The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 14, 2011, 12:13 PM   #1
SPUSCG

Rubber grip tape

who makes good stuff? I want some to allow me to use support finger on curved trigger guards and maybe even under the guard. Dont like the sandpaper feel of skateboard tape, looking for something like decalgrip, but that is in a sheet i can cut to size
Old February 14, 2011, 12:37 PM   #2
glockcompact

What about a roll of Rubber electrical tape from your local hardware store. Not vinal but rubber electrical tape. Never tried it myself. Just giving you a thought.
Old February 14, 2011, 12:49 PM   #3
SPUSCG

I can try and look at some.
Old February 14, 2011, 01:02 PM   #4
Delaware_Dan

I recommend bat/tennis tape, but that might not fit the bill.

-Bruce Lee
Old February 14, 2011, 08:45 PM   #5
drail

I think your main problem with this idea is going to be the adhesive on the tape will be dissolved if it comes in contact with any type of gun oil. If you are willing to apply new tape every time you clean the gun it might work. Also on a hot summer day the adhesive will bleed out and get all over your hands. I know this from using various types of friction tape on my walking cane. The only tape I have found that doesn't make your hands sticky and stays put is the cloth tape bicyclists wrap their handlebars with.
Old February 14, 2011, 09:59 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

SA Sterling; 1911a1, Thomas Harris; gun magazines...

I've seen a few magazine & catalog ads for a brand that fits common semi autos. I think Pachymer(check spelling) sold sheets of material too but I'm not 100% sure if they still market it in bulk.

Skateboard taped pistol grips reminds me of the Thomas Harris novel I read about 10 years ago. It was a "Hannibal" novel and FBI agent Sterling was on a raid in the DC area. Harris wrote that she packed a big 1911a1 .45acp with the grip safety taped down with skateboard tape.
Jodie Foster passed on the role for the movie(saying correctly that it had graphic content) and I don't recall Julianna Moore's Special Agent Sterling using a full size 1911a1 in the same scene as the novel.

Clyde
ps; I'd add that for duty or protection, I would not tape down a 1911 grip safety or tamper with any firearm safety.
If sweat, rain, dust etc were big problems, I'd use a good pair of tactical duty gloves.
Old February 14, 2011, 10:10 PM   #7
gearchecker

skateboard tape is an excellent idea as long as you have it holstered carefully. One problem with skateboard tape is that it's highly abrasive by design. It will rub a hole thru denim in a reasonably short period of time. skateboard tape is much like sandpaper with the gripping surface.
Pachmeyer, Uncle Mike's and I'm sure a few other companies make grip sleeves that will provide the hold you're looking for without too much compromise.
http://www.corneredcat.com
Old February 15, 2011, 12:13 PM   #8
Delaware_Dan

Quote:
Harris wrote that she packed a big 1911a1 .45acp with the grip safety taped down with skateboard tape
The tape was on the front of the grip.

-Bruce Lee
Old February 15, 2011, 12:20 PM   #9
RickB

I use a 3M product that's intended as traction for stairs. It has a sort of rubbery texture, rather than the sandpaper texture of skate tape. I have had the same strip on one of my guns for three or four years, and the edges are still stuck all the way around. I went to the 3M website, and they have a lot of different traction products ("different materials and colors"), and I couldn't identify the exact one I'm using, but I can check the part number when I get home.
Old February 15, 2011, 06:21 PM   #10
SPUSCG

Hardware store had all vinyl, i want to keep shopping and look for some rubber. Find a grip that works for me but not well with rounded trigger guards.
Old February 15, 2011, 07:33 PM   #11
Ichiban

Maybe this?
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=426000
Old February 15, 2011, 07:39 PM   #12
egor20

Try Anti Slip Abrasive Tape

http://www.kofflersales.com/product.asp?cid=23&pid=36

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old February 15, 2011, 07:51 PM   #13
SPUSCG

BTW this is the first trigger guard i want it on, high up on it where it meets the frame:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (224.8 KB, 90 views)
Old February 16, 2011, 08:09 AM   #14
iblong

If you dont have a grip safety the 20" bike tube cut to fit works great.
Old February 16, 2011, 08:18 AM   #15
SPUSCG

Front of trigger guard not front strap.
Old February 16, 2011, 11:17 PM   #16
carprivershooter

grips

I read somewhere that person took bycycle tubes and cut them in sections to fit one of his pistols.It sounded like it worked for him. Just a thought.
Old February 18, 2011, 02:26 PM   #17
glockcompact

Heres the stuff I'm talking about. It's called rubber splicing tape. It's made by 3M. I found it on the web but I'm sure you can do better then $12.00 at a hardware/electrical store. Or some where else on line. They had it at our local hardware store (Home Depot) but I don't remember the cost. I would guess around 5-6 bucks a roll. It's good stuff very easy to stretch to get it to conform to uneven surfaces. But I have never tried it on metal. So again this is just a thought. Good luck.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...JI-isAOuhLTRCA

Last edited by glockcompact; February 18, 2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old February 18, 2011, 03:55 PM   #18
BigJimP

Tape is ugly .....

On guns where I "rap" my knuckle ....I wear a pair of shooting gloves. Actually the gloves I wear - are winter golf gloves. They are mady by Foot Joy - they come in pairs - they're black, and give you a good feel of the gun / you can pick up a dime wearing them ...and they're durable and only $ 20 a pair .....

They're good for shotgunning ....and handguns ( especially on a short barreled .44 mag revolver - that jumps a little ...)....

http://www.budgetgolf.com/FOOTJOY-RA...445_f0214_2126

any big box golf store will have them in the winter especially / or you can buy them online. I keep a pair in my range bag all the time ...and a pair in my Skeet and Sporting Clays vest...

They keep your hands dry and warm in winter / work well in summer too - when you're sweating on a clays course in high temps ...( way better than leather gloves ).
Old June 18, 2011, 05:23 PM   #19
Taptap

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=717864

it's rubberized grip tape, they make it in a bunch of different cuts. It's for sticking to polymer frames mostly, but it can be cut in any dimensions you need. Plenty for multiple applications to the front strap of a 1911.

I recommend cutting it wide enough that it fits just under the front edge of the grips. Keeps moisture off the metal there and it looks much better IMHO. Same way that checkering looks better when it goes right up to the grips.
Old June 23, 2011, 11:16 PM   #20
Mr. Whimsy

Some things I've done in a pinch b/c I couldn't find the above products:

-BIKE INNER TUBE = difficult to get on so I just quit

-RUBBER BANDS = The choice of 1970's crooks. 88 cents worth cured a magnum handgun of a painful wood grip. Time consuming and eventually they break and come off, but it worked for quite a while.

-WRIST WRAP = non-adhesive; the rubbery kind that sticks to itself. Wrapped tightly enough around a grip, it doesn't need to adhere to the gun. Extremely tacky and cushiony. Time degrades it eventually, but best non-slip grip of all time.

-PACHMAYR GRIPS AND A DREMEL = to hell with finger grooves, they're sized for gorillas so they get shaved off in this house.

No industrial adhesives will be placed upon my guns, period.
Old June 29, 2011, 10:36 AM   #21
flintshooter

Maybe that liquid you dip tool handles in to cushion them. I imagine it could be applied with a small brush and since it seems to stick to tools it might not come off easily when exposed to gun oil. That may be the easiest thing in view of where you are trying to put it. All of the tubular things being suggested would need to be cut and wrapped in some manner to fit there.
Old June 29, 2011, 12:42 PM   #22
oneounceload

There is a stretchy rubber product that a plumber can use to quickly seal a leak in a pipe - it has no glue, it stretches and "sticks" to itself
Old June 30, 2011, 08:58 AM   #23
shortwave

I also like the bicycle inner tube.

Have it on both my Beretta 92F/96D and a few Glocks owners I shoot with recommend it on their Gen1, Gen2 Glocks.
Old June 30, 2011, 09:56 AM   #24
zukiphile

I will third bicycle innertube. It is thin, doesn't move around even when wet, and the price is right, i.e. routinely free.
Old June 30, 2011, 01:11 PM   #25
SadistAssassin

Check out Hockey tape