The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 22, 2017, 12:00 PM   #1
Carmady

Newest Beretta Pico - are all the bugs gone?

I'm interested in this pistol mainly because of its sights, but I've read a lot about problems with broken firing pins, slippery slide serrations, and hard to rack slides. I've seen where Beretta made "Upgraded" versions for over a year.

I think the newest Picos look like the one in the 2nd post of this thread:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...highlight=pico

Notice the larger serrations, and relocated Beretta name and logo close to the front sight (instead of over the trigger).

Do these differences on the slide ID the newest incarnation of the Pico, and is the pistol reliable?
Old January 22, 2017, 01:42 PM   #2
PSP

The box will say "upgraded" if it comes from the factory already upgraded. The slide serrations are an indication as well. Older Picos may have upgraded parts but will lack the newer more aggressive slide serrations.

In the couple of months since that post I've shot every kind of ammo I had and bought four more. All have worked without problem. I've landed on Hornady to carry. Very reliable gun.
Old January 22, 2017, 03:24 PM   #3
Carmady

I've seen new Picos online with the old style slide in "upgraded" boxes. They may have made a few versions of upgraded Picos over the last year or so, but I'm under the impression that the new slide is the big clue for the latest upgraded version.

I'm glad to hear you're happy with yours.
Old February 18, 2017, 11:31 AM   #4
Carmady

I bought one this week, but haven't shot it yet. It looks like the newest version with the larger slide serrations and moved logo.

I prefer these sights to those on the LCP (gen 2 with the "big" sights). I prefer the LCP's grip by a long shot, but will try to enlarge the Pico's with an inner tube.

My only concern is weakness of the trigger reset/return. If there's anything to obstruct the trigger return, I doubt if there's enough oomph to overcome it.

If this slide racks with "upgraded easier operation" the earlier one must a real bear. Bearetta.

I like it overall.
Old February 18, 2017, 01:41 PM   #5
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Dear carmady,

Can you post a photo of both sides of the gun.

I have one comming as well and want to make sure it is the newest model.

Why would you modify the gun? i think that is not an good idea.
If you do not like the grip go for another pistol.
The pistol is meant for deep concealed disguised carry and not supposed to be an comfort "Hotel with spa" rather than it is supposed to be a "monastery" (to use that analogy) with the simplicity, reliability and Long life of an "Monk".
Old February 18, 2017, 03:54 PM   #6
PSP

Quote:
Why would you modify the gun?
Not all hands are the same. Some times a grip sleeve can make a huge difference.
Old February 19, 2017, 07:14 AM   #7
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

I hate that when People take a file and saw to "modify" their guns.

That should be done by the factory or don't buy that gun.

I don't like "Garage gunsmiths" who add wires to their guns after they destroyed them trying to "make 'em better".

I have an Pachmayr grip sleeve as well ready for when my Beretta FS 92 arrives and I have very smll Hands.
Indeed the gun and grip of an S&W Bodyguard or Taurus 380 mouse gun just fits me perfectly.
Old February 19, 2017, 07:58 AM   #8
Carmady

I hate it when people put curb feelers on their tractors.
Old February 19, 2017, 08:30 AM   #9
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Carmady,

I would appreciate if you can post 2 photos of each side of your Pico.

Just to see how the upgraded Version Looks like.
Old February 19, 2017, 09:20 PM   #10
Carmady

These aren't mine.

The one with the box is the older upgraded version. Note the Beretta name and logo/trident in the middle over the trigger on the lower half of the slide.

The other one, by itself, is the newest version. Note the Beretta name and logo/trident near the front sight on the upper half of the frame. This gun has some kind of grip tape, and the pinky extension was trimmed down. There are differences in the serrations, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B Pico .jpg (77.1 KB, 1080 views)
File Type: jpg B Pico mag base mod.jpg (112.2 KB, 1062 views)
Old March 2, 2017, 07:49 PM   #11
Kwik2010

Small issue

I purchased a Pico this afternoon amd ran into a problem fresh out of the box. Luckily it was easily cured but i though I'd give you a heads up in case you have the problem as well. When I got home from the store I went about my normal routine with disassembly and cleaning per the manual and then loading up snap caps and racking a few hundred times before the weekend to smooth things out. On the third round in the flush fit magazine, the slide would not come back. It was completely locked forward. I could not figure it out. I dropped the magazine and then it worked just fine. I repeated the process with every kind of ammo I had at my disposal. Nothing would keep it from happening. After several attempts to search for this issue online I found absolutely nothing. After about an hour of being extremely upset about my brand new firearm not working and trying to investigate the issue I realized what was wrong with what I can only describe as a divine intervention cuz I never would have thought it upon my own. The follower in this magazine was fitting really tightly inside the magazine tube. The front "flag" of the follower (I don't know what it would be called, sorry) was catching the magazine retainer in the front of the grip and not allowing the third round to press down and make room for the slide to come back. After some very minor pressing with my bare hands I was able to make it work flawlessly. Not a huge issue but gave me a small heart attack because it's not every day I drop several hundred dollars down on a firearm.
Old March 2, 2017, 08:10 PM   #12
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Thanks Kwik2010 for sharing.

