The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 7, 2017, 01:32 PM   #1
TruthTellers

New mini revolver from Inter Ordanance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlX-nMEM36A&t=150s

If I'm hearing it right, it sounds like these will be available in March and the price for them is going to be something around $230.

For what is a .22 LR only revolver that's the size it is, and being a swing out cylinder, I think these will be well worth $230, so long as they actually work.
Old February 7, 2017, 01:36 PM   #2
KennyFSU

Based on my experience with IO AKs, NO THANKS!

Stick with NAA for quality mini-revolvers (they even have a cylinder swing-out model).

-Boris the Blade, on guns.
Old February 7, 2017, 01:40 PM   #3
TruthTellers

Yeah, but the NAA is built around the .22 Magnum, which I don't care for in such a short barrel. I'll keep an eye on this and see what the thoughts are on people who've shot them.

I've seen a lot of people saying the same thing you said about their long guns, but a mini revolver is pretty simple to make, so I think it'd be hard for someone to muck it up. We'll see tho.
Old February 7, 2017, 07:56 PM   #4
heyjoe

Quote:
TruthTellers Yeah, but the NAA is built around the .22 Magnum, which I don't care for in such a short barrel. I'll keep an eye on this and see what the thoughts are on people who've shot them.
There are NAA long rifle and 22 short mini revolvers built around the respective lengths of those two rounds.
Old February 7, 2017, 09:04 PM   #5
Screwball

NAA guns are built to last... sorry, but that is what I'll recommend until those get a similar track record.
Old February 7, 2017, 10:32 PM   #6
Armybrat

Yep, the NAA Mini Sidewinder is a cool little .22 magnum. My brother's:

Old February 8, 2017, 12:03 AM   #7
Cheapshooter

NAA does have non-swingout cylinder modles in short, and long rifle sized accordingly. You can always give up a little convenience fkr size, and quality in these little novelty revolvers.
If you are using one of these tiny rimfire revolvers for SD, and need a faster reload you've really gotten yourself in the wrong place, with the wrong gun!
But for novelty range plinkers, tgey are great fun.
When I went tiny, I went all the way with a NAA 22 short Mini Revolver.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 8, 2017, 01:37 AM   #8
kozak6

InterOrdnance has yet to demonstrate they can make a gun worth owning.

Import, sure. Actually manufacture? No.
Old February 8, 2017, 01:40 AM   #9
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjoe
There are NAA long rifle and 22 short mini revolvers built around the respective lengths of those two rounds.
Yes, but they do not have the swing out cylinder.
Old February 8, 2017, 09:09 AM   #10
Skans

It looks crudely made from the video - I too prefer the NAA's.
Old February 8, 2017, 10:30 AM   #11
Glenn E. Meyer

The swing out cylinder is a good idea as reloading a standard NAA mini is a pain. However, thinking it is a benefit for a gun fight - probably not.
Old February 8, 2017, 12:24 PM   #12
TruthTellers

Quote:
It looks crudely made from the video - I too prefer the NAA's.
It's a prototype made for the SHOT show and not indicative of the final product.
Old February 8, 2017, 12:27 PM   #13
Lohman446

I really think the loading issues of the NAA mini are overstated. After a few dozen times the only thing one has to worry about is getting complacent and accidentally putting their finger / hand in front of the barrel when reinstalling the pin.
Old February 8, 2017, 12:56 PM   #14
Cheapshooter

Quote:
It's a prototype made for the SHOT show and not indicative of the final product.
Why would somebody bring a half finished piece of crap to the premiere show of the industry? If I wanted to introduce a new product to potential new buyers it would be the finest example I could build.
Maybe that in itself says enough about I.O. to stay away!
Old February 8, 2017, 02:35 PM   #15
TruthTellers

^ Some say it's half a piece of crap, others would say it's half a piece of quality.

Unlike others, I'm not going to write off a new product that's yet to be formally finished and ready for sale from a company because others have had issues with other products they manufacture. I'm also not going to pass judgement on the state of what they showed at SHOT because things could change between then and the finished product.

I like the concept enough to be neutral and see what the results will be when the mini revolvers come out.
Old February 8, 2017, 11:46 PM   #16
heyjoe

i find it much faster to swap cylinders on an NAA mini revolver than to reload the sidewinder.
Old February 9, 2017, 06:17 AM   #17
peggysue

They need to come out with the Ranger 2
Old February 9, 2017, 08:42 AM   #18
Skans

Quote:
Look, I can only evaluate what I see. The gun pictured looks crudely finished. I especially don't like the screw in the middle of the frame.

In my opinion, single-action mini-revolvers are meant to be eye-candy more than a practical self-defense weapon. So, if someone makes one of these, I'd expect it to be sweet-tasting to my eyes, or really unique for me to even consider purchasing one.
Old February 9, 2017, 08:54 AM   #19
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggysue View Post
They need to come out with the Ranger 2

I picked up the Sidewinder because it was a unique small revolver with a swing out cylinder.

No interest in another NAA pistol... unless they do a top break. Wouldn't be any hesitation.
Old February 9, 2017, 08:57 AM   #20
Lohman446

Quote:
I picked up the Sidewinder because it was a unique small revolver with a swing out cylinder.

No interest in another NAA pistol... unless they do a top break. Wouldn't be any hesitation.
The Ranger was a VERY limited production of top-breaks. Basically a test run. My understanding is that the time required to hand fit them made production less than feasible for NAA.
Old February 9, 2017, 09:06 AM   #21
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
The Ranger was a VERY limited production of top-breaks. Basically a test run. My understanding is that the time required to hand fit them made production less than feasible for NAA.

Understood... but like I said, if they come out with it again, I would buy one.

If Rangers weren't going for $2,600 on GunBroker... I'd consider finding an original.
Old February 9, 2017, 09:58 AM   #22
khegglie

The cast frame looks rough..... I wonder if it could stand up to 22 magnum power.

I want a swing out mini in 22 mag.
Old February 9, 2017, 10:49 AM   #23
Glenn E. Meyer

NAA is rethinking a top break IIRC to be more reasonable to produce.

I passed on buying an original - DUH!
Old February 9, 2017, 11:02 AM   #24
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
NAA is rethinking a top break IIRC to be more reasonable to produce.

From what I've seen, MSRP on the originals was $499. If they increased it to $799, I'd probably still consider it... mainly due to it being so cool.

Top breaks aren't a hard design to produce, but shrinking it to that size, and keeping it strong to handle .22 Magnum makes it a little more challenging. But I don't like pulling the cylinder completely out for reloading. The Sidewinder is a great option, but a top break would go along nicely with it.
Old February 9, 2017, 11:46 AM   #25
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Look, I can only evaluate what I see. The gun pictured looks crudely finished. I especially don't like the screw in the middle of the frame.

In my opinion, single-action mini-revolvers are meant to be eye-candy more than a practical self-defense weapon. So, if someone makes one of these, I'd expect it to be sweet-tasting to my eyes, or really unique for me to even consider purchasing one.
To bring such a crude looking offering to the biggest industry show in the world is really curious. Especially if they plan to "clean it up" before bringing it to market. If they plan to clean it up before bringing it to market. As-is it looks more in line with something having a MSRP in the $150 or less range.
If I spend $200+ for a novelty range toy I at keast want it to look pretty too. Yes, I have cheap guns with a low end finish. But I didn't pay the same price as my nicer guns for them.

Tags
mini revolver