The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 25, 2013, 05:58 PM   #1
IDT

Yet another Mosin Nagant Thread -

One Mosin Nagant arrived at my front door today via UPS.
Its a 1938 91/30 7.62x54r Izhevsk completely stamped & numbers matched specimen. The bolt is in fantastic shape and although my borescope took a **** on me, from what I can tell the lands and groves are in immaculate shape. As soon as my "normal job" work load lightens up some - or this weekend, whichever comes first, I'll take this out and see how it shoots. Already checked the headspace with a go/no-go gauge and it passed! So far, so good.

Ordered it from Allan's Armory - and it came with all the accessories shown above and even in a case. The stock BEAUTIFUL!

Old June 25, 2013, 06:03 PM   #2
Duzell

congrats on the new mosin, if you need any help with stuff just ask, we are here to help.
Old June 25, 2013, 06:05 PM   #3
IDT

Well, I think what I'd like is to know the impossible.

People say that 99.999% of all pre-war manufactured Nagents were issued and of those 95% saw combat. Since this weapon is in immaculate condition, I'm starting to think it must have been issued to an officer who led from the rear.

Is there ANY way to know the history of this specific weapon?
Old June 25, 2013, 06:25 PM   #4
Duzell

there are some sites that can check the serial number on your rifle, i never really looked into that, but its worth a try.i wouldnt know any other way to check, id say wait to see if someone else knows useful sources, id actually like to know now.
i know most mosins have been in a war at some time, my own mosin was beautiful out of the box. but after disassembly i noted rust damage under the top hangaurd, and i had to treat before it got any worse. so make sure you strip her down to make sure there is no issues.

Mosin disassembly
-remove bolt by holding trigger and pulling bolt back, this will pull it out of the channel. set this aside.

-press the 2 pins on the right side along the barrel,(one at a time) this will allow you to move the rings forward and set them up front to take hand guard out(the area my rifle had water/rust damage)

-now remove the wood guard, place aside

-unscrew bottom barrel screw, remove set aside

-unscrew the screw in the area behind the bolt(top rear of rifle)

-now pull top receiver and barrel/trigger away, and pull the fixed magazine out, now watch the triger, there is a small pin that can drop out , this is replaceable , but just something to note.

now its disassembled, check parts for the cosmo thats so common on mosins, and this allows you to properly access to other parts
Old June 25, 2013, 06:38 PM   #5
IDT

Thanks!
Old June 25, 2013, 08:06 PM   #6
IDT

No rust.
No rot.
Virtually zero blemishes on the barrel...

I think I did good.
Old June 26, 2013, 01:17 AM   #7
mmarc77

Beautiful wood and you did well!!!!!!!!!!!
Old June 26, 2013, 03:21 AM   #8
Skarekrow88

And here I thought I did good with mine. I searched the rack at my LGS for over an hour trying to find one that had matching serial numbers and had at least decent wood and good rifling. Ended up with one that has force matched serial numbers, great rifling, and by the standards of the Mosin Nagants for sale in my LGS, amazing wood, but the furniture on yours makes mine look like it was used to dig trenches. What really gets me is that you ordered yours without knowing whether you'd get a good one or one that had been dragged across a battlefield and you end up with one that is in near showroom condition. Oh well, with my luck if I had ordered mine I would've ended up with one nowhere near as nice as the one I bought
Old June 26, 2013, 09:20 AM   #9
IDT

Allan's Armory is where I ordered my from. He is an "online only" seller of C&R weaponry. He lists and grades each rifle and posts photos of them on his site with their own stock number for each one.

While you kind of have to trust what he says about the lands and groves, you get a chance to see, first hand, what the wood looks like and what the fit and finish are on the barrel and bolt.

I was skeptical at first, but bit the bullet and ordered one after reading about it on his site and decided to take the chance. Emailed him a copy of my C&R FFL and paid him via CC - then the following week, it arrived at my house via UPS.

Give them a shot - you may get a good deal as I did. Keep in mind that his prices are a little higher than most, but as you can see, the quality of the weapon is fantastic.
Old June 26, 2013, 05:27 PM   #10
Duzell

" Russian M91/30s in Laminate Stock
Are you tired of buying an “Excellent condition” Mosin Nagant 91/30 with an unknown bore condition?
At Allan’s Armory, you always know what you’re buying.
These rifles were all arsenal refinished to like new condition and look as though they were never reissued. Like all Russian M91/30s in laminate stocks, these have a heal splice and a hardwood hand guard."

id say the 165 price is fair on his rifles, considering the condition, but the 256 seems over priced.

but then again some gunshops/big 5's are selling them for 400-600, so its not that bad for an online store. i dont know the trustworthiness, but considering your find, i hope this is a good new source to tap for us mosin lovers
Old June 26, 2013, 06:55 PM   #11
IDT

Quote:
i dont know the trustworthiness, but considering your find, i hope this is a good new source to tap for us mosin lovers
My lawyer has used them in the past to get a Mauser and he was happy with the quality and the transaction. I'd say it's a safe place to shop.