The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 20, 2002, 10:16 PM   #1
JNewell

Glass bedding a Winchester M70

I'm assuming that the areas that need to be most carefully prepared and glassed are (obviously) around the recoil lug/forward action screw and -- this is the question -- around the tang and rear trigger guard screw? The middle action screw (forward trigger guard screw) and the corresponding area of the stock do not seem to have a whole lot of surface to bear on. Since I assume that two points are better bedded tightly than three, for more even and repeatable mating of the receiver and stock, I assume you'd rely on the lug/fwd screw and tang/rear triggerguard screw?
Old March 20, 2002, 11:38 PM   #2
kurt IA.

Thats the way I do it, front and rear.
Old March 21, 2002, 12:12 PM   #3
Celt

What is best, is to cut that middle screw way short and grease it real well. Build up a bit of glass where it goes through the stock. push it in the glass.
This screw is best left onlt as to hold the trigger guard on and to exert no pressure ay all on the action.
Celt