The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 5, 2011, 03:08 AM   #1
Magog

I got an Eotech clone.

552 Style Clone Holographic Sight HoloSight With Red and Green illumination

For 75 bucks. The selling point to me was I, read it is not a holographic sight, but a red dot made to look like one.

So yeah it doesn't have night vision capabilities, but for the money it is a damn solid little red dot for my Colt M16 22 rifle.

Anyone else had any experience with these red dots, and what do you think of them?

For the 400 bucks it saves me, that is 5,000 rounds of Hollow point 22 ammo I can stash away.
Old March 5, 2011, 06:57 AM   #2
gearhounds

How good a copy is it? I have heard that they run the gamut from terrible to not too bad. I did a little research when these first appeared and these points seemed to be the most common laments. Obviously, for the money, you can't expect it to be a true laser projection sight, but an LED reflection, which shows the light when seen from the front. Does the aiming point fade out when get near the edge of the glass? Does it ghost, or show your reflection when sighting in daylight? Is the dot bright enough in daylight? Check to make sure both windage and elevation adjust, as that seems to be the biggest complaint. If it is like the one I have seen (there are several copies out there, including an XPS model), physically they appear to be good clones, but that's where it stops. Is your's parallax corrected, in other words, if you set it down while turned on, line up the reticle on a target, and then move you head around behind it, does the target dot stay right on top of the same exact spot? And lastly, can it hold a zero after repeated shooting? I would use this on a gun for plinking, but I wouldn't trust my life to it.
Old March 5, 2011, 03:01 PM   #3
Magog

I dont know yet I have to wait for shipping, March 10-15th.

This unit is form GRG MFG and got very high marks on Amazon. A guy name John form GRG posted a review explaining all the bad reviews are form others companies, like you said there are many clones out there.

Reading the bad ones, they seem really fake and made up to me. I got the idea they are written by competitors.

The good reviews seem to be written by real people, and even the 3 stars reviews just seem to complain that the windage and elevation screws are set backwards, other then that no big deal. And the 5,4,3 star reviews far out number the bad reviews on Amazon.

It is impossible to get good intel on how these units handle the rain. I think the common standard red dot handles rain just fine, so these should as well. There is no reason to assume just because it is a red dot dressed in an Eotech body casing does not mean it will fail in the rain...
Old March 5, 2011, 03:14 PM   #4
gearhounds

Good luck!
Old March 6, 2011, 02:49 PM   #5
JerseyDrez

It'll probably work for a .22, but anything else with substantial recoil will probably throw it off. I would be careful with it, in terms of dropping it or allowing it to get wet. I'm sure it's not durable.

$400 for 5,000rds of .22? Where are you buying this...your LGS? If you buy Federal 525rd bulk packs, you can get 5,000rds for under $200.

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "
Old March 8, 2011, 09:28 AM   #6
output

I am not sure which clone you purchased. I have a friend that purchased one for his son’s plinking S&W 15-22 and it held up for about a month. I cannot recall which brand or model he purchased but I know after his son dropped his rifle a few times the sight would not hold its zero. I’m not saying that will or will not happen to yours though. I am just sharing what happened to his.

In the realm of optics, I have learned that in most cases…you get what you pay for. If I were spending the money I would invest in the real deal. You can buy a used higher end optic (like an EOTech) for much less than it would cost new. I just picked up a EXPS 2 for $350.00 on another board and sold my older 522 for $250.00 that was still as good as new. I just wanted something smaller…

Best of luck! Keep up posted if you don't mind.
Old March 9, 2011, 08:58 PM   #7
Magog

Bulk ammo

http://www.bulkammo.com/rimfire/bulk...jacket_type=83

500 per brick at 25 bucks 10 bricks 250

or Blazer is real good

5000 for 195 bucks. Just not hollow point.

http://www.bulkammo.com/bulk-22-lr-a...cciblazer-5000

I want hollow points because it would be the best anti person 22lr I could get.
Old March 10, 2011, 08:07 PM   #8
Magog

Well I got it today. It seems like very good quality to me. It mounted on my rifle with no problem, the only issue is it is a little dim looking though it, it is not like looking though class, but I never had a red dot before.

The reticule is very clear, and I do not notice the ghosting issue.

Have not taken it out to the range yet, but I got the dot over the front sight post just fine.

I emailed GRG through Amazon and asked about the rain issue, they said it should be fine. The buttons seem fine as well.

All and all it is a nice little red dot.
Old March 11, 2011, 12:25 AM   #9
Magog

Yeah, I been playing around with this all day, and now even with the lights on it is very hard to see though it. So I think the back up iron sights would be useless and I would have to rip this off my rifle if the battery failed.

I really wanted to like this sight, but it is too dim, I can see the reticule just find, it is like looking though dark sunglasses.

I am going to have to send it back.
Old March 11, 2011, 01:58 AM   #10
Venom1956

ack. Clones of real sights are usually marketed at the Airsoft guys because their guns don't need to stand up to the punishment of a actual weapon... For the money you'd be better getting a cheaper RDS like Tasco BSA or whatever... It might not Look like a EoTech but it'll work. Barskas aren't too terrible either if your looking to save some cash.

Sorry you had to find out the hard way. I have a few friends that are airsoft junkies... So you have no idea how many times i've heard the word REPLICA.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 11, 2011, 08:19 AM   #11
gearhounds

There are a number of quality red dots on the market that won't break you. If you want one that is tacticool, buy the Eotech for the extra cash and be done with it. There are others that are nice, but make sure to do a google search for reviews for any issues. If you are considering a Trijicon, avoid older models; I called to inquire about one recently, and was told (by Trijicon) that it was no longer replaceing tritium in that model due to the cost to do so.
Old March 11, 2011, 06:52 PM   #12
Magog

I picked up a Barska at Big 5 for 50 bucks. I see though just fine. I like the open relex style.
Old March 13, 2011, 03:29 PM   #13
Father Time

Quote:
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice.....
For the money you've spent on those two garbage red dots you could have bought a Bushnell TRS-25, Or a Primary Arms aimpoint clone, Or a Vortex.

They are not sights I would take to War but they won't break from your .22's recoil like that Barska will.:barf:

I know the .22 isn't a fighting rifle and they training or "toy" rifles. But even so, there is no reason to cheap out on the optics.
If your seriouse about training then you need a optic that can stand up to the training.

P.S. Don't count on those .22 hollow point rounds for "anti person" applications