The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 3, 2010, 02:47 PM   #1
The Scientist

Classic Turret and what else???

I've been looking and reading, and as a newbie, I am leaning at getting Lee's Classic Turret press. I've read the sticky post above for newbies... my questions are... what basics should I start w/ if I really want to be meticulous (I'm a perfectionist) and I don't shoot a lot.

Should I start out with a hand primer or just get Lee Safety Primer? If hand primer, which one?

And loading powder.. should I go with Lee's (is it a good system compared to others?) or will a better quality one fit on the Lee Press? If so, which one, RCBS? Or should I start out measuring individual powder?

I'm going to purchase Lee's carbide deluxe pistol die set and deluxe rifle die set from Midway(at the same time I purchase the press)... what else? I'm going to get the Frankford digital caliper that is on sale this month for 12.99.

I want to balance function and cost. From what I've read, the Lee Classic Turret is a good deal for the price. But I don't want to be a tightwad... I want quality equipment for accessories.

All help is appreciated, I look forward to starting this new endeavor... my kids will get involved w/ it too... should be fun.

Last edited by The Scientist; March 3, 2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old March 3, 2010, 03:18 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

i have a lee turret....lee dies.. rcbs powder measurers..couple of hornady dies for handguns
Old March 3, 2010, 03:21 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I made these same decisions a few months ago.... the cheapest place that I found for the parts was "Factory Sales", which I guess is just a few miles up the road from Lee's Factory.

Here's a list of parts, you'll obviously need to change the caliber specific ones to suit your needs:

Note that I mistakenly believed that the 3-hole turret would work in the 4-hole press, it does not, at least without buying additional parts.

You'll also want to add the case length gauges for your appropriate cartridges, the cutter and lock stud is useless without them.

I also bought the Franklin Arsenal calipers from Mid-Way. As for the scale, I bought a Frankland Arsenal digital scale but I haven't used it in conjunction with a known reliable scale enough to comment on its accuracy.

The Lee Safety-Prime works great.

Make sure that you get the PRO version of the Auto-disk, and the "Double Disk Kit" is definitely worthwhile for fine tuning your loads.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; March 3, 2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old March 3, 2010, 03:38 PM   #4
twice barrel

Just get the Safety Prime. It works slick on the Classic Turret Press. If you are going to be reloading for pistol and small capacity rifle cases I recommend the Lee Pro Auto-disc powder measure and a Lee Riser.

If you intend to load for large capacity rifle cases get a different powder dispenser. You can just set a Lee Powder Funnel on top of a Lee Powder-thru or Universal Charge die. Slick.

Regards,

TB
Old March 3, 2010, 03:53 PM   #5
RB98SS

Reloading manuals -- preferably 2
Don't forget a scale, beam or electronic.
A set of calibration weights to check your scale is important.
I like the Lee Pro Auto Disk.
I like the Safety Prime.
Lee Classic -- best price, unfortunately out of stock... http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...ir=210|212|237
Tumbler and media.
Loading blocks are nice too.
Chamfer/Deburrer depending on what calibers.

COMPONENTS

I'm sure I missed something....
Old March 3, 2010, 03:59 PM   #6
NWPilgrim

I have the Classic Turret Press and like it a lot.

Here are some ideas:

- While I like the Pro Auto Disk measure for many handgun applications, I find my RCBS Uniflow measure with micrometer stem to be the overall most versatile while still being accurate. It does not like large grain powder such as IMR4064, but does OK with small stick powders such as H4895 and Varget. A measure gets a lot of use so I would spend whatever you need to one that matches your needs. Redding makes some nice measures as well. A good measure, a good scale, and a good caliper will keep you out of a lot of problems.

- I like the Lee Factory Crimp Die for handgun and rifle cartridges. They are adjustable so make use of that fact to apply just as much crimp as you need. I like to crimp as a step separate from bullet seating, especially with lead bullets and the accumulated lube.

- Since getting the Lee Safety Prime for my turret press I have not used my two RCBS hand prime tools. I really like the Safety Prime.

- I've never used digital calipers, but I see no advantage over them and possible problems compared to dial calipers. A dial caliper you can see if it is zeroed and is reading correctly compared to nearby readings.

- You need a bulelt puller: the RCBS inerti puller is great for small number of handgun and larger rifle bulltes. But a press mounted collet puller (like Hornady) is better for large number of cases or for light bulelts (under 100 gr).

- I haven't used the Lee powder scale but it is cheap enough to at least try it out. I started with an RCBS 1010 scale which has been very good. Not sure I would spend $150 on one now (they were $70 back then). But a powder scale will get a lot of use so you want one you trust and like to use. However, most weighing is for a small number of cases to calibrate and spot check a measure so you don't need an electronic scale.

- If you load rifle you will need case prep tools, especially a trimmer. I like the Wilson trimmer and Sinclair stand, but there are many good ones out there. I also use RCBS X-Die resizer dies so I only size once and get many more reloadings per case. Also need a chamfer/deburring tool.

- Get Lee's reloading manual, plus at least one more like Lyman's, Speer, or Sierra.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 3, 2010, 07:31 PM   #7
The_Vigilante

Classic Turret and what else???

+1 on all of the responses above. Just add a Lee Adjustable Charge bar for loads that fall in between the Lee disks.
Old March 3, 2010, 10:24 PM   #8
jmortimer

You will never regret getting the Lee Precision Classic Turret Press. You should get Lyman's Manual and Modern Reloading by Richard Lee especially if your are going to use Lee Precision equipment.