The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2001, 03:40 PM   #1
old hawk

hi im using h4895 powder and 150 gr hornady .308 roundnose #3035 bullets.i use the same powder and bullet in my 30-30 with
great results with 34.3 gr h4895 and now i need to get a good proper load for my 30-06 with these two components,the 150 gr
rn and h4895, i use cci primers and all my 30-06 brass is lake city match cases 76 and 63.what i need is someone whose
loaded these and some data to work with,my gut instinct says i should start at 42 .gr of h4895 but im asking first as all i can
find is data on boatails and heavier bullets.i would like to keep the round nose as i like the results it does when im out hunting
with it so i need a good deer load for one and a good plinker load for seconds with same bullet for the 30-06 though.the bullet
drop with the plinker i can adjust elevation for if need be.
ill be using a 1903 sporter (safe number folks) springfield with a remington 9-43 two groove barrel in mint shape with a 6x18
scope.in my house i like to use the same bullet and powder for my 30's to keep it simple in my reloading with no mix-up
hazards.any info is much greatly appreciated. L.Hawk
Old February 10, 2001, 06:38 PM   #2
HankL

Hornady's 4th addition list 45.1 grs. of H4895 as a starting load for thier 150 gr projectiles. Your #3035 RN is on the list. Since you are using military brass and they were not I would say that your starting point would be about right on the money. With a fine 1903 like yours you should probably be able to work the load up a bit for better results. Good luck

Old February 10, 2001, 07:50 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

"Loadbooks USA"

This company publishes reloading manuals for individual cartridges. I bought a .30-'06 manual from them; around 60 pages of loading data. All powders, bullets, and on and on...They also have a .30-30 manual.

You can order online at http://www.loadbooks.com

The most complete information on exterior ballistics and trajectories, etc, is in the Sierra books. They explain how the calculations are done, and have beaucoup tables and charts.

Best luck,

Art
Old February 10, 2001, 08:11 PM   #4
old hawk

many thanx !, i appreciate the help! i like the slower burning 4895 powders alot.
Old February 11, 2001, 01:24 AM   #5
Paul B.

Old Hawk. If your 150 gr. RN bullet is designed primarily for 30-30 velocities, it will be very destructive on venison at top velocity. There was an article called "Dynamite on Deer" in an early copy of, I believe GUNS Magazine. The Author was loading 30-30 type bullets on rounds such as the .308 Win. and 30-06. This ws, if memory serves, sometime in the late 1960s. I tried his loads, and yes,if you hit a shoulder, rather than the lungs, you threw the whole front quarter away. I'm not trying to dissuade you from what you want to do; just passing on what happened when I did it. One thing about the loads though. With a good lung shot, they didn't go far. Remember though. Stay away from the big bones.
Paul B.
Old February 11, 2001, 03:24 PM   #6
old hawk

paul many thanx for the advice as well. i think ill start out at 38 grains tho as a precaution to that just in case and work up to maybe 42 max. with me its always a lung shot carefully placed but if i do hit the shoulder i sure dont want to trash it much,hence the 38gr. at least at 38 gr starting the fps will be low enough that i feel ok if i do happen to hittem theyre.hopefully not,should also make a nice low recoil round too as i aint young as i used ta be to test a few boxes at the range,so if i can get a good one under 42 somehow and between 38 i can always sight the scope to it and leave wll enuff alone for minute of deer accuracy.i do know that the max load is 35gr in the 30-30 for this load which i thought was a bit much so i loaded up some at 34.3 and 30.2 ,the 34 .3 i use mainly for long 200 yard shots and the 30.2 for all under that with a very good mushroom and no breakup on it as well upon impact after digging a few out over the years of the opposite blade.