The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 13, 2015, 12:02 PM   #1
MRummler

RCBS Explorer Plus

I am looking at venturing into reloading and am wondering if anyone has experience with this kit?
It looks to have everything I would need to get started except dies.
I will be starting with 9mm and 45acp. I have a couple of rifles too so eventually I would like to reload .300 savage and .30-30.
I have also been eyeing the Dillon RL550B or XL650. Might be a little over my head to start but I am a fast learner and like to take my time till I get things figured out.
I will continue my reading of what I find here. Lots of great info so far.
Old July 13, 2015, 12:39 PM   #2
Single-Sixer

Both companies offer outstanding equipment. Both have great customer support. Since you are a beginner, the question is: Do you shoot the volume necessary for a progressive press? There is a sticky on the forum for first timers. Read it. I shoot a fair amount of pistol and I use a Lyman turret press. I like that approach, but YMMV! Being somewhat conservative I'd suggest the RCBS or equivalent kit unless you just have to have the volume a progressive provides. Better to learn the basics a step at a time and learn the craft before going for high volume production. Others here know more than I do, so I'll close with: Don't be in a rush. That's a bad thing in this hobby. Take your time and learn. You can always upgrade but may find you don't need to!

Welcome to the forum and the hobby!
Old July 13, 2015, 02:07 PM   #3
Reloader270

RCBS has excellent customer service! They replaced parts which was short on a Piggyback without cost in South Africa.
Old July 14, 2015, 12:28 AM   #4
DaleA

Don't forget to get a case cleaner too.

Lots of different types on the market, stainless steel pins, ultra-sonic but here's a good basic one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/103...ProductFinding
Old July 14, 2015, 12:46 AM   #5
Clark

I got the RCBS rockchucker reloading kit when I started reloading in 1999.

1) Rockchucker press .. don't use it anymore, I now use Forster and Bonanza Co-ax presses with shellholer jaw housing I redesigned and made on my mill, and an RCBS Partner press.
2) "Speer 12" reloading manual... loads in it are a joke, I find my start load with Quickload software.
3) Bottle of glycerin for lube... don't use it any more, now use Redding imperial die wax.
4) Pad for applying glycerin... don't use it, I use my fingers.
5) Brush for lubing inside of case neck.. don't use it any more, I remove the expander ball so I don't need inside lube.
6) Loading tray made of plastic... don't use it. I seat bullets as soon as I charge the case, with a second press.
7) Wire brush for cleaning primer pockets. Don't use it.
8) case trimmer, don't use it anymore. I now use a Forster case trimmer or RCBS 3 way in the vertical mill
9) Funnel, don't use it, I use a Frankfort Arsenal or MTM funnel.
10) 5-0-5 scale [Ohaus OEM]... I still use it.
11) Uniflow powder measure.... I still use it.
12) Inside outside neck chamfer [ Wilson OEM] I now use an RCBS low angle chamfer tool.

Other stuff I use not cross referenced to the kit:
1) Wilson Case gauge
2) Sinclair concentricity gauge
3) Lyman Moly coating kit, but with steel BBs and magnetic separation
4) Vibrators, ultra sound, and stainless steel media in a tumbler for cleaning
5) Forster and Lee priming tools
6) Lee Collet neck dies polished in my lathe.
7) Forster FL dies with necks honed out in Forster's Hardinge lathes.
8) Forster seating dies with seater stem polished on my lathe
9) Dial calipers
10) Enco set of pin gauges .0610" to .2500"
11) Enco set of pin gauges .2510" - .5000"
12) Optivisor magnifier headset
13) Dillon Super Swage 600 military crimp remover
14) Lux lamp magnifier
15) Bullets, brass, primers, and powder
16) Berry's bullets plastic ammo boxes
17) 3M Post-its for labeling.
18) Forster headspace go-gauge
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 15, 2015, 08:08 AM   #6
TimSr

I'm a big fan of RCBS kits because they are COMPLETE and have everything you need to get started except for dies and components. I starterd with the Partner press kit and still use everything except for the press which was too light duty for rifle rounds. I bought a Hornady 007 press which was their version of the RCBC Rock Chucker. The Special 5 will work fine, but you might appreciate the heavier press for rifle cartridges. You'll probably end up adding things as you proceed, but its better to learn what you are doing first, to better evaluate what additional equipment will really make your operation more effcient. You'll probably eventually end up with a brass tumbler of some sort, but no need for that to keep you from getting started right away. I'd get the kit, and read the manual before purchasing any components. I'd stick with components in the manual at first while learning the basics. Then you can look into less expensive alternative pistol bullets and learn how to apply data for similar bullets.
Old July 16, 2015, 10:22 PM   #7
cwall64

http://www.brianenos.com Has a pretty good write up on what kind of press to get based on volume of shooting. I'll add that I always use my 30+ year old Rockchucker to work up loads prior to running a large batch on my XL650. You'll always use a single stage at one point or another. When I am not using my Rockchucker for load development it has a RCBS bullet puller in it for things that need to be pulled do to something I did wrong on the Dillon...