The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 22, 1999, 05:04 PM   #1
Peter M. Eick

I picked up a bunch of federal 98 45 ACP range brass recently and found that after depriming them every one left a ring of the primer down in the primer pocket on the case.

Needless to say I cannot reload them till I get this ring of primer out of the pocket. It appears that during depriming I just pushed the flat part of the primer off.

Any suggestion on how to save the cases? They are very nicely made and I have "lots" of them.

Thanks

pete
Old December 22, 1999, 10:07 PM   #2
WalterGAII

Could be that they are crimped military brass. Natchez is selling NATO match .45 by Federal. Maybe you got some of that stuff. If you did, you're going to have to use a swaging tool or some other kind of tool that is used to remove the crimps from military brass.
Old December 22, 1999, 10:39 PM   #3
Grayfox

Peter,
I ran into this not too long ago with some .38 specials I had recently bought. I posted the question in a thread called "Unusual primer problem". You can do a search for it if you like.

Here's the short version. What you have are called "ringers" and are the result of the brass having been wet for a while. I found that by inserting a punch slightly smaller than the ringer into it and using it like a pry bar, the rings came out without too much trouble. I only had about 30 to do, you might want to consider if you want to go to the trouble for a large amount of brass.
Old December 23, 1999, 10:15 PM   #4
Peter M. Eick

Thanks Grayfox. I appologize for not doing a heavy search of the older threads.

I will probably start prying them out at the rate of maybe 20 or 30 a night. I have far to much of the stuff not to make a good stab at it.

pete