The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 31, 2018, 10:54 PM   #1
dvdcrr

Savage 14 stock swap

Hi folks,
I am wanting to swap out a deluxe walnut Savage 14 American Classic stock for a synthetic stock. This is a sporter barrel contour, Savage factory detachable box mag, and bottom bolt release. The rifle was made back around 2010. I want to go synthetic for hard hunting use.
What would be some options for this swap out?
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old November 1, 2018, 06:09 AM   #2
Mobuck

Lots of synthetic take off stocks on the auction sites.
Some people think the "tupperware" stocks compromise accuracy but I don't feel it makes that much diff for hunting use. Just don't change the support forces too much between range zero and in field use. (don't clamp the fore end in a vise for sight in and then shoot 400 yards off the top of a fence post)
Old November 1, 2018, 11:25 AM   #3
godale

The 14 and 114 stocks were the nicest ones savage made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 1, 2018, 12:46 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

What's your budget? Hogue detachable box mag, hinged floor plate, short action, standard barrel, pillar bedded, stocks start at roughly $160. Direct from Hogue.
https://www.hogueinc.com/stocks/savage
A lot will depend on the chambering. A synthetic stock also means a reduction in weight with a corresponding increase in felt recoil. That really only matters when you sight in and practice though.
Hard hunting means different things too. 'Wet' being the hardest.
Old November 1, 2018, 03:07 PM   #5
dvdcrr

HS says no go. I see a lot of heavy barrel stocks not many sporter barrel stocks.
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old November 1, 2018, 05:31 PM   #6
dvdcrr

whats up with the new Savage 110 accufut models. Why are the short a tion calibers being included in the 110 series. Is Savage using long actions and spacers again.
Old November 1, 2018, 07:58 PM   #7
RC20

You can go with a Boyds Laminated stock (yes its a synthetic and yes they hold up as well or better than glass or fibreglass )

A bit over $100, fit is fantastic (I have two). I like the Featherweight Thumb hole .

It makes for a nice looking rifle and you have a wide range of colors and finishes to choose from (the high gloss finish is nice but you pay extra for it)
Old November 1, 2018, 08:10 PM   #8
jmr40

Plywood stocks are HEAVY, ugly and don't hold up to harsh use as well as cheap plastic.

Call Savage. I know Ruger, Remington and others will sell replacement stocks for most of their rifles. I'd think Savage would too. It has been a while, but I've purchased them and paid from $50-$100. It would probably be $100+ by now, but you won't find an aftermarket stock any cheaper.

If you don't want to hang on to the stock you have it'd bring $100-$200 used.

Winston Churchill
Old November 5, 2018, 09:19 AM   #9
dvdcrr

I was hoping to do something like a HS or Bell Varlson stock. But as far as I can tell those stocks are all for Varmint rifles, not sporter barrels.
I am wondering if the new accufit stocks would fit a 14 classic, bottom bolt release.
Old November 5, 2018, 06:37 PM   #10
dvdcrr

Does anybody know if a new accufit stock will fit a savage 14 / 16 dbm rifle that is a few years old?
Old November 6, 2018, 12:06 AM   #11
taylorce1

Yes, as long as you have the 4.40" action screws spacing of the centerfeed rifles. Finding sporter stocks for Savage short actions is a PITA to say the least. Bell and Carlson quit making them when Savage changed the action screw spacing for the third time to 4.40" as non sporter barrel rifle stocks weren't selling as well as the varmint and heavy barrels.

Stockade, McMillan, and MPI are probably your best bets for a quality synthetic stock for a Savage.
Old November 7, 2018, 07:58 PM   #12
dvdcrr

If you had two complete rifles, and doing a stock swap would it be best to just swap barreled actions or do wholesale swap of barreled action, and bottom metal, screws?
Old November 9, 2018, 03:34 PM   #13
taylorce1

I'd pay for a McMillan, Stockade or MPI stock before I bought another Savage rifle just to swap stocks. The 14 models usually have gloss bluing so I'd swap everything over as standard 10/110 models use a matte bluing.
Old November 10, 2018, 08:50 AM   #14
bedlamite

I have a Savage plastic stock that I'd be willing to part with. 4.4", bottom bolt release, detachable mag. It's a take off from my savage 11. It's got a Krylon camo paint job, with flat green/brown background and black tree bark stencil. Not sure how much it's worth, If you want pics send me a pm with your email and I'll send them. I don't have any pics online since photobucket started charging a while back.