The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old July 29, 2009, 10:03 AM   #1
M14MSgt

adding realism

Not sure where this post belonged...but had a question.

I want to add some "realism" to some WW2 road signs for a living history display. My goal is to take them out to my local firing range and put a couple
.30-06 rounds through them so they look a bit "war-torn". Anyone think they will shatter into a few hundred pieces? I only want a couple bullet holes...not splintered wood.
Old July 30, 2009, 04:05 PM   #2
PhilA

Depends on what kind of wood you've made them from, really. Softer woods like pine will splinter worse than harder woods like oak or maple.

I'm thinking to be safe, you follow the same technique you would if you were drilling holes where you don't want splinters at the exit holes. Clamp the signs tightly to another piece of wood, then shoot your holes in it that way. The pressure between the two boards will minimize the size of your exit holes on the signs.

As always, do some tests with scrap wood first (the same wood you make your signs from).

Good luck.
Old July 31, 2009, 06:53 AM   #3
Jim243

Just a suggestion, an electric drill is more controllable.
Old July 31, 2009, 07:34 PM   #4
PhilA

Yeah, but then it would LOOK like a drill made the holes, destroying the authentic look he's going for.