic that I think looks good and is also functional for my purposes. My regular range only goes out to 30 yards so I don't need anything that can be accurate up to a mile. $450 is about my max amount I have to spend. Are these two choices reasonable?

First: (the one I like better out of the two aesthetically as I do not know the difference functionally)

Aimpoint PRO Red Dot Sight 30mm Tube 1x 2 MOA Dot with Picatinny-Style Mount Matte

Second:
Aimpoint Carbine Optic Red Dot Sight 2 MOA Dot Matte

These are the two I was looking at and hoping either would be good for both my Tavor and any future AR styled rifles I plan on buying.

I'd gladly take any other suggestions as well. This is my first time actively seeking an optic.
Old April 13, 2015, 03:12 PM   #2
suncoastarmory

You might take a look at the offerings from Eotech. I find them a bit easier to use both eyes open. Maybe its just my eyes.
Old April 13, 2015, 05:35 PM   #3
Sharkbite

I like the reticle pattern of the Eo-tech better (esp for close range work). The Aimpoint PRO cant be beat for battery life though.

Basically a toss up. Either one will be a great addition to that rifle
Old April 13, 2015, 09:30 PM   #4
Glockstar .40

Aimpoint pro is great! I have one on an AR. Haven't turned it off yet and it just keeps goin. I also have a tavor and the PRO looks descent on it but I feel that it's a bit bulky for the tavor so I'm ordering a aimpoint T-1 micro for it this weekend.

Oh btw if your lookin to have an absolute co witness with the tavor then get a mount with a lower 1/3 co witness on an AR.

Also due to the trough in the middle of the rail on the tavor some mounts aren't recommended for it ( larue mount for example). I'm going with a daniel defense mount with my T-1.

Good luck! you got a great gun. I love my tavor
Old April 15, 2015, 02:05 PM   #5
Madball6

1 vote for the Eotech, just bought my tavor, tried several optics out in the store, the Eotech XPS (better battery than the 512, 600 hours) seemed to fit my sight picture better. Not sure if that made sense, it just generally felt like the right optic to have on the Tavor compared to many of the others they had there, including the Aimpoint. YMMV

-Madball