Does it shoot smooth? What about the recoil? Is the trigger Plastik or metallic? How is the slide rack easyness?

Seems to Beretta is cheapening out their guns.
Old March 2, 2017, 08:20 PM   #13
Kwik2010

I haven't fired this particular one yet so I wont go into that. I know a lot of people complain that the slide is difficult to rack. It is a small gun but this newer model seems to allow a much better purchase on the slide. I don't have any problems racking it. But I'm also 6'0 and 250. So however ya wanna take that. From what I can tell the trigger is a polymer of some kind. My magnet won't stick to it.

*The last one I shot was more difficult to rack. That was back in 2014.
Old March 3, 2017, 12:20 AM   #14
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Kwik2010,

I would be glad if you can give an detailed inform once you shot the Pico. May be as well chronograph data.
Old March 3, 2017, 09:30 AM   #15
Kwik2010

I don't have a chronograph but I'll see if I can borrow one. I'll be taking it to the range this weekend. I'll let ya know how it goes.
Old March 3, 2017, 09:37 AM   #16
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

With my Beretta Pico 380 acp order I ordered as well an spare frame.

This spare frame I just got.
It fits perfectly in my hand. A little short though (one.5 finger hold but the extended mag will remedy that) but the grip is very firm so I have a feeling shooting it one handed will even more doable than shooting it 2 handed. One hand shooting may be best with this pistol.

The grip is NOT slippery.
The polymer build of the grip is very sturdy.
The magazine release is even metal and it is not so bad to operate the mag release. It is different but with 2 fingers sliding it down is very practical (one finger is a bit harder).

But this gun is anyways not an combat gun for quick reloads but rather an Self Defense emergency gun.

I can see already that I will like it (considered it may never be used in an emergency situation).
Old March 3, 2017, 08:43 PM   #17
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Regards the "hard to operate Magazine Lever".

The Magazine release Lever is very well to operate with one finger if you grease lube it with liquid grease spray.
I just did it and it smoothed out quiet a bit.

Obviously this style of Magazine release latches will "use up" your finger after about 50 Magazine changes.
But considered in a defensive Situation you about Change only twice the Magazine (after about Shooting 18 rounds) you supposed to be dead or the attacker has deceased or given up. This Kind of weapon is made for max changing once the Magazine in a fire fight.

For this reason the magazine Lever is not an critical part and works very well.
Only the american consumer isn't used to other things he allways was used to, so People consider this style of Magazine release as "awkward" (even if in reality the latch works flawless, uses and customs are a persistant animal hard to overcome).
Old March 3, 2017, 09:17 PM   #18
Carmady

It amazes me, all the bad press the Pico gets (on youtube in particular).

There's nothing wrong with the mag release. I use my left thumb and index finger and catch it with the heel of my left hand. I've seen/heard a lot of complaints about it, but I could also do it one handed with my thumb only while holding the gun with that hand, with either hand. I don't see what all the fuss is about. I'll stick with the thumb/finger way because I think it's easier on the parts. You have to pull down instead of push a button, but it's no big deal.

I shot mine for the first time today, but had to stop about half way through the ammo because the front sight flew off. I was standing on a 9x12 tarp (to catch the brass) and the sight landed on the tarp, with the set screw still in it. More divine intervention. It'll get a dab of Loctite 242 when I put it back on. The manual says it takes a 1.3mm allen wrench, but a .050" works for me. I have no idea why a USA made Pico takes a 1.3mm...

I haven't seen or heard it said, and I've only shot it 69 times, but this thing is NOTHING LIKE A LCP to shoot. I was expecting semi-obnoxious recoil, but was surprised. I believe that someone who has never fired a pistol would enjoy it. It did have a leather strip and some inner tube action to extend and cushion the back strap, but that was more for grip than anything else.

If I had to pick one main gripe, it would be the stock grip. Not so much because of the grip itself, but how it affects the trigger finger.

