The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 3, 2009, 07:07 PM   #1
Throne Raider

Unintended Consequences

New guy here with a twist to throw into the discussion. I'm recently retired LE who made a few enemies on the job and CC for, among other reasons, specific threats on my life. I carry a Glock 27 at all times. Here's the twist. I often travel with wife and two daughters, all of whom know I carry and are ALL reasonably competent with MY Glock in case I become incapacitated and they need help! How many on here are depending solely on themselves to handle the emergency? If you engage and possibly promote a further threat to yourself, you're also promoting that threat on your loved ones. You better make damn sure that they are okay with this, selfish not to think otherwise, and if so, can they protect themselves if you're down? Food for thought. Involving yourself in a scenario where you'd be a better witness than a participant is something to consider.

Along the same vein, if my rotweiler security fails me at home, I have made sure that my wife and kids know the location of stash guns and how to use them. So this 3rd of July, in celebration of our great country's roots, my daughters and I spent time on our private range (I'm lucky and get to caretake 300 acres adjacent to me) going through my three Smiths, a Sig, a Glock and last but not least, my saddle gun 30-30, to make sure they're "qualified" for the quarter.

I tend to be long winded, forgive me, but how many on here involve their loved ones in a "family that trains together" lives to vote in another election.

Sincerely,

Throne Raider
Old July 3, 2009, 10:51 PM   #2
CWPinSC

My wife and I are both perfectly capable of and willing to back the other up if it becomes necessary.
Old July 3, 2009, 11:16 PM   #3
Rich Miranda

TR, I can appreciate your thoughts and logic.

However, all of our home lives and spouse/significant others are unique. My wife, the wonderful gift from God that she is, would never willingly train to use a gun. I have tried (trust me!) to convince her that it's for her own good, but she just isn't interested.

So, I take a different approach. I do anything and everything else I can to keep her safe(r). Essentially this boils down to me addressing the threat while she flees with the children and gets police assistance. This may not be the best approach, but it is what must be for us.

But do I wish I could see my wife handle a firearm willingly and competently? Of course.
Old July 3, 2009, 11:32 PM   #4
Wildalaska

Quote:
However, all of our home lives and spouse/significant others are unique.
How true. SWMBO, with the genetics of a samurai and the inscrutability of the modern japanese woman, can maim with just a lingering look...while just these evening I was incapacitated after I took my socks off in her presence after a long sweaty day...the pain was tremendous...

I have no fear of what she would do in a firefight,...if I was down, she would just have to give the look with one of those Mifuni Toshiro bellows they learn in elementary school to take down the attacker faster than a .44mag CNS shot...

She laughs at the .25 I bought her....

WildigotapermittomarryherAlaska TM
Old July 3, 2009, 11:47 PM   #5
Doc Intrepid

My wife hates guns.

But she shoots them better than I do.

It really isn't fair at all.
Old July 4, 2009, 09:25 AM   #6
CWPinSC

Quote:
So, I take a different approach. I do anything and everything else I can to keep her safe(r). Essentially this boils down to me addressing the threat while she flees with the children and gets police assistance. This may not be the best approach, but it is what must be for us.
Actually, if your SO won't shoot or carry, that's a very good approach. Have a code word, like "Cover!" that tells her the mess is hitting the fan. At that word, she grabs the kids (if any) and heads for the deep forest with her cell phone, as you describe, while you confront the threat. Your body language and visible weapon will draw attention to you, and away from them.
Old July 4, 2009, 02:26 PM   #7
fastbolt

Welcome to retirement.

I'm also rather recently retired, although I was prevailed upon to still lend a hand in a couple of aspects for a bit.

Yep, been there and had the threats. Some were from folks who were likely never going to be out-of-custody again, but who obviously had friends and family members themselves.

The first time you're pulled aside by someone higher up the ranks and informed that a verified threat against you has been received, and that you should take suitable precautions, it can make you realize that your family didn't bargain for this sort of thing. There you go, though ...

As previously mentioned, each and every partnership can be unique in many aspects, including whether or not your partner is interested in firearms or willing to use them even in extreme situations.

For better or worse.

You take it into consideration and work around it as necessary.

Just like with everything else.
Old July 4, 2009, 08:02 PM   #8
Deaf Smith

My wife knows how to shoot and where the weapons are stashed. I only wish she would get back into the martial arts (she hated the bruises she got sparring.)

On a similar topic, I hope everyone here who keeps guns for some of the family to use carries the same kind of gun! Nothing is worse than to train everyone to fire a revolver or Glock or 1911 and then some of the weapons do not work the way everyone has trained.

If you pack a Glock, the house guns should either be Glocks, same applies to if they are revolvers. At least all the house weapons should be just 'point-and-click' so that everyone is on the same page.
Old July 5, 2009, 12:04 AM   #9
chadwimc

My wife has her concealed carry permit and training. She favors a 642. She is a black belt in Okinawan karate. My daughter doesn't particularly care for guns, but is competent to use 'em. My son is on his own, but is quite capable of holding his own.

I kid with a co-worker about my daughter. He saw this pic of my girl looking for coyotes. I tell him "maybe the cops can get there in time to save the bad guy"...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jez nad raven.jpg (262.1 KB, 75 views)
Old July 5, 2009, 02:14 AM   #10
Old Wanderer

Well most of you are luck to have such good wife. Mine however, since she was raised in Thailand, never saw a gun, (except for the police), and generally does not like to touch them...

Last year when we were in Thailand, she was sitting around telling a bunch of her village people all about how I can shoot, and she never worries about anything when she is with me.

I have tried to convince her I do not walk on water, I can get hurt, but alas to no avail.

A fried of mine has a Thai wife that likes to shoot, we are going out to the range together and maybe she will finally try and like it.
Old July 5, 2009, 09:11 AM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Only half joking....
I pity the poor fool who has to engage in physical combat with my wife...
I am doing them a service of compassion and humanity to shoot their lights out! While ya'll may think I am crazy as a loon... I am the rational one!

Yes I am pretty much the one relied on for SD/HD needs. Junior is 19 and pretty stout but in a situation where he wasn't alone, he would look my way for the nod I am sure... My daughter is no little pushover either... 17 and no where near frail. I reckon those rear choke holds dealt out by "bubbie" and dad toughened her up pretty good. Like PAX taught me to realize... my gals are very much the "Cornered Cat" mentality complete with hissing slobber!
Brent