The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 12, 2012, 06:50 PM   #1
Dustin746

Outdoor career?

I'm 16 and I know I want an outdoor job/career. I would like to do something along the lines of being a park ranger or a police officer, but I really can't think of any other jobs like that. Something where I can carry a firearm and protect people or wildlife. Anyone know anything else I could think about doing? I don't expect to be doing these things right out of high school, of course.

Last edited by Dustin746; November 12, 2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old November 12, 2012, 07:52 PM   #2
BarryLee

Have you considered a stent in the military? If so consider the Coast Guard I have some friends that were in and they had some pretty neat experiences protecting the environment and chasing bad guys. The stories they tell may be exaggerated a little, but it sounds like they had a lot of fun. It would seem the experience would serve you well if you pursue a career in environmental related law enforcement.

Also, you might simply consider heading off to college and pursuing a degree in biology or some other environmental related science. I suspect this would give you a lot more options in the long run. Remember you need to prepare not just for the job you want now, but the one you might want in twenty years. It is a lot easier to get a degree at twenty than at forty.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old November 12, 2012, 08:00 PM   #3
SPEMack618

Go to college. Major in Criminal Justice. After college it will be much asier to get hired on by various state fish and game agencies or federal law enforcememt.

Can't shake the bug yet, join the National Guard or find a local Boy Scout camp and spnd your summers working there. One of the more rewarding things you can do.
Old November 12, 2012, 08:04 PM   #4
Dustin746

Alright, thanks for the replies. I hadn't really though about the Coast Guard. I had looked at the National Guard but I don't really agree with why we're in Iraq and Afghanistan so i don't want to do that
Old November 12, 2012, 08:22 PM   #5
Wrothgar

Wildlife management, Coast Guard, park ranger, game warden, forestry, environmental science (not all hippies there, as the name implies, although there are plenty)
Old November 12, 2012, 10:15 PM   #6
twobit

Want something unusual.....google search "tick rider"
Old November 12, 2012, 10:54 PM   #7
Corrections Cop

Conservation Officer

Check this out

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...199---,00.html

Most if not all states have something like this. Like stated above go to school for criminal justice.
Old November 13, 2012, 01:48 AM   #8
Bud Helms

Off topic.

Closed.
Closed Thread