Overall, I'm delighted with this little jewel.
Old March 3, 2017, 09:28 PM   #19
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Thanks Carmady for sharing,

That was I figuring as well theoretically: this gun will be a soft shooter. Maybe that is due to the high bore axis (1873 Colt SAA plow handle effect).

2 things however bother me a bit:
the firing pin prone to break and the Trigger should be stainless as well instead of Plastik.

Big plus and deal breaker for me was the modularity of the Beretta Pico 380 Auto.
And it fits perfectly (at least the spare grip what I have at the Moment) the disguised conceal cellphone Holster.

BTW: there is a new derringer in form of an actual cell phone (2 Barrel 380 acp).
Old March 3, 2017, 10:09 PM   #20
Bill DeShivs

The Pico is a butt-ugly gun-in my opinion.
Old March 3, 2017, 10:15 PM   #21
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Bill Theshivs,

Quote:
Only the american consumer isn't used to other things he allways was used to, so People consider this style of Magazine release as "awkward" (even if in reality the latch works flawless, uses and customs are a persistant animal hard to overcome).
Seems to american are not used to european style so all what is european is "mah" and "bah".
Kind of english depreciate all Continental european so vote in favour of Brexit.

It is different from People used to; so it can't be other than bad!
Old March 3, 2017, 10:33 PM   #22
Kwik2010

Alright, first trip to the range.

I set up a few boxes ranging from 3 to 30 yards. Ya I know that's way beyond what this handgun is meant for but I was curious. I focused mainly on the 7 yard target because that's what the standard seems to be from all I've seen.

4 boxes of Blazer Brass ammo to ensure it was broke in and then a few different boxes of defensive hp ammo. I couldn't get a chronograph so I don't have that kind of data.

The trigger pull was long and heavy but after the first few magazines, I had it dialed in. All of the fmj ammo ran flawlessly which isn't uncommon in my experience.

I noticed all my shots were to the right of center and when I looked at the rear sight more closely I realized it was pressed all the way to the far right. After some digging around and a divine intervention once again, I produced a 1.3 mm hex and adjusted it to as close to center as my eyeball could tell.

For such a small pistol it is more accurate than I am. At the 30 yard mark I was able to put my shots on paper (18" target) when I did my part off a rest and free hand. The large sights helped. At the 7 yard accuracy was far better than I expected. When I took my time groups were between 2 and 4 inches. I'm working on my point shooting so those numbers aren't near as impressive but were still acceptable in my opinion.

The recoil was not terrible. My hand (medium/largeish) was able to get a solid grip on the Pico but wasn't entirely happy by the end of it. It might have been because I just put 350 +/- rounds through a very small handgun. I wouldn't have lasted half that with my girlfriend's LCP (I'm not dogging the LCP. I think it's a fine handgun and swear by Ruger but this Pico just suits me better.)

The mag release was difficult to manipulate in the beginning but once I practiced some it was no longer an issue.

Surprisingly all defensive ammo I ran through it also functioned flawlessly. My personal favorite for now is the Sig 90 gr V Crown. I also put Speer Gold Dot 90 gr GDHP, Hornady Critical Defense 90 gr FTX, and Hornady American Gunner 90 gr XTP with no reliability issues. (The firearm was stripped and cleaned per manufacturer's recommendation prior to going to the range.)

Last edited by JohnKSa; March 4, 2017 at 01:19 AM.
Old March 3, 2017, 10:44 PM   #23
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

kwik2010,

You do not Sound to me that happy about the gun.

How does it shoot?
Soft, hard?

did you hit anything at 30 Yards?

30 Yards is not an unrealistic range. Considered you run and shoot to an persecuter. The more distance there is between victim an offender the better.

30 meters is a good distance to fend off any threath.

My self defense distance is 25 meters. Any closer I would not want any threath.
Old March 3, 2017, 10:52 PM   #24
Kwik2010

Sorry. I accidentally clicked post long before I was done typing. I think I answered most of your questions.
Old March 3, 2017, 11:35 PM   #25
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Thanks kwik2010.
I am sure all readers appreciate your info.

It happens I have very small hands. So that is basically one of the few advantages of having small hands.
Medium to large hands will twarp and wrap fingers on the Picos grip.

Having very small hands I just can tell the grip os fitting me perfectly.

Waw. 350 rounds is much ammo.
At 30 yards the gun is then a movement-of-torso accurate gun. 18“ should be in the ballpark of an torso center mass. Nice shooting.