The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 1, 2011, 10:46 AM   #1
Andy Griffith

Goex Reinactor powder review

I shouldn't have bought a can of it on an order, because I figure it has got to be some worthless stuff for actually shooting projectiles accurately...it is meant for making lots of smoke a boom- not a "sporting" powder...but...

I kinda liked the looks of the tin. So, I bought a can on an order and tried it.

It actually seems to work pretty good in my New Englander shotgun. I see no difference in fouling at all from regular FFg or Fg Goex.A bit more smoke- which is wonderful when you are at a range and there is a tacticool shooter next to you. Of course, reinactors want lots of smoke for effect- most of the time shooters don't really.

The grains seem to be a mixture of mostly FFg size, with some FFFg and a very few Fg size grains mixed in with a bit more dust than usually found in regular Goex.

I haven't tried it in a pistol yet, but think it would just be marginal for it.

The next time I order, I might add another can- there are times when more smoke is desired.

I'll add some pictures when I get some later tomorrow- I'm going to shoot it in my old Husky and see what happens.
Old July 1, 2011, 12:23 PM   #2
Poodleshooter

Interesting. I'd bet it's a lot of regular manufacture that they just don't screen as well for sizing purposes.
Is it cheaper than regular Goex?
Old July 1, 2011, 01:17 PM   #3
Andy Griffith

Only $1.50 cheaper per can.
Old July 14, 2011, 12:10 AM   #4
Ideal Tool

My local black powder shop owners opinion?...Floor sweepings!
Old July 14, 2011, 01:44 PM   #5
Rachen

I've never used Reenactor powder, but based on the price, I'd say this:

Reenactor powder: Nikolai/Georgi vodka

Standard Goex FF/FFFg: Absolut/Grey Goose/Smirnoff

The Reenactor powder probably consists of lesser quality grains from the same mill that they produce the hunting/target powder from.

(Reason for my comparison: Bad experience with Nikolai had me puking for hours. NEVER again!)
Old July 14, 2011, 10:23 PM   #6
Gehrhard

Haven't read all thread -- in a rush.

Used it for a bit. The grains run from large 4f thru 1f PER THE MANUFACTURER. Cheaper as little control over grain-size as it really isn't used for target shooting/hunting. They told me it is reliable to flash every shot due to some fine granules, but "where it really sings" is in canon. Suggested that's really all it should be used for. After pelting people 50 yards away with 1f powder grains on the field (screaming "elevate" when I WAS) I soon relegated it to a coehorn mortar and a swivel gun charge.

Not worth the savings for small arms even in a reenactment IMO, or the makers. Actually, dangerous -- I scared if didn't actually hurt people with